Internet Sharing + MMS now working on AT&T 920 w/ USA T-Mobile SIM

engreeks1

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much!!!! I can confirm this works for an unlocked ATT Lumia 1020 on the t-mobile network using t-mobile's bargain basement $30/month prepaid plan. I called t-mobile and they said I did NOT have tethering, but once I did this, it worked! Trooters you are amazing!!

phantomlightgames

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
OMG I can confirm this works on the Lumia 1520 ATT Model.

I am now able to send MMS and turn on Internet Sharing.

Great find man this is awesome!

Thank you so much.. Guys for a tip I used a Chinese sim it was the regular sized fat sim card. I then cut it down to a micro sim. And it worked fine.

maxmin

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I had hoped this would work to tether using a 3rd party provider on ATT. I am currently using Good2Go mobile.

I went through all the steps. I was able to find an old Movistar sim from a trip I took to Argentina.

The message I am getting when I try to tether is different now. Before I got Contact ATT to activate. Now I get "There is no cellular data connection to share..." I have triple checked all my APN and MMS settings for Good2Go. I am able to use internet and send picture messages on the cellular network.

I can't think of anything else to try.....

maxmin

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I worked on this some more. I could get Internet Sharing to work but only temporarily. I followed the steps and I couldn't connect. I reinstalled the Access Point App and then I could connect. The problem is when rebooted the phone I could no longer connect. The same procedure applied to both ATT and tmobile. I couldn't connect without Access Point installed. But on reboot Access Point will read the sim card and loose the foreign settings.

maxmin

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I have tried this any way I can. I even transferred my service to Tmobile to follow the instructions exactly. This will NOT work with the 820. I keep getting the message "There's no data connection to share right now...." I get this even though I am able to connect to the internet and send pictures on texts. The only way I can get this to work is to follow the steps and then reinstall the Access Point app. This will work until I reboot and then Access Point will reset the settings from the Tmobile card and not work again.

John Mark Dyer

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
This worked for me. I just got it to work today, so I don't know that it will keep working, but I hope so.
I have an unlocked AT&T 1520 running on T-Mobile and I ordered a Telus regular sized SIM on eBay and just cut it down.
For whatever reason, Access Point didn't install correctly the first time. It appeared to, but when I went to launche it from the settings menu, it would crash and bring me back to settings (and never launch). I followed the above steps to uninstall it, then tried installing it exactly as before (the definition of insanity) and it actually worked for some reason. :) So if you run into this problem, just try it again.

trooters

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I finally received my SIM, and my 920 back from Nokia service (broken USB), and have been trying to apply the fix. So far, I get the same result as rory753 quoted above (except I haven't tried tethering on 4G only), "there's no cellular data connection to share right now. Check your cellular setting and signal, and try again."

I followed the instructions to a tee, and it all seemed to go smoothly. This is the foreign SIM I used:

Virgin Mobile Canada Micro Sim Card LTE | eBay

edit: I just tried the APN settings that were in the T-Mobile Lumia 810 I picked as a spare, and no dice. Those APN settings are epc.tmobile.com

Sorry to hear it didn't work riffraffy. I'm curious whether it is the phone or the SIM card from that MO. Perhaps if I can get my hands on a similar SIM card and see if I can produce the same error.

trooters

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
anyword on getting this to work for the Build Conference phones on T-Mobile USA?

I've seen people who have the Build Conference phones report successful results using the keyboard-install trick. If you search the forums you may find those threads (I don't have them handy)

trooters

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I have tried this any way I can. I even transferred my service to Tmobile to follow the instructions exactly. This will NOT work with the 820. I keep getting the message "There's no data connection to share right now...." I get this even though I am able to connect to the internet and send pictures on texts. The only way I can get this to work is to follow the steps and then reinstall the Access Point app. This will work until I reboot and then Access Point will reset the settings from the Tmobile card and not work again.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm curious to see whether these errors of "There's no data connection to share right now..." is related to the MO SIM card. If you are able to try with a different foreign MO SIM card, perhaps you can help narrow things down. Granted, not all of us have a library of foreign SIM cards so this may be a moot suggestion.

trooters

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Ha-ha! Man you are genius! It works with 1020. How on Earth did you figure it?! By thinking? or by trying?

I'm glad to hear it worked for you. It was weeks of trial and error, my fellow WP friend.

The first hint of progress was when I realized that Access Point was changing the error message each time I put a different SIM in. Then one day I travelled internationally and got Internet Sharing to work, and thought to work backwards from there. The fact that T-Mobile phones ship with Access Point installed as part of the image was also frustrating since that just makes the whole sequence seem a whole lot weirder.

wustlmike19

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have an update!

I was able to follow steps two and three and get the internet sharing to work with T-mobile.

Since I did not have a foreign SIM,I replaced step one with the following:
I downloaded the Spanish (spain) Keyboard
then verified that the internet sharing was on
Turned the phone off and removed the sim.

Proceeded to step two and three.
Got it working

Wildflash

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I have an update!

I was able to follow steps two and three and get the internet sharing to work with T-mobile.

Since I did not have a foreign SIM,I replaced step one with the following:
I downloaded the Spanish (spain) Keyboard
then verified that the internet sharing was on
Turned the phone off and removed the sim.

Proceeded to step two and three.
Got it working

wustlmike19 thanks for the tips but I tried your instructions and I have a few questions:

1) when you state that you turn on internet sharing and turn the phone off in your new step 1, you are turning it off just before it gives some sort of error message correct?
2) Why is step 2 needed if you don't need Access Points as you do in the original step 1

Much Appreciated!

wustlmike19

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey,

1) When I say I turned on the internet sharing, I turned it on and waited to see that it was working, it was. Otherwise, it means that access point didn't change the setting as described by OP.
2) I already had access point, and I think it is necessary to change that setting as the OP said.

Wildflash

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for confirming. My guess is that you were using a phone for which the "add a keyboard" trick works. It worked on two Nokia 521's (Tmobile no contract) for me but not on a Nokia 810 (Tmobile), 928 (Verizon), or 925 (Tmobile) so far. Which phone did you get it to work on?

thejoyofsobe

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
this worked for me to get my ATT 920 to allow internet sharing with Straight Talk's ATT service.

thanks again for this post. this has been tremendously helpful.

if anyone was curious i used an MTNL microSIM that my coworker brought back from India.

Wildflash

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I tried the following which did not work (FYI):
Nokia 928 Verizon + SIM (Tmobile, Tmobile old 3G, ATT, Verizon 4G microSIM LTE, Sprint microsim LTE, H2O, Simple, PTEL, and Lycamobile USA) and none of them makes internet sharing function using the procedure in this post. This further backs that a foriegn SIM is needed. Jury is out on the 928 with a Foriegn SIM. I ordered a Telcel America SIM from Ebay but I am not sure if it is programmed more like a Tmobile MVNO or more like a Mexican SIM. I will report back. Does anyone have experience with Telcel America SIMs working? I was able to acquire all these SIMs from phone repair shops.

I found the MVNO SIMS configured the internet tethering message like the parent company (ie. PTEL gives TMobile's add service for $15, while H2O or SIMPLE (??) gave the ATT not supported message. The LYCAmobile SIM did not give the TMOBILE add service message like PTEL did. Instead it just stated "Not supported" or so. If a US MVNO actually enables internet sharing, that SIM might work even if the parent carrier doesn't.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel