Internet Sharing + MMS now working on AT&T 920 w/ USA T-Mobile SIM

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm this works with Straight Talk using a foreign O2 Pay and Go Sim. it should be noted that internet sharing is against ST TOS so use at own risk. this only works with the tfdata apn. if you still have an old ST sim using ATT.mvno apn it will not work, ATT has internet sharing unprovisioned from that APN.

My main impetus for doing this was to send a big FU to ATT for inserting that blocking shim into Internet Sharing, but also when I go overseas next year I want to use this with a foreign sim and have sharing for my Surface without having to grovel for WiFi wherever.

Last edited:

Wildflash

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Anyone been successful using this procedure on a Tmobile branded WP8?
Anyone been successful using this procedure on a Verizon 928 on Tmobile?

Last edited:

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Sleeve22, did you get the SMS working yet? if so, how? thx

The only way I can get SMS to consistently work is by keeping the fastest data connection at 2G. So far I have had no such luck at higher speeds with any consistency. I bought a 920 hoping that in the future someone would find a work around. But, I was able to get internet sharing to work using the procedure spelled out above on the 928.

ffeliciano

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
This hack worked on my ATT-branded Lumia 920. Please note though that for some reason, when you connect to the Lumia 920 hotspot, it is not requiring a password. I corrected it by changing the hotspot password.

Thank you for this hack!

Wildflash

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I tested out the procedure and it did indeed work on a Verizon 928 using a Tmobile prepaid unlimited SIM after using a Telus Canada unactivated SIM. Much appreciated!

Update! The MMS picture sent so I thought it was fully functional but actually, Sleeve22 is correct that SMS does not work unless the 928 is put in 2G mode.

Last edited:

Wildflash

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
The only way I can get SMS to consistently work is by keeping the fastest data connection at 2G. So far I have had no such luck at higher speeds with any consistency. I bought a 920 hoping that in the future someone would find a work around. But, I was able to get internet sharing to work using the procedure spelled out above on the 928.

Actually thought I got the 928 to work because I could send MMS, but in fact you are correct SMS does not work after using this procedure unless I set the phone to 2G. I even tried setting the Cellular APN settings to that for the TMOBILE 2G network and that did not work. Interesting that MMS works but not SMS. Its covered in this thread http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-928/229966-2.htm

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I know this MIGHT not work but, seeing how you enabled Internet sharing with a 3rd party SIM could this process work on a 928 ON Verizon ? Or the reconnection to Verizon just kill/overwite the connection settings?

3rd party SIM>Access point> get internet sharing working> Remove SIM>Remove Access point> Put in Verizon 4G SIM...

I got Unlimited data...I should be able to use it how I want...This could be cool if the settings would stick...

Wildflash

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I know this MIGHT not work but, seeing how you enabled Internet sharing with a 3rd party SIM could this process work on a 928 ON Verizon ? Or the reconnection to Verizon just kill/overwite the connection settings?

3rd party SIM>Access point> get internet sharing working> Remove SIM>Remove Access point> Put in Verizon 4G SIM...

I got Unlimited data...I should be able to use it how I want...This could be cool if the settings would stick...
Thanks for the suggestions.
I tried the following >
3rd party SIM>Access point> get internet sharing working> Remove SIM>Remove Access point> Put in My Tmobile SIM > Put in Verizon unactivated 4G SIM and waited for it to go through the "CONNECTING TO THE NETWORK we are setting up your phone .... come back in a minute or two" it leads to "Activation Failed" to which I hit close. Then I tried three discarded Verizon 4G SIMs cycling the phone each time. Then put my Tmobile SIM in. Internet sharing worked still but outgoing SMS still did not.

So I reinstalled access point and the internet sharing stopped working and the SMS still does not work. Urrrrggggg!

RogerLuech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I haven't read this entire thread so I apologize if someone already post this suggestion.

If you don't have access to a foreign SIM, here is another work-around to get tethering working for AT&T 920 on T-MO:

Go to SETTINGS > CELLULAR and change the Internet APN to epc.tmobile.com. (This forces your phone to 4G only).
Next, set Internet Sharing to ON.
Finally, change the Internet APN back to fast.t-mobile.com. This will move your phone back to LTE and internet sharing continues to work on LTE.

Unfortunately, this is not a permanent fix, but it works and only takes a minute to set up.

Wildflash

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I haven't read this entire thread so I apologize if someone already post this suggestion.

If you don't have access to a foreign SIM, here is another work-around to get tethering working for AT&T 920 on T-MO:

Go to SETTINGS > CELLULAR and change the Internet APN to epc.tmobile.com. (This forces your phone to 4G only).
Next, set Internet Sharing to ON.
Finally, change the Internet APN back to fast.t-mobile.com. This will move your phone back to LTE and internet sharing continues to work on LTE.

Unfortunately, this is not a permanent fix, but it works and only takes a minute to set up.

Do you have access point installed too? Thx

William Velez1

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
My Nokia 1520 is free at last, Thank the Mobile gods, she is Free at last. The last thing I needed to get working was my internet sharing on T-mobile. I used a Telus Canada unactivated Nano SIM followed the steps and BAM! Internet Sharing is working. I be a happy camper.

OBTW - I have a Telus Canada unactivated SIM - or a O2 Germany unactivated SIM on its way - for sale. PM me if interested.

Wildflash

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
My Nokia 1520 is free at last, Thank the Mobile gods, she is Free at last. The last thing I needed to get working was my internet sharing on T-mobile. I used a Telus Canada unactivated Nano SIM followed the steps and BAM! Internet Sharing is working. I be a happy camper.

OBTW - I have a Telus Canada unactivated SIM - or a O2 Germany unactivated SIM on its way - for sale. PM me if interested.

When you try the internet sharing, do your computers get forced to go to a tmobile internet site effectively making the internet sharing useless? Thx

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa