L520 disable Haptic feedback

ninjarider1978

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone,

Recently purchased the wife a L520 on Rogers. Its a nice entry level phone for her, in fact her first touchscreen phone after using a blackberry for so long. After less the one day of using it she says it has to go back because of the haptic feedback being so annoying. Its a valid complaint because it would annoy me as well and having a L920 myself I remember before a previous update it was more annoying and now is basically non-existent. So I am happy happy and she is coming around to what the phone can do but is still annoyed with the feedback. Anyway, I was wondering a couple of things.... firstly, is it possible in GDR3/Black they will be fixing it? Secondly..... can it be disabled by removing a wire if I took it apart. I have watched a couple of YouTube videos on how disassemble it and it doesn't look hard and I assume there is a small motor/vibrator which should be wired and I should be able to remove that wire or even muffle the device some how, but I didn't notice anything on the videos.

Any thoughts or experience with this? Also, I have searched threads in WPC and haven't found anything addressing the electrical disabling option.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
If you are taking about the back, start, and search button, currently Nokia doesn't have a firmware to disable the feedback. Sorry about that.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
there's no switch unfortunately, but if she doesn't mind losing the vibrate function entirely, you could probably go an disconnect it easily, at least in my experience with the guts of phones

ninjarider1978

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
That's what I was thinking, just to disable it in the meantime and maybe Nokia will allow it to be reduced or disabled in Black. Just need to get the right torx driver now. Thanks!

Dirt_Bike_Rider

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
A couple of months ago I purchased a 520 and so far the haptic feedback is the only complaint that I have
with the phone. I don't like the haptic feedback at all and personally I don't see any value in it. It really
would be great if Nokia would provide some sort of firmware update that would allow the end user to easily
disable it. Other than this one minor issue I can truthfully say that I thoroughly enjoy using my 520. Overall,
the 520 is an excellent phone for the money. Great value in this particular device.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Nokia was actually planning to do this some time back. Apparently, the display+touch settings used to have "Windows keys" in its description. I still don't know what happened to that.

Dirt_Bike_Rider

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Nokia was actually planning to do this some time back. Apparently, the display+touch settings used to have "Windows keys" in its description. I still don't know what happened to that.
Thanks for the information pertaining to the haptic feedback. Maybe Nokia will revisit this sometime in the not too distant future. Do all Windows Phone 8 devices have the haptic feedback for the Back, Home and Search buttons? I know that Samsung now makes at least two Windows Phone 8 devices and I am curious as to whether or not the haptic feedback is present with those and can be disabled.

Dirt_Bike_Rider

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to everyone on the various WP Forums that made mention of the fact that Nokia provided a 'touch' update that now allows the haptic feedback to be disabled. This evening I went to the Windows Store and installed the 'touch' update and the haptic feedback is now history. I'm sure that some users really like the haptic feedback but it just didn't do it for me. I am now much, much happier with the WP experience! Once again, I appreciate all of the excellent information that you guys posted pertaining to this particular topic.

ninjarider1978

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I got so excited to hear the feedback was being disabled. I went home after work the day the update came out and installed it, but I screwed up and rebooted too early as the installation happened a lot slower on the 520 as it did on my 920. So now I can't even get into the settings anymore. When I touch the settings to get in it just fails to open and shuts right down again. I have been trying to figure out a way to reinstall the touch update but it seems there is now way without a complete wipe of the phone. Anyone know of a way to do this without wiping the phone? Thnx

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12