920 vs 1020

LP Slade

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi All! I wanted to get some opinions. I currently use an iPhone 5 as my primary phone. In June I bought a 521 since it was so cheap just to play with the OS to see if it was for me. While I really like the OS, we all know that it is lacking some important features so this has prevented me from making the full switch over (as well as other ecosystem issue that I'm slowly coming to terms with :smile: ). I also found that compared to the other Lumias, the 521 was seriously lacking in features (speed, storage, CAMERA). My phone's camera is a rather important part of my mobile experience so obviously the 1020 was very interesting to me. Of ALL Lumias, though, I MUCH prefer the 925's design ... only issue there is the storage options. The only 32GB option is exclusive to Vodafone here in Spain and I want an unlocked phone. My question to everyone here is how the 920 is in everyday use and especially the camera compared to the 1020.

I actually just bought the 920 online because I found it for just under 300? and it was the cheapest unlocked higher-end Lumia I could find. I'm just nervous now that maybe I should have spent more and gotten the amazing camera of the 1020. Thoughts?? This 920 is likely just going to hold me over until the 1820 comes out, but I'm still so intrigued by the 1020 ... just not a fan of the aesthetics. By the way, how does everyone here cope with the stock calendar app in WP8??? In the Daily view it's fine I guess, but Month view?! :unhappysweat:

Please no iPhone bashing. I'm a tech ****** ... not an Apple ******, Google ****** OR Microsoft ******. I love all tech equally!!

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
The main differences that you will notice is the camera in the 1020 and the built-in wireless charging of the 920. Otherwise, your experience will be about the same.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I believe the 1020 also has twice the RAM, although it doesn't affect the core experience too much.

The two also have different screen tech, with the 1020 being AMOLED, and the 920 being an LCD. (I think the differences are well documented)

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I believe the 1020 also has twice the RAM, although it doesn't affect the core experience too much.

The two also have different screen tech, with the 1020 being AMOLED, and the 920 being an LCD. (I think the differences are well documented)

Most users won't care about the screen tech as they won't be using them side-by-side. Also, I thought about mentioning the RAM, but, as you said, it doesn't affect the experience of the user.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I mean, the 1020 is a step up in camera performance. No doubt. Any review/comparison will show this. Its just how bad you want that?

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi All! I wanted to get some opinions. I currently use an iPhone 5 as my primary phone. In June I bought a 521 since it was so cheap just to play with the OS to see if it was for me. While I really like the OS, we all know that it is lacking some important features so this has prevented me from making the full switch over (as well as other ecosystem issue that I'm slowly coming to terms with :smile: ). I also found that compared to the other Lumias, the 521 was seriously lacking in features (speed, storage, CAMERA). My phone's camera is a rather important part of my mobile experience so obviously the 1020 was very interesting to me. Of ALL Lumias, though, I MUCH prefer the 925's design ... only issue there is the storage options. The only 32GB option is exclusive to Vodafone here in Spain and I want an unlocked phone. My question to everyone here is how the 920 is in everyday use and especially the camera compared to the 1020.

I actually just bought the 920 online because I found it for just under 300€ and it was the cheapest unlocked higher-end Lumia I could find. I'm just nervous now that maybe I should have spent more and gotten the amazing camera of the 1020. Thoughts?? This 920 is likely just going to hold me over until the 1820 comes out, but I'm still so intrigued by the 1020 ... just not a fan of the aesthetics. By the way, how does everyone here cope with the stock calendar app in WP8??? In the Daily view it's fine I guess, but Month view?! :unhappysweat:

Please no iPhone bashing. I'm a tech ****** ... not an Apple ******, Google ****** OR Microsoft ******. I love all tech equally!!

I don't think you should have any issues with the 920. True, the 1020 has an even better camera, but you'll love the 920's camera as well. I have a 920 and absolutely love it. I think it's still a worthwhile purchase at this point. Enjoy it! :smile:

alpha beta gaga

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
the 920 has one of the best cameras on a phone right now. and costs ?230.
the 1020 has the best camera on a phone right now. and costs ?530

everything else experience wise will be roughly the same. so are you ready to pay an extra ?300 for the 1020 camera? i saved ?300 and chose the 920. the 920 camera is superb for my needs. i prefer the sleek 920 shell too and have zero worries about damaging it whilst pocket-ed. i had the 1020 for a week and always worried about knocking/damaging that camera

rocketboy

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The only problem I've had with my L920 is that people keep asking me if it's the L1020. :) That's getting kind of annoying, but at least people are really getting to notice WP...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The only problem I've had with my L920 is that people keep asking me if it's the L1020. :) That's getting kind of annoying, but at least people are really getting to notice WP...

people never call it the 1020, its always *that* nokia phone, or the phone with the insane camera

brdl04

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
To me it wasn't worth it. Due to the fact that the user experience on both devices will be the same. The camera is a big plus but the downside is no wireless charging. So if you do indeed take a lot of pictures and don't care about having to put a cover on the back to get wireless charging compatibility, and want to spend $$$ more, then get the 1020.

WPer

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
In addition, you will definitely notice 1020 is much lighter than 920. Also, the large lenses module on 1020 won't let you lie the phone on the desk horizontally.

I think if you are not a super photo mania, 920 is good enough.

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
It all depends on yr needs...I always wanted the best camera phone. Earlier I had the 808 pv. And now I got the lumia 1020. ..wic is awesome...now the diff is also that many people dint mention is the awesome camera grip that makes your phone like a professional camera and attach it to any tripod. 1020 is lighter than 920 . I have purchased camera grip and wireless charging shell. And the charging shell works as a cover for me as well.i find 1020 design better than 920.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa