AT&T Nokia 1520 (16 gb not enough space)

lerimer

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: AT&T Nokia 1520

I wouldn't mind if windows used the SD card again like it did in windows phone 7. I rearly remove my SD card. If the did it be nice to reformat it to default though. I remember I had a 32gb in my focus and had to throw away the card after I sold the focus because I could never get it to work again.

Sent from my 1520 using Tapatalk

lerimer

May 24, 2011
Visit site

You need to cut back on the apps my friend. I had my 920 loaded up with all manner of useless apps and they still only equaled about 10 gb. Might be time to remove some of the talking animals and fart machines. :winktongue:

I wish it was that easy. I love my fart apps!!! Lol

Sent from my 1520 using Tapatalk

Phrozty

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site

Is there some app or something that will list the specific breakdown of memory usage for each folder/app/etc?

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
32 is a better number for sure. I had the L925 before this phone. I loaded it will a lot of apps. I never had a memory issue and that device only has 16gb. Lets say you have 10gb left on your device that's 10,240 Mb. Most apps are 1mb most games are 2mb. That mean you can load 5120 games or 10,240 apps assuming the average sizes. How long would it take you to play 5120 games assuming you played each game for 15 minutes? It would take you 76,800 minutes thats 53 days assuming you played 24 hours a day, just to play each game once. I think if you look hard at it. 16gb isn't that bad. The only thing that really takes up a lot of space is meltimedia. If you put all of that on a 64gb card you should be good to go unless you play games 24 hours a day for 53 days at a time... IJS

kbilly70

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
The same here, I got mine yesterday and after installing all my apps I had only 4 GB left. I have a 32 GB micro SD card, but it does not help with the apps. I am thinking to return it, swallow 35 restocking fee, and wait the 32GB version. I do not understand ATT mentality.

I got mine Friday and while I love the phone, I am returning mine and will wait for the 32GB version. Having 32GB on my 920, I never realized how fast I ate through storage until I only had 16GB.

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Nokia can launch a variant of each flagship phone on Verizon, equipped with all the bells and whistles. That way WP supporters can get top of the line devices and at&t should not have a problem since they had the first opportunity to carry the high end model.

kbilly70

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
32 is a better number for sure. I had the L925 before this phone. I loaded it will a lot of apps. I never had a memory issue and that device only has 16gb. Lets say you have 10gb left on your device that's 10,240 Mb. Most apps are 1mb most games are 2mb. That mean you can load 5120 games or 10,240 apps assuming the average sizes. How long would it take you to play 5120 games assuming you played each game for 15 minutes? It would take you 76,800 minutes thats 53 days assuming you played 24 hours a day, just to play each game once. I think if you look hard at it. 16gb isn't that bad. The only thing that really takes up a lot of space is meltimedia. If you put all of that on a 64gb card you should be good to go unless you play games 24 hours a day for 53 days at a time... IJS

Download Halo, 3-4 Gameloft games, 2 Square Enix games, and a few others and you just ate through 7-8GB. Download some maps, that's another 2-4GB. Add in 1GB for random apps. You've just used almost all the storage available. It's great if people can get by with 16GB but peoples usage/habits vary. I for one definitely need the extra storage.

I bought the 1520 to see if I could get by with 16GB but it's not feasible for me so I am returning it and will wait for the 32GB version or an 8.1 device.

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
The other big thing that you can't put on the SD card is app data (Isolated Storage), aka "Other" storage.

For most apps, this probably isn't a huge issue, or at least no more huge than we've already experienced with "Other," but my main use for my 521 (second phone) is as an audio book player, via the Audible app. Every book that you download goes into the app storage/isolated storage/other, and cannot go to the SD card.

I'd like to be able to download the dozen or so books that I haven't listened to yet, but on an 8GB device, this is a complete no-go, even with a 64GB SD card plugged into it.

16GB improves this situation very little.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
You realize 1gb = 1024 mb

Top three free games:

My Talking Tom = 27mb

Pinball Star =10mb

Star Wars Tiny Death Star =59mb

That's 96mb, you can load all those games 10 times before you reach 1-gb

I am not trying to tell you what to do. If you want 32 get the 32. I am just trying to add some perspective here. What gameloft games are you installing that take up 7-8 GB?

kbilly70

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
You realize 1gb = 1024 mb

Top three free games:

My Talking Tom = 27mb

Pinball Star =10mb

Star Wars Tiny Death Star =59mb

That's 96mb, you can load all those games 10 times before you reach 1-gb

I am not trying to tell you what to do. If you want 32 get the 32. I am just trying to add some perspective here. What gameloft games are you installing that take up 7-8 GB?

Yes, I know how much a GB is. :eek:rly: And I don't play any of those games you mentioned.

I never said Gameloft games take up 7-8GB. I said those and some others: Halo, Final Fantasy, Chaos Rings, Modern Combat 4, NOVA 3, Order & Chaos, Asphalt 7 - those alone are ~7GB. Add in some others and it eats it up fairly quickly. Now add offline maps and other apps and you are reaching capacity.

I understand your perspective, I was just trying to point out that people that are gamers or app heavy could easily use up all their storage.

Last edited:

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Yes, I know how much a GB is. :eek:rly: And I don't play any of those games you mentioned.

I never said Gameloft games take up 7-8GB. I said those and some others: Halo, Final Fantasy, Chaos Rings, Modern Combat 4, NOVA 3, Order & Chaos, Asphalt 7 - those alone are ~7GB. Add in some others and it eats it up fairly quickly. Now add offline maps and other maps and you are reaching capacity.

I understand your perspective, I was just trying to point out that people that are gamers or app heavy could easily use up all their storage.

Fare enough I can agee with that. I think just a little memory management could make 16gb sufficient for most people. All I am really trying to do here is add some perspective. If you don't care to have to memory manage wait for the 32gb devices to release. For me 16gb will be fine. I want my L1520 now I won't give it up for something that is a non issue for me.

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
As previously noted, with the Beta version of Lumia Storage Check, you have the option of forcing downloaded maps to the SD card.

At least for the Windows Phone native mapping apps and the Nokia mapping apps. If you're using Garmin, it still goes to the non-SD storage, I believe.

kbilly70

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Fare enough I can agee with that. I think just a little memory management could make 16gb sufficient for most people. All I am really trying to do here is add some perspective. If you don't care to have to memory manage wait for the 32gb devices to release. For me 16gb will be fine. I want my L1520 now I won't give it up for something that is a non issue for me.

Yeah, I think the 16GB will be fine for many users. It really will be hard to go back to my 920. I've picked it up a few times since getting the 1520 and it's just seems dinky.

kbilly70

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
As previously noted, with the Beta version of Lumia Storage Check, you have the option of forcing downloaded maps to the SD card.

At least for the Windows Phone native mapping apps and the Nokia mapping apps. If you're using Garmin, it still goes to the non-SD storage, I believe.

Ah, thanks for that. I didn't realize that you could do that.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Having just come back from the AT&T store, the 1520 they had was an amazing device. But, I had kinda promised myself to wait on a 32GB device. Then I really looked at my L900 storage:

I have 1.8 GB left of space, and almost none of it is apps. It is all music and podcasts, so maybe I need to come off of the high horse. I would not pay $200.00 for a 16GB device, but at $100.00, this may work.

However, this huge of a device is obviously aimed at Gamers, and 16 GB of app space when that is your market is a strange decision. @kbilly70's arguments above are legit.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
When you pay for some of the bigger games, you tend to want to keep them on the device. Otherwise, you lose game saves.

If you mainly want to use the 1520 for games, the 16GB doesn't make much sense.

But if you just play a casual game here and there, and make sure to offload video to your PC every once in a while, then 16GB may be okay.

I know that on my 920 I have sometimes come near filling my memory. So it does require a little memory management with 32GB. It would be so much more with only half that storage space. Especially with the higher resolution camera on the 1520.

It may sound ridiculous to some, but I wish there was a 64 GB version!

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

it s a no-go... Placing the app in the SD card will just tell the phone that the app is there and the phone will then transfer it to its internal storage...

Not true. The xap remains on the SD and is extracted to local storage, which cuts the space requirements to install something in half.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
When you pay for some of the bigger games, you tend to want to keep them on the device. Otherwise, you lose game saves.

If you mainly want to use the 1520 for games, the 16GB doesn't make much sense.

But if you just play a casual game here and there, and make sure to offload video to your PC every once in a while, then 16GB may be okay.

I know that on my 920 I have sometimes come near filling my memory. So it does require a little memory management with 32GB. It would be so much more with only half that storage space. Especially with the higher resolution camera on the 1520.

It may sound ridiculous to some, but I wish there was a 64 GB version!
The apps i can understand but once I popped my SD card in the phone I was good to go with pictures.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo