Lumia 820 battery tip

Gavincol78

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
over the last couple of days I have noticed with both my L820 and my wife's L820 the battery estimation/battery drain went from being an average of 1day 15hours to being 12-16hours and that was with NO obvious background activity (all open tasks closed) using GDR3. Then when my battery level was stating 65% with only 4 hours left (nothing running in the background) I just rebooted my phone and that 65% / 4hours jumped to 64% 1day 2hours.

This also happened again today and the same result so I am wondering if there is a bug with Amber that even though all apps are closed there is something that doesn't close fully which causes a battery drain which I would hope will be sorted with Lumia Black.

So for now when I get to approx 6-10 hours from removing the charger and there is a weird battery drain I will be rebooting my phone.

On another note I had a laugh just now all of a sudden my L820 stated 5days 6hours
wp_ss_20131123_0001.png

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
GDR3 isn't "AMBER" it a MS software and it was available with the Preview for Developers app, AMBER was loaded with GDR2
So I'm confused with your premise, anyway... An 820 is on AT&T right ? T Mobile sent it OTA starting Aug 15, when did AT&T
send it OTA and how long have you had it on your phones ? or do you both have the Preview GDR3 on your phones and if so
did you notice this before GDR3 or when you first downloaded Amber/GRD2 or soon after ?

Ashish Saraf1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
over the last couple of days I have noticed with both my L820 and my wife's L820 the battery estimation/battery drain went from being an average of 1day 15hours to being 12-16hours and that was with NO obvious background activity (all open tasks closed) using GDR3. Then when my battery level was stating 65% with only 4 hours left (nothing running in the background) I just rebooted my phone and that 65% / 4hours jumped to 64% 1day 2hours.

This also happened again today and the same result so I am wondering if there is a bug with Amber that even though all apps are closed there is something that doesn't close fully which causes a battery drain which I would hope will be sorted with Lumia Black.

So for now when I get to approx 6-10 hours from removing the charger and there is a weird battery drain I will be rebooting my phone.

On another note I had a laugh just now all of a sudden my L820 stated 5days 6hours
View attachment 50436

Battery level changing is a common phenomenon in mobiles after restarting them. I get 2 days with m 3 months old 820..all background task are off...minimum brightness and i use WiFi only when needed.

Do remember to charge your battery only when its near 10% and let it charge till 100%..this helps in increasing battery life.

sent from my Nokia Lumia 820

Gavincol78

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
GDR3 isn't "AMBER" it a MS software and it was available with the Preview for Developers app, AMBER was loaded with GDR2
So I'm confused with your premise, anyway... An 820 is on AT&T right ? T Mobile sent it OTA starting Aug 15, when did AT&T
send it OTA and how long have you had it on your phones ? or do you both have the Preview GDR3 on your phones and if so
did you notice this before GDR3 or when you first downloaded Amber/GRD2 or soon after ?

I never said Amber was GDR3, Amber is the Nokia 'bloatware' GDR3 is the basic MS system I already knew this when I opted to push GDR3 onto my L820 via the Preview for Developers method. I never really tried GDR2 as I had only just got the handset and on research I thought it would be better to push GDR3

Gavincol78

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Battery level changing is a common phenomenon in mobiles after restarting them. I get 2 days with m 3 months old 820..all background task are off...minimum brightness and i use WiFi only when needed.

Do remember to charge your battery only when its near 10% and let it charge till 100%..this helps in increasing battery life.

sent from my Nokia Lumia 820

Yep I have always had the thought that when I stick a phone on charge be it 1% or 30% I would never take it off charge (without a very good reason) until it reaches 100% and then I prefer to leave it on charge for a while afterwards

matrixcruiser

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

This is still a common misconception. Modern batteries don't care about how often you recharge them. It's the charging amount in total that does matter. If you want your battery to life longer, use heavy tasks like gaming mostly when connected to a charger.

The estimated time remaining is based on current battery drain and current battery voltage. If you unlock your phone and look at the ETR you will get information about your idle power-drain and battery life. If you want to get accurate data you should process any task you want the battery drain from for 15min.

Crashed background tasks can drain the battery extremely. Sometimes even a restart did not solved my problem. A second one was needed.
If i'm lucky i get 40h out of the battery. Sometimes if something is not right and i don't have the possibility to check my phone often i get 10 hours.
That's a big downside of the battery life. I would be happy if i could really rely on the battery. It sometimes frustrating to listen to music for 20 minutes and seeing my phone lost 30% in this time.

As i can tell after over 1 year of usage:
Heavy battery drain :
- can sometimes be fixed by switching air-plain mode on and off
- can mostly be fixed by restarting the phone
- can often be fixed by starting battery saver
- mostly heats up the phone

This leads to the assumption that the drain can be caused by:
- temporary malfunction of the network module
- invisible background tasks using CPU cycles
- background tasks having problems initiating or connecting to a server

Things i do to get me through the day and even further:
- close apps using GPS when not needed
- close apps supported by ads
- turn on battery-saver if i plan to go out late and phone is under 50% (plus.... you mostly don't need to get mails and stuff if your out at night)

- on vacation i turned off mobile data completely (plus... costs way to much if your in a foreign country)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium