Internet Sharing + MMS now working on AT&T 920 w/ USA T-Mobile SIM

ariez84

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I have an update!

I was able to follow steps two and three and get the internet sharing to work with T-mobile.

Since I did not have a foreign SIM,I replaced step one with the following:
I downloaded the Spanish (spain) Keyboard
then verified that the internet sharing was on
Turned the phone off and removed the sim.

Proceeded to step two and three.
Got it working
Well this didnt work...I cant turn on internet sharing...it takes me to a tmobile page saying I need to upgrade my plan...even thought I called tmo up and said my plan includes it.

Ruben Garcia5

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks So much for this post.

I Recently brought an ATT Lumia 1020 and asked att to unlocked for me and they did witouth any questions. (Lucky).
After one month of using it with Att, i switched to t-mobile, and everything was working fine until i tried to Share some internet from my phone to my laptop. It didnt let me.

I Read this post and luckily i had a Mexican "Telcel" 128k Sim Card. I cutted the sim card and follow all the instruccions and it WORKED!!

AGAIN THANKS SO MUCH

pezman726

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I Recently brought an ATT Lumia 1020 and asked att to unlocked for me and they did witouth any questions. (Lucky).

WTH!! I tried to get them to unlock my wife's L920 (had it for about 8 months or so) and they refused! luckily I got my 920 unlocked before they went all crazy about their unlock policy!

Anyway. I've got my L920 unlocked and working on T-Mobile's network without any problems. Just tossed the SIM in there and it worked. I just tested MMS (my wife sent me a picture of our daughter) and it came through fine, without any tweaking or anything. I am on the 500MB plan, so i wasn't concerned with internet sharing, but i guess with this new bump up to 1GB, sharing is included. Not sure If I'll ever use it, but i might try it.

My question on this though, is if anybody has tried to get this to work with something other than the stock AT&T Lumia 920 ROM. I'd like to get Data Sense on my phone, so I'm either going to flash the at&t DEV rom, or some other rom (rogers) to it. Ideally, I'd like to get whatever ROM will get the updates the fastest. Is there an 'unbranded developer rom' out there that tends to get updates pushed to it first? And will MMS and Sharing work with that?

Thanks,
Pez

Vmartinez39

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Ok I got a Nokia Lumia 928. Was updated to Black.

Have:
Access Point
Network+

I thought I'd give this article a go. I have a foreign SIM from Ecuador. When I put it in, I got an "No data to share" I was bummed. Couldn't enable the Internet Sharing.

Put my T-Mobile (prepaid) back in and just tested Internet Sharing...

It worked. I was shocked. I stopped getting the stupid Must Enable Data/Tether message. The Catch-22 someone here mentioned. My main SIM is a Net10, and reading from Straight Talk working, I'm sure it will work. I'm going to test.

I guess now I have no excuse to keep me from making Lumia 928 my main device. Tether and use apps I need on Nexus 5. Isn't that backwards

I'm excited now this was best news ever. I'm sure that you still have to follow the steps in OP. But I really didn't feel like removing Access Point. That app is too convenient because I swap SIMs alot.

Vmartinez39

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
OK did more testing.

Didn't work with Net10 SIM. In fact, I think it locked the Foreign SIM flag because when I installed my T-Mobile sime back, it gave me that Catch-22 error (Sign up to tether).

I probably could have have worked but I really didn't want to uninstall ACCESS POINT

I swapped briefly my foreign SIM and unlocked it again for my T-Mobile SIM. It tethered. I tested and tethered my Access point. Its prepaid, I don't have Data T-Mobile, but when I tethered, I got webpage where They try to sell you or change plan.

Regardless it worked. Granted, didn't follow the instructions but I'm planning to go back again to T-Mobile. I've been hopping different wireless services. Who knows. Thanks for the info though. Glad we keep finding loopholes like this.

I hope Nokia really stops this madness. I say screw MS. They might as well go out in blaze of glory with a device thats unlocked and not be held back by silly stuff like this

dacarter77

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I thought I had a problem this morning when I got on the bus and tried to use sharing for the first time with my laptop. Got the message there is no cellular data connection to share, even though I had a good LTE signal. Rebooted the phone and it worked fine.

dacarter77

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE... I do have a problem. I get the "no cellular data connection to share" message every time I try to turn Internet Sharing on, and the only way around it is to reboot the phone, then Int Sharing works as long as I need it, but after some period of time after disconnecting, I can't turn it back on without getting the message. Anyone else run into this?

mz3

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Instead of restarting try turning airplane mode on and off. That resets the antennas and may fix your problem without having to reboot

chilenoinusa

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Just did it on my Nokia Lumia 1020 from AT&T, thank you so much!!!

Everything worked on this phone beautifully before, except the internet sharing. Now the phone is perfect!

Fortunately, this country is full of immigrants that constantly travel back to their county. My best friend had a regular size SIM card from Spain (Lebara Movil). I went across the street from my house to the cellphone repair place, the guy was able to cut the regular size SIM into a mini-SIM for the Nokia Lumia 1020. I followed the instructions as posted, and voila!!

One more thing, with LTE my laptop and tablet are getting 17.66Mbps download / 8.52Mbps upload

wp_ss_20140317_0003.png

Last edited:

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Worked on a Rogers 920 and 1020. I had a Thai AIS sim that i had to cut down to fit and it worked. I had to mess with the date a few times to get the uninstall prompt. Seems the year has to be 2110 higher. Also, you need to have data connection enabled in cellular otherwise mms doesn't work.

sequoia464

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Just to confirm that this also works for a 520. Had to send my six week old 920 in for repairs because battery life is down to 3-4 hours with very minimal use (not happy) - so I needed to get the 520 working with the internet sharing.

Thanks again to the OP

ariez84

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Is there any way I can barrow a SIM from a forum member?? (I will just ship it back to you once im done) I read this thread and it seem the only other person that this trick didnt work for had a Canadian Virgin SIM. (Which is what I have).

Tia Dillman

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I used the Orange Pre-Pay Sim Card on Amazon.com and it worked WONDERFULLY.

I have a Nokia Lumia 1020 and I wasn't being to get either MMS or internet sharing but I had access to data. I followed all the steps and at first I got a "There's no data connection to share right now...." error message when I tried the internet sharing but I just restarted my phone again and now it works perfectly! No issues at all!

Thank you so much!

Side Note: The Orange Pre-Pay Sim Card on Amazon is an add-on item so you have to buy $25 worth of stuff on amazon to add it to your order. But it is totally worth it and I am sure you can figure out $25 worth of stuff to buy from Amazon.

ariez84

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok guys...after buying 3 SIMs...i finally found one that works.

If the thread starter wants to update his post, only certain sim works. Orange Prepay works. O2 pre pay works...but Virgin Mobile from UK DOES NOT.

Dallan Anderson

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
So just got an Nokia 1520 unlocked for T mobile but the app Access Point is no longer available in the store for my phone. Is there any other way to download that app?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6