Internet Sharing + MMS now working on AT&T 920 w/ USA T-Mobile SIM

Maceart

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Worked with prepaid UK EE SIM card off Ebay.

Tested on both LTE and 4G connections and both worked for Internet Sharing on a Rogers Lumia 920 with Denim.

Not sure why on my laptop connected to the tethered connection teamviewer/AIM lite doesn't work...

PYY

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
After forced update to Denim, the foreign SIM hack no longer works :(. Access Point app is even more crappy and internet/mms doesn't work at all without it, even with correctly entered in APN/MMs settings on the SIM.

SB Jon

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
Hello all. I followed the instructions at the start of this forum not realizing that using Straight Talk I would have big problems. I did manage to reinstall Access Point, but it doesn't open. It seems like sophisticated users on this thread, so if anyone has advice on how to successfully reinstall Access Point it would be much appreciated. I have no data or MMS now over cellular.

thanks.

PYY

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I actually have Matteni's method printed and folded with the foreign SIM. I keep it in a pocket to bring everywhere with me incase the phone decides to reboot.

- Edit
Am 1diot. Missed one hyphen in APN settings. All is well.

Last edited:

PYY

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Hello. Me again. Occasionally, my phone says that there is "No SIM" card in the device even though there is. Usually I can just pop out the tray and then close it back to fix the problem. Sometimes I have to restart/soft reboot it to fix it. I hate having to do it this way because I have to do the foreign SIM hack all over again.

My problem is that I have recently restarted my phone due to the "No SIM" error and Access Point is unavailable for download. The webpage says that it is only for Windows10. Is there a backup Access Point hosted elsewhere?

- Edit
I found a separate link from WindowsCentral page and it seemed to work.

Michael Crehan

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I bought a uk o2 sim, tried your instructions but it still prompts me when enabling internet sharing to download a tmobile app to enable sharing. it is enabled on the tmobile sim because when I put it in an unlocked iPhone 4 it works fine. just not on my unlocked 920. any ideas?

thanks

coolibop

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Just curious.....how is it that my phone (unlocked ATT-branded Lumia 1020) works fine with Rogers SIM (I still have an active data plan) using internet sharing, but not T-Mobile? That is, I can put in my Rogers SIM, turn on internet sharing with no problem; but when I put in T-Mobile SIM, it doesn't work? Couldn't T-Mobile just do what Rogers did to get it working?

Last edited:

forsalead

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
Is this still the only recommended way? I got a 920 and recently moved to T-Mobile.

Is this still relevant for Win10 or does Win10 knows how to address this issue better? I haven't upgraded yet but wondering if it worth the trouble if Win10 will fix this issue.

If not ... Guess I should take the opportunity which I have a visitor with a foreign SIM.

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Is this still the only recommended way? I got a 920 and recently moved to T-Mobile.

Is this still relevant for Win10 or does Win10 knows how to address this issue better? I haven't upgraded yet but wondering if it worth the trouble if Win10 will fix this issue.

If not ... Guess I should take the opportunity which I have a visitor with a foreign SIM.

For W10, this is not required, it just works (using my w10 920)

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Update: So I upgraded my 1020 to w10 build 10572 from wp8.1 and internet sharing still doesn't work. I'm assuming my 920s internet sharing works because I did a factory reset after updating that to w10.

Update 2: So here's what I did. Before this, I uninstalled access point (that came with wp8.1) thinking that it'll fix internet sharing. It didn't. So I turned off the phone, used a foreign sim, turned on my phone. My w10 1020 didn't recognized it so i fiddled with it like i tried turning on internet sharing and scanned for networks and somehow it detected ATT, TMO, and VZW so i selected TMO, but nothing happened. With my phone turned on, I swapped it with my tmobile sim, and the phone rebooted itself. Now internet sharing works!

Last edited:

blurngle

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Another way to do this that works for me is:

i) Insert foreign SIM. Reboot phone
ii) Turn on Internet Sharing
iii) With Internet Sharing still on and running, eject the foreign SIM and insert the T-Mobile SIM

No messing around with dates or uninstalling stuff.

Internet Sharing will continue to be available until the phone is rebooted. You can Internet Sharing on and off fine and it remembers the setting. If the phone reboots you're back to square one though, so keep your foreign SIM and a sim tool handy if you go with this option.

I'm not sure if you need any credit on your foreign SIM to get this working. I am fortunate to have a Three UK contract SIM, so turning on data roaming and Internet Sharing for the purposes of executing this trick is free for me. YMMV.

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Just curious.....how is it that my phone (unlocked ATT-branded Lumia 1020) works fine with Rogers SIM (I still have an active data plan) using internet sharing, but not T-Mobile? That is, I can put in my Rogers SIM, turn on internet sharing with no problem; but when I put in T-Mobile SIM, it doesn't work? Couldn't T-Mobile just do what Rogers did to get it working?
For T-Mo try setting fastest speed to 3g and then it should work fine. I remember reading about T-Mo not being happy with sharing LTE. I have an unlocked pentaband CV 920 and in order to turn on internet sharing I have to switch to 3g and always works trouble free.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077