Getting started with the 1520

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Call me a paranoid perfectionist, but I haven't set my 1520 up because I'm afraid of messing something up. As you guys set up your accounts and phones, was there anything in particular that you wished you did differently or you did well and have advice on?

Reflekt0r

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Well i set mine up in the ATT store and when it first turned on, it didnt load a home screen, just a list of apps. I found out after i set up everything i liked and downloaded a bunch of apps that it needed to be turned off and back on again since later that day i turned it off and back on and had to re-set up everything, this time it loaded a default home page, and asked to log me into my Microsoft account for back up... i was sort of annoyed

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Load a Windows live ID first if you have one. If you do not, then develop one first. I would set up a Live account on Outlook through your computer first, if you do not have one.I feel it is better to start getting your contacts in first, and then everything else after that is just is preference.

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Don't be afraid to do a factory reset.
Start from the beginning, try it out. See what it is all about. Play for a while. Change things. See what happens.
once you feel confident, factory reset and start over.
But really, there is nothing you cannot access again through the settings menu. Become familiar with it because it is the most comprehensive menu on the device.
Have fun!

g808

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Don't think you'll mess anything up. Definitely sign in with a Windows Live userid. Install the apps you want, arrange the live tiles and walk through your settings menu to see things are set to your liking as best as possible.

I owned a WP before, so I just restored from my last phone.

Have fun!

EuroKnuter

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Call me a paranoid perfectionist, but I haven't set my 1520 up because I'm afraid of messing something up. As you guys set up your accounts and phones, was there anything in particular that you wished you did differently or you did well and have advice on?

All of the answers above are excellent. The windows live ID is the key - it's about the only thing you can mess up your first time out. I only say this from a related experience, not because it's particularly difficult or has it been a problem with my 3 previous windows phones. After setting my father up with his id and phone, he was later sold a computer with windows 8 and the store rep created a new id for him *face palm* - so I had to fix that for syncing etc.

Other than that, easy peasy - and don't be afraid to reset (but I have NEVER had to do that with any of my windows phones ever, not once, they have been that solid for me!).

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Thanks everyone! I already had a Microsoft account for XBOX, but I changed my primary alias to an @outlook one because I want to move eventually to outlook from gmail. It just sucks the labels/folders don't carry over.

Anyway, I've had trouble with syncing stuff with the desktop app/media player, I can't believe they didn't just rename the Zune desktop client - but it seems to be working...as well as it's going to. I just don't understand how they expect casual folks that don't go to sites like these to sync their stuff....

If needed I'll do a factory reset - you made me feel better about that option, and now that texts are backed up I don't have to worry about losing anything!

InfiniteRefrain

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone! I already had a Microsoft account for XBOX, but I changed my primary alias to an @outlook one because I want to move eventually to outlook from gmail. It just sucks the labels/folders don't carry over.

Anyway, I've had trouble with syncing stuff with the desktop app/media player, I can't believe they didn't just rename the Zune desktop client - but it seems to be working...as well as it's going to. I just don't understand how they expect casual folks that don't go to sites like these to sync their stuff....

If needed I'll do a factory reset - you made me feel better about that option, and now that texts are backed up I don't have to worry about losing anything!

What version of Windows are you using? If 8/8.1 there is a Windows Phone App in the store where you can manage the data on your phone. Its easier to use versus the desktop version; at least for me.

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
I have a 1520, so whatever Black is. I mostly do music and podcasts, not so much videos or pictures, so it's unfortunate that the desktop app recognizes my playlists but on the phone they have 0 songs, and then Windows Media Player seems to work fine for music but doesn't do podcasts. And Zune did all of this......

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo