Internet Sharing + MMS now working on AT&T 920 w/ USA T-Mobile SIM

Mark Johnson1

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I found that installing the latest version of Window 10 Mobile (Fast track Windows Insider), that I was able to get the Mobile Hotspot to function. I tried every trick to get my AT&T Unlocked Lumia 920 Internet Sharing to work on T-Mobile with Windows Phone 8.1, but nothing worked. Make sure that "access point" is not installed before installing Windows 10 Mobile, it will cause problems. After Windows 10 is installed, you will have to set the APN and MMS settings in Network->cellular + SIM.

APN: fast.t-mobile.com
MMSC Server: mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc

Test that it works by sending a picture text message to yourself, this is a good indicator that the Mobile Hotspot (Internet Sharing, Tethering) will work. Then try enabling the Mobile Hotspot, hopefully it works.

Clark Welden

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
I tried this on my unlocked ATT lumen 920 on T-Mobile running 586.11 but still get the message "current data plan doesn't allow, etc"

I can hotspot my T-Mobile lumia 925 fine. I wonder what the difference is.

coolibop

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
For T-Mo try setting fastest speed to 3g and then it should work fine. I remember reading about T-Mo not being happy with sharing LTE. I have an unlocked pentaband CV 920 and in order to turn on internet sharing I have to switch to 3g and always works trouble free.

Nope, that didn't work.

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Nope, that didn't work.
Sorry to hear. I used to have an AT&T L920 and the foreign sim trick worked like a charm even through WP8.1. That phone died and I have since been using a penta-band MX-CV L920 and internet sharing now works like a charm, I just have to turn down fasted data speed to 3G and it works without any hiccups. If I leave it set to max speed LTE then I still get the error message.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I see this thread is still living. I think two weeks ago I used this trick after breaking my Internet Sharing (IS) by installing Access Point and/or Network+ apps (I wanted to fix group messaging). I have 928 from Verizon and I don't have to switch to 3G for IS, but my MMS doesn't work (it never did) and for txt msg I need switch to 2G..

Just sharing my experience, maybe somebody finds this useful. And btw I'm running 8.1 w/ latest update

coolibop

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone tried to debrand the AT&T Lumia 1020 with any success to get around this problem? I noticed a post on XDA developers forum that seemed to be able to do this...

coolibop

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
I found that installing the latest version of Window 10 Mobile (Fast track Windows Insider), that I was able to get the Mobile Hotspot to function. I tried every trick to get my AT&T Unlocked Lumia 920 Internet Sharing to work on T-Mobile with Windows Phone 8.1, but nothing worked. Make sure that "access point" is not installed before installing Windows 10 Mobile, it will cause problems. After Windows 10 is installed, you will have to set the APN and MMS settings in Network->cellular + SIM.

APN: fast.t-mobile.com
MMSC Server: mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc

Test that it works by sending a picture text message to yourself, this is a good indicator that the Mobile Hotspot (Internet Sharing, Tethering) will work. Then try enabling the Mobile Hotspot, hopefully it works.

Interesting...I just upgraded my Lumia 1020 to W10 10586.11 (Slow ring) and I still have problems :(. I suspect the foreign SIM workaround would work but have not tried it yet (nor on 8.1). I do have Access Point installed so I will try, I suppose I may have to revert back to 8.1, uninstall AP, then upgrade back to W10.

Update: So in fooling around with my phone; I somehow got mobile hotspot working on T-Mobile on my ATT Lumia 1020 on W10 10586.11 (slow ring)! Not quite sure what happened...Here is what I did incase those with more technical knowledge may diagnose/figure it out:

Popped out T-Mobile SIM and inserted an old Rogers (Canada) SIM that is no longer active (phone automatically rebooted)
Added T-Mobile internet APN information manually (even though this was Rogers SIM)
Popped out Rogers SIM and inserted T-Mobile sim (phone automatically rebooted)
Sent myself an MMS to test and received okay
Shortly after, got an error message from Access Point indicating something was wrong and may need a reboot; I just ignored this
Noticed the T-Mobile Internet APN wasn't there after this error message (and data would not work)
Manually added T-Mobile internet APN (I did not select 'use this APN instead of one provided by my network operator')
Turned on internet sharing and it works! (toggling on/off also works without error)

Last edited:

yipsan

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
So, did you roll back to 8.1, delete access point and then update to w10 insider before getting hotspot working? I am on 10586.29, but cannot get hotspot to work on an att mvno sim. It works on 8.1 on developer preview.

coolibop

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Nope. I had AP installed on 8.1, and couldn't get it working. I upgraded to win10 (on 10586.11 then) and performed the above.

Every time my phone resets or is updated, I get the AP error message; but hotspot continues to work fine. Since I already installed the latest update and haven't swapped sim cards (as above), I wonder if its just the SIM settings. Have you tried to apply internet APN (without checking the use this APN for LTE... box; checking apply profile box) and MMS profile?

yipsan

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
I couldnt get it to work, and w10 was going through my battery a bit too quick and so I have gone back to 8.1 dp, which I can still have sharing and mms. Just read of de branding the att 1020 and wondering if I should give it a try.

sleeps

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
You are a lifesaver!!! thank you so much! confirmed working on HTC 8X at&t... i had to use the windows restore to flash back to the 8.0 windows phone firmware version. going back up to 8.1 to see if settings sticks! hopefully it does...

rogerfleenor

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
thai ais sim card did not work. i think i may have a prepaid sim card which may have caused the issue. i will try again with a different foreign sim.
attempted on att lumia 1020 running 8.1

sammykatstache

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
Didn't work for my kogan.com unlocked Nokia 1020. I used an Australian Optus SIM. Although it did change the message, instead of the TMobile message I now get the "Isn't currently allowed" message, so I guess that is progress :/

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss