Post here if you are not buying the Nokia Lumia 1520 because it is locked to att.

TravelBro

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I will probably get the iPhone 5S myself... not too excited but at least it will work with tmobile.

Anyone else getting a different phone because you can use the Nokia Lumia 1520 in tmobile or another service provider?

anon(5339110)

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'll wait until Nokia offers something similar on T-Mobile. I'm using my ex-AT&T 920 on TMO, and can't get the internet-sharing to work. While fiddling with it, the TMO gal mumbled something under her breath about "unlocked phones...."

Janak Patel

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I am not and hopefully T-Mobile realizes what they are doing is wrong and gets their $hit together and gets the new Lumia. And I am not going back to $t&T.

anon(5339110)

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I am not and hopefully T-Mobile realizes what they are doing is wrong and gets their $hit together and gets the new Lumia. And I am not going back to $t&T.
One way or another, I think T-Mobile will end up with new Lumia flagship soon. They have done very well with the 521, and I think Nokia will keep that in mind.

That said, the gal at TMO did say they weren't selling near as many of the 925...

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Lately I've had no problem calling up AT&T and having them unlock my phone. I've done it in the past few months with a 920, a 1020, and a 925 before I sold them. I've haven't been denied yet, or charged for the unlock code.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I learned a long time ago to buy unbranded/unlocked phones. I prefer phones unbranded because I hate all the garbage a carrier will load on your phone. I need my phones unlocked since my wife is French, so we go to France a couple of times every year.

When I was a Palm enthusiast, it was never a problem getting an unbranded/unlocked phone. After HP purchased Palm, I moved to Nokia and it was never a problem getting an unbranded/unlocked Symbian OS phone.

Now it's getting more difficult to find unbranded/unlocked phones in the states. I was going to get a Lumia 920 this last Spring, but AT&T still wasn't unlocking them due to their exclusive deal. I was thinking of getting a Nokia 2520 tablet, but it's the same issue, they come locked.

Janak Patel

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
well I hope you are right. Last couple of weeks microsoftstore.com did not have the Lumia 925 for T-Mobile listed so I was excited and scared at the same time. I was excited because I thought T-Mobile is getting the new Lumias and scared because I thought T-Mobile is discontinuing the higher end Lumias, but to my surprise the phone is back online. It is scary to see that everytime I got the T-Mobile store the reps don't have much clue to what the hell the phone can do or what it is about. They have huge displays of samsung and iphone. I hope they get it, it would be the ultimate experience.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I am in no hurry. I will wait till the RM-938 variant is available.
Just getting an unlocked RM-940 is not the answer, no T-Mobile LTE and no Qi charging

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I read an article today on Bing news... Don't remember the source, but it said that the FCC is working towards ending carrier locked phones as early as by the end of the year...

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I read an article today on Bing news... Don't remember the source, but it said that the FCC is working towards ending carrier locked phones as early as by the end of the year...
just checked... Technology and science section, Kansas city star...

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

Are you sure that wasn't about getting carriers permission to unlock your phone? The wireless carriers in the U.S. hate the FCC and that's why they went bonkers over the "net neutrality" issue. If carriers are forced to sell their phones unlocked, they'll start selling phones with only their LTE frequency on them.

Janak Patel

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I am in no hurry. I will wait till the RM-938 variant is available.
Just getting an unlocked RM-940 is not the answer, no T-Mobile LTE and no Qi charging

thats not an issue for me either, its just that there is no word on the 938 and some blogs are reporting (stupid Engadget) that at&t has the 938. I am sure the info on the Nokia Developer site is correct and there will be a 938 but I want it to be a T-Mobile phone not really an unlocked international. I like the WIFI calling feature.

toraji

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I actually purchased the 1520 from Microsoft after chatting with a Microsoft rep, she told me it would be possible to buy the phone without contract and simply unlock it, the website I found to unlock it just send me the message that they can't unlock it yet, does anybody has a suggestion?

thanks in advance
t

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Some people feel like that OP and I think I can agree that if you buy them at full price, they should come unlocked. I used to think if you could buy them directly from a Microsoft store, they would be unbranded and unlocked but that isn't the case. For me, I'm not worried about the unlock for now.

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
The AT$T version just has too many negatives for me. No QI, half the storage, locked and probably no AWS bands.

Even if I was willing to pay the $40/month extra to be an AT$T customer, the storage and Qi issues would just add insult to injury.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
It does no good to unlock the AT&T phone. Where are you going to use it? It is RM-940.
RM-940 AT&T DTM removed, no Qi charging, LTE band 4 disabled, 16GB, LTE 2 5 17
Who besides AT&T uses those LTE bands? Answer that question for yourself before you go down the 'unlock the AT&T RM-940' path.

RobbyRob

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Nope. Got my Lumia 1520 today and love it. AT&T just makes it that much better.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo