04-05-2016 11:55 PM
357 ... 45678 ...
tools
    I was able to make this work using Aljawal (AKA STC) SIM from Saudi Arabia.
    Also, I am using simple mobile, not t-mobile, on unocked AT&T Lumia 920, flashed with Rogers Canada firmware.
    04-09-2014 08:46 AM
    I had the Verizon htc trophy a while ago and that phone shipped with a Vodafone/Verizon labelled sim.
    I cut that sim down to micro size, put it in my unlocked at&t 920 with rogers rom and the internet sharing workaround worked as it should.
    It also worked worked fine on an unlocked at&t lumia 1020.

This leads me to believe that any of the Vodafone/Verizon sim cards that Verizon used to ship with international capable phones before they had LTE will work.
    If anyone else is successful with these Verizon sim cards let us know, those may be easier to come across in the US than foreign sims.

Let me clarify that a plain old Verizon sim WILL NOT WORK! it must be an international gsm sim that Verizon used for international phones before they needed sim cards for their own network.
    04-09-2014 05:40 PM
    Just wanted to tell you i have been using lumia 920 for year and half never was able to use MMS or Internet (NOT TETHERING) for all this time. Recently I installed access point and now everything is working perfectly fine except internet tethering, now your steps asking me to uninstall access point (KEEP IN MIND I HAVE THAT CELLULAR APN SETTINGS FOR OVER YEAR AND NEVER WORKED FOR ME) i just don't wanna risk it because if it doesn't work i need access point back and its NOT available on store anymore and they took it out with black update!!! so my question is if its worth it or can you get access point back once uninstalled??
    04-10-2014 10:26 AM
    Just wanted to tell you i have been using lumia 920 for year and half never was able to use MMS or Internet (NOT TETHERING) for all this time. Recently I installed access point and now everything is working perfectly fine except internet tethering, now your steps asking me to uninstall access point (KEEP IN MIND I HAVE THAT CELLULAR APN SETTINGS FOR OVER YEAR AND NEVER WORKED FOR ME) i just don't wanna risk it because if it doesn't work i need access point back and its NOT available on store anymore and they took it out with black update!!! so my question is if its worth it or can you get access point back once uninstalled??
    SysApp Pusher | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    this app will let you push access point to your phone.
    Access point is available in the store it just can't be found by searching.

Also, this workaround will only work if your phone's firmware let's you change APN settings in the cellular settings menu.
    04-10-2014 10:50 AM
    Thanks for the help here. For my Rogers Lumia 1020 unlocked, I used a PAK uFONE sim and was able to do everything as instructed. My MMS and Internet Sharing is working on T-Mobile now.

Let's hope I don't have to install access point again but I know I can always get it via sysapp.
    trooters likes this.
    04-11-2014 01:32 PM
    Wow this worked on my 1020! I joined the forum just to say thank you!

OP, please add MTS (Ukraine) SIM card to the list of known working SIM cards for this procedure.

I got a 1020 recently and SIM unlocked it. Everything (internet, text, SMS) worked fine after just putting my T-Mobile SIM card. Except internet sharing. I called T-Mobile to add internet sharing to my account, and checked on my T-Mobile branded 8x that internet sharing indeed works before trying this. But internet sharing still didn't work. Then I found this thread.

At first I tried with the few SIM cards that I had without success. I ordered Orange micro SIM but a coworker kindly lend me his MTS SIM from Ukraine, and the steps worked without fail!

Getting 19 Mbps down, 12 Mbps up through LTE in Seattle, WA right now!
    trooters likes this.
    04-12-2014 02:18 AM
    I updated my ATT (unlocked) Lumia 1020 to Windows 8.1 Developer Preview for use on T-Mobile USA.

This procedure no longer works to enable internet sharing. MMS works ok though. I'm using the same Orange UK sim card that allowed it to work previously on WP8.
    Last edited by koopiskeva; 04-16-2014 at 10:51 PM. Reason: clarification
    04-16-2014 08:15 PM
    That makes no sense.
    04-16-2014 08:27 PM
    This process is working on the Rogers 920 on T-Mobile USA after installing 8.1
    04-16-2014 09:45 PM
    I updated my ATT (unlocked) Lumia 1020 to Windows 8.1 Developer Preview for use on T-Mobile USA.

This procedure no longer works to enable internet sharing. MMS works ok though. I'm using the same Orange UK sim card that allowed it to work previously on WP8.
    Same here. ATT unlocked 920, updated to 8.1, MMS works but internet sharing doesn't. "there's no cellular data connection to share right now"
    04-17-2014 06:51 AM
    Same here. ATT unlocked 920, updated to 8.1, MMS works but internet sharing doesn't. "there's no cellular data connection to share right now"
    I had the same issue after factory reset without access point installed . To rectify it i had to install access point and then repeat the steps as mentioned by the OP and now it works. Tested it on my tablet and i get about 20 down 8 up.
    04-17-2014 07:09 AM
    now THAT doesn't surprise me.

Wish people would be thorough before posting BS.
    04-17-2014 07:13 AM
    I had the same issue after factory reset without access point installed . To rectify it i had to install access point and then repeat the steps as mentioned by the OP and now it works. Tested it on my tablet and i get about 20 down 8 up.
    On the 1020 (with WP8.1), I followed the steps exactly from the beginning as I had previously with WP8. Once I reach step 3 though, I notice that the T-Mobile US APN info is already in the cellular+sim settings. It seems that despite having access point try to overwrite the APN, once the T-mobile sim card is placed back in, all that info is re-populated.

Anybody else with an unlocked ATT 1020 that can confirm? I have not done a factory reset yet, that may be what I will try next.
    04-17-2014 08:45 AM
    can you get access point back once uninstalled??
    Here is a direct link in case you still need it. I reset my 920 yesterday and just repeated this procedure, still works fine for me.

Access Point .. access point | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    04-17-2014 08:21 PM
    Using an AIO sim worked just fine for me on my Nokia 1520. I followed the instructions on the first page.

Foreign sim: Three Ireland sim
    Local sim: AIO (trimmed down from full size)
    APN settings: Official AIO APN settings from (https://www.aiowireless.com/support/...n-Android.html)

Internet sharing is up, working, and tested. Thanks OP!
    04-18-2014 01:36 PM
    Yes, same message here: "Connection not shared. Internet sharing isn't currently available".

Rogers Lumia 920, 8.1. MMS working but no Internet Sharing. Tried an AT&T USA SIM (cut down) which may be the problem. Will try an old Swiss Card I had lying around next.

At least I don't get the blasted upsell message anymore!

========================NM, fixed.

Vodaphone PayGo settings.
    Cut down standard SIM with a cutter and no problems.
    Think I got the SIM off Amazon for $4.99 shipped.

Thank you, OP!
    Last edited by KongsPhone; 05-07-2014 at 08:34 AM. Reason: FIXED
    04-19-2014 12:04 PM
    Unlocked AT&T 920 with DevPreview of 8.1 works with the vodafone sim (Amazon link to it somewhere in this thread.)

I had previously tried it (pre -8.1) with Telus and it didn't work.
    KongsPhone likes this.
    04-19-2014 02:58 PM
    So can anyone with 1020 please confirm that starting with a working setup on 8.0, updating to dev preview of 8.1 will not cause an issue with internet sharing? I finally got it working and would rather not mess it up since I really need internet sharing and I would not be able to go back to 8.0.
    KongsPhone likes this.
    04-20-2014 02:46 AM
    I have an international version of the 920 on T-Mobile, and I can confirm that I can still tether after the 8.1 update! :D
    04-20-2014 02:52 AM
    International version is not the problem, it is crap versions like ATT
    04-20-2014 08:33 AM
    With Developer Preview 8.1, Telus 1020, and no Access Point installed, I could only ever get 4G internet sharing to work.

I just re-installed Access Point(deleted it a while ago) to try these steps. I googled(or bing if you prefer) access point and followed the link. I tried to push install, but it didn't work so Windowsphone sent me a link where I successfully installed Access Point.

Reinstalling access point screwed up my internet sharing!

But before it did, I just tried Internet Sharing right after the Access Point reinstall. Voila! LTE internet sharing worked....ONCE!

Then I got the Message Add Internet Sharing.

Uninstalled Access Point using by changing the year to 2113. However, now Internet sharing is not working at all. @#$@#$

Doing a reset to see if that will fix the problem.
    04-20-2014 03:06 PM
    Reset the phone to my auto backup that was from 2 days ago. I didn't have Access Point installed in that backup(and will never again install that app). Now internet sharing works with 4g.

Tried turning it on and off several times. Shut down and started up again. sending this mail through t-mobile. Still works. I did have to re-enter my apn and my mms settings.

If I switch from 4g to LTE and reconnect, I can sometimes get LTE speeds. Got 27.76 Mbps from speedtest.net(website). Not going to mess with it anymore. It seems like once you have internet sharing connection through 4g and switch to LTE, you might be able to get an LTE connection.

I don't know that my little experiment will help anyone though(although I'd be wary of Access Point). Telus 1020, WP 8.1 Preview, T-Mobile.
    04-20-2014 04:09 PM
    I have an unlocked AT&T 1020 that I use on T-Mobile. Everything is working perfectly now so I don't want to mess up my config by going to 8.1 dev preview. Though I really want 8.1 on my phone. Decisions, decisions...
    04-21-2014 02:00 AM
    8.1 is not all its cracked up to be. I actually hate most of the changes. I'd wait if I were you.
    04-21-2014 07:54 AM
    8.1 is not all its cracked up to be. I actually hate most of the changes. I'd wait if I were you.
    I am actually very impressed with 8.1. Have it on my HTC 8x. I do need the notification center and Cortana will be a nice addition.
    04-22-2014 12:54 AM
357 ... 45678 ...