64GB MicroSDXC on Lumia 1520

rocwest

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
It's sold out at Best Buy. Adoroma has the Sandisk 80/50 card for $79.99 with free super saver shipping. The Best Buy link in my original post pointed to a card with 80MB/s read speed. Sandisk has been screwy about the naming of their Extreme and Extreme Plus cards. The only way to really know is to look at the specs and the model number. Or find the product via the Sandisk website.

I bought the Extreme Pro from Adorama for $98. A few days later it was sold out everywhere. Before purchasing I called Sandisk. The rep told me that the Pro was a 95/90 card...she said "guaranteed" but I think maybe she meant to say "up to." She mentioned to look for "Pro" on the card and not the packaging, and Adorama's stock of Pros at the time actually were Pros as my card said "Extreme Pro.". She did go on to say the Plus was "up to" 80/50, and I take it that she hinted to get the Pro while they were still out there.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I bought the Extreme Pro from Adorama for $98. A few days later it was sold out everywhere. Before purchasing I called Sandisk. The rep told me that the Pro was a 95/90 card...she said "guaranteed" but I think maybe she meant to say "up to." She mentioned to look for "Pro" on the card and not the packaging, and Adorama's stock of Pros at the time actually were Pros as my card said "Extreme Pro.". She did go on to say the Plus was "up to" 80/50, and I take it that she hinted to get the Pro while they were still out there.

As per the Sandisk website the Extreme Pro cards only go up to 16 GB capacity. No 64 GB cards are available. Can you confirm you got a 64 GB card?

I doubt any phones on the market make full use of the 80/50s read/write speeds. Maybe the read speed. You can find a chart of Canon DSLR write speeds HERE. As you can see from the chart the fastest SD recording speed on any camera up to and including the 5D MK III is 40MB/s.

n4y6bm.jpg

Can anyone confirm the read/write speeds for any modern smartphone?

I got the Extreme Plus card to do a bit of future proofing. But honestly I'm not willing to spend more than $80 total because by the time I have a phone that takes advantages of speeds in excess of 50MB/s the prices of faster cards will have come down. I don't know what speeds the 1520 is capable of. I am just assuming it's speed is in the neighborhood of Canon DSLRs... at most.

rocwest

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
As per the Sandisk website the Extreme Pro cards only go up to 16 GB capacity. No 64 GB cards are available. Can you confirm you got a 64 GB card?

Yes, mine's a 64GB Extreme Pro. One reason I bought it was to (as best possible) eliminate the chances of issues with "one-time-opportunity" video capture. It could be anything, kids, travel, whatever?it just seemed to be awfully cheap insurance in that regard. Second, in case of a warranty issue, one would always be guaranteed of receiving the fastest Sandisk replacement card extant?it's reasonable to assume the Plus' quoted 80/50 will be surpassed in a new "professional" line. My guess is that the reliable yield of 64GB cards that tested to the 95/90 Pro spec was low?

FWIW I am using the Sandisk Ultra 64GB cards in two dash cams shooting video at 1080P/30fps. They've been performing flawlessly, absolutely no stuttering.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Yes, mine's a 64GB Extreme Pro.

Cool. Thanks for clarifying. By the time I started looking for a card the 64 GB Extreme Pro was not available. I got the Extreme Plus for future proofing purposes. I doubt the 1520 is capable of maxing it out. But I hear you on the insurance angle. I would hate to miss a shot just because my card is slow.

Jarip

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Here is WRITE speed of Sandisk Ultra 64 Gb, tested by Hardware Test 3.0: 16,52 Mb :p

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140223_0001[1].png
    wp_ss_20140223_0001[1].png
    274 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Jarip

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I've been using the 32gb SanDisk Ultra for about amonth now without any issues...it's like it isn't even there.

Yeah, I think that a problem has something to do with a size of microSD card - maybe a file system of 32 Gb microSD cards is FAT32, some works well and 64 Gb microSD cards are using exFAT file system (with support for over 32 Gb size and files over 4 Gb), some has a problem ... it might need just an update for OS ... or a faster microSD card :)

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
The 128GB microSDXC is here already

SanDisk has just announced a new 128GB Ultra microSDXC UHS-I memory card. This should work in all devices with support for SDXC, including the 1520, theoretically.

SanDisk ups microSD capacity to 128GB with new card

It will probably saturate the bus-speed of 1520, but that's an "Ultra", so it will be interesting to see how it performs on 1520.

Hamboza

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
I have the same 64GB Sandisk Ultra and was using it on a samsung galaxy note 8.0, and got me a new 1520 yesterday, but it doesn't seem to read it. It's grayed out in the phone storage options. should it be in a specific format? or any suggestions?

MoggSquad

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Is there another app beside "hardware test" to benchmark my sd card on my phone. I have the 64gb sandisk extreme plus (advertises up to 50/80) and it's showing me as having 10MB write speeds which is absurd.

cariocap

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Just a note about FAT32 and exFAT case you don't know.

When you format the SD card using the phone it formats using FAT32 and then you have the limit of files < 4GB.
If you want to write files > 4GB you have to format the SD card using your windows computer and format using exFAT and then insert the SD into the phone.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: The 128GB microSDXC is here already

SanDisk has just announced a new 128GB Ultra microSDXC UHS-I memory card. This should work in all devices with support for SDXC, including the 1520, theoretically.

SanDisk ups microSD capacity to 128GB with new card

It will probably saturate the bus-speed of 1520, but that's an "Ultra", so it will be interesting to see how it performs on 1520.

I'm using the 128GB Sandisk in my 1520... Works seamlessly. The 1520 eats this thing for breakfast!!!!
You can record video at 1080p straight to SD. No glitches or hiccups..As I said ..seamless!!!

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Just as an fyi, since the cyan update I have had no problems with the music info blanking out after restarting the phone, which was my major of only issue with the card. The only issues I've had since then are that some apps would become corrupted and black out, which I have been able to fix by uninstalling them from my card and then reinstalling them to my phone. That was just a couple apps though.

sothestorygoes

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
Just thought i'd bring this thread back, i'm having a few issues with music on my SanDisk 64GB SDXC card and thought i'd see if anyone can help...

When adding music to the card my 1520 won't always recognise all the tracks in an album, this previously has been rectified by popping the card back in my laptop, deleting and re-adding the album again. However since the Cyan update this no longer seems to work and I have a bunch of albums with half the tracks missing, very irritating.

I seem to have a few issues with the xbox music app in general on this phone (I used to have a Samsung Ativ S where I used the same card, no issues) so I'll list here in case relevant.
Its awful at adding album artwork, had a few issues with clicking to play one artist and another starting instead, volume for no reason suddenly climbing up to full without being able to turn down and recent plays menu not being recorded. I havent had any of the music info/tag problems others seem to have had though.

I have a read a bit of stuff online that says SDHC (not SDXC) is what you should be using to store media for a phone. Is there any merit in my buying a whole new card, anyone tried this?

Cheers.

Sanver Ozcan

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
First I apologize for the English .
SanDisk Extreme pro 64GB micro SDCX UHS- 1 I bought new .
I was listening to music at the same time taking pictures . Sound was also deterioration . Then I looked at the line store windows from sd card speed . 26MB / s did not come up . I threw the phone twice format . 95 MB / s writes in the box. I made ​​the wrong ones that I wonder? Waiting for your comments. thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999