AT&T Nokia 1520 (16 gb not enough space)

lerimer

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I love the device. Its probably the best windows phone I've ever had. Just one thing wrong with the device. The 16gb that AT&T has up us with. The OS its self is 4.2gb big. We need Microsoft allow apps to be installed on the SD cards. I hope that 8.1 has the option to install apps to SD cards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: AT&T Nokia 1520

Yeah i definitely won't be downloading games and then forgetting i downloaded them like i did on my 920/928/1020....i was looking at my phone and i was like Wow...what the heck is using so much memory that i am down to like 9.8 GB

lerimer

May 24, 2011
Visit site

Same here. Got the full memory warning earlier. So I basically deleted all the games from it. I also have a 64GB SD installed, but Microsoft doesn't allow apps to be installed on SD cards. Just music and videos....

Sent from my 1520 using Tapatalk

cayano

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
The same here, I got mine yesterday and after installing all my apps I had only 4 GB left. I have a 32 GB micro SD card, but it does not help with the apps. I am thinking to return it, swallow 35 restocking fee, and wait the 32GB version. I do not understand ATT mentality.

lerimer

May 24, 2011
Visit site

I'm considering doing the same thing, but knowing AT&T we probably won't see the 32gb one till spring.

lerimer

May 24, 2011
Visit site

I don't understand how phone manufacturers let the carriers decide on their products. Microsoft and Nokia should learn from Apple on this one. No one tells apple what to do with their phones. I believe that's how it should be.

TravelBro

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

You need to cut back on the apps my friend. I had my 920 loaded up with all manner of useless apps and they still only equaled about 10 gb. Might be time to remove some of the talking animals and fart machines. :winktongue:

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

I don't understand how phone manufacturers let the carriers decide on their products. Microsoft and Nokia should learn from Apple on this one. No one tells apple what to do with their phones. I believe that's how it should be.

Its a pretty simple concept. When Nokia and Microsoft begin selling at apple levels with their devices then you will likely see them having a larger voice.

When you are at the bottom, so to speak, you can't just boss carriers around because they don't need you as much as you need them. Sad fact is, if att stopped carrying windows phones, it would not hurt att anywhere as near as if they stopped carrying iPhones.

Bruce Carroll

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site

The even more simply concept is that Microsoft and Nokia won't be able to sell at Apple levels if AT&T keeps making bonehead decisions on trying to sell their product. I swear, I think AT&T sells Windows solely as for leverage against Apple and Samsung.

I had a online discussion with Microsoft at one point about how AT&T was doing them wrong concerning patches. Microsoft really didn't seem to give a crap and kept telling me to talk to the manufacturer. And then said "Have a nice day" and cut me off. For real?

Wait till Apple funds their own wireless infrastructure. Nokia and Microsoft will cut bait

TravelBro

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site

You need to cut back on the apps my friend. I had my 920 loaded up with all manner of useless apps and they still only equaled about 10 gb. Might be time to remove some of the talking animals and fart machines. :winktongue:
Lol at the talking animals and fart machines..

Yeah to the op... Delete all of the att apps you will not use. I will delete all att apps

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

Um, I think had they not cut down the specs they did, it wouldn't be priced at the way it is

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site

So the utility of saving apps to the SD Card then sideloading them to the phone is that you can do it from your desktop and avoid data charges? Otherwise what's the point? Maybe it would be faster to sideload than to download directly to the phone? In cases when you wanted to install the same apps on a new phone. So you'd only incur data charges when updating (unless you went to the trouble of downloading updates to the SD and then sideloading).

I recall this same issue with Blackberry phones awhile back. There was some advancement IIRC and even some 3rd party programs that allowed running from SD. But that created a lot of performance issues, so having larger internal memory is much more preferable than being able to run off SD, although it might be some high-performance cards would allow decent results. By the time BB got up to 16g of internal memory, there was no issue. I never ran more than a few, usually small games, and also didn't mind the incentive to houseclean the device periodically, to cull out the apps I needed and used and to discard the rest. There are frequent OS leaks and upgrades with BB, so a lot of time and data was spent re-downloading apps which might have been helped if I stored them on the SD, particularly since backup and restore functions continue to be spotty.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

back in the day on windows phone 7, there was a way to make is so your samsung focus could read from the SD card. is there anyway to trick the OS to include the SD card as part of it's built in memory?

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site

back in the day on windows phone 7, there was a way to make is so your samsung focus could read from the SD card. is there anyway to trick the OS to include the SD card as part of it's built in memory?
WP7 was a very different OS and treated the SD card quite differently. When WP7 started up, it reformatted the SD card, encrypted it so that it couldn't be used in any other device (including your computer), and then treated the internal memory and the SD card as a single storage volume (sort of like a RAID 0 stripe set). Effectively, the phone and the SD card became an inseparable pair, but the total storage did increase and could be used for anything. The down side was that you can never remove that card or the phone would effectively master reset as the book partition would appear to be damaged.

lerimer

May 24, 2011
Visit site

Its a pretty simple concept. When Nokia and Microsoft begin selling at apple levels with their devices then you will likely see them having a larger voice.

When you are at the bottom, so to speak, you can't just boss carriers around because they don't need you as much as you need them. Sad fact is, if att stopped carrying windows phones, it would not hurt att anywhere as near as if they stopped carrying iPhones.

true, but you have to remember that since day 1 apple never let any carrier tell them what to do. That's why there is no preinstalled carrier software, no carrier startup screen and updates don't go thru the carriers. And in the beginning noone wanted the iPhone. In the USA Cingular Wireless took on the gamble and won.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster