AT&T Nokia 1520 (16 gb not enough space)

lerimer

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: AT&T Nokia 1520

Not true. The xap remains on the SD and is extracted to local storage, which cuts the space requirements to install something in half.

the post is not about space for install. Its about space for storage. :)

Sent from my 1520 using Tapatalk

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

the post is not about space for install. Its about space for storage. :)

Sent from my 1520 using Tapatalk

Correct, but it does have bearing on the discussion since you will be denied the ability to install an app if you're running too low on space. Having it on the MicroSD first to deploy it could help people overcome that issue. So it's still welcome information...at least in my opinion, but this is your thread after all so I will defer. :)

Edit: Fixed the weird issue with it posting what I typed in the middle of the quote.

Last edited:

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site

I was going to wait for the 32 GB version to be released by AT&T until I realized all my apps took up 4.69 GB of storage. Music and videos takes up the greatest amount of my storage. I am going to use the $50 prize credit from my WP Central Halloween contest win to buy a SD card. :excited:

Meredith43

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
The other big thing that you can't put on the SD card is app data (Isolated Storage), aka "Other" storage.

For most apps, this probably isn't a huge issue, or at least no more huge than we've already experienced with "Other," but my main use for my 521 (second phone) is as an audio book player, via the Audible app. Every book that you download goes into the app storage/isolated storage/other, and cannot go to the SD card.

I'd like to be able to download the dozen or so books that I haven't listened to yet, but on an 8GB device, this is a complete no-go, even with a 64GB SD card plugged into it.

16GB improves this situation very little.

THANK YOU! I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out what the heck the 4GB of "other" is on my storage chart. It's Audible! I am an avid listener and currently have several titles stored on my phone. Mystery solved. But this is concerning as I am down-sizing from 32GB on my 920 to 16GB on my Unicorn Yellow 1520.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

Um, I think had they not cut down the specs they did, it wouldn't be priced at the way it is

Got a winner right here folks. You all demand top of line specs and expect it to cost next to nothing. There has to be some give and take somewhere. I look for there to be a "Come to Jesus" change in the way carriers sell devices.

Meredith43

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site

Got a winner right here folks. You all demand top of line specs and expect it to cost next to nothing. There has to be some give and take somewhere. I look for there to be a "Come to Jesus" change in the way carriers sell devices.

The $99 offer was the only thing that made me seriously consider getting a new device. It's a magical marketing sum that nearly always works. I'll be the first to admit I am a sucker for that just under 100 mark. Granted, the 1020 and 1520 are worth $200 each on their own merits, but I wouldn't have used a contract upgrade slot to replace my near perfect 920 unless the $99 ploy was in play. It allowed me to keep the safety net 920 AND get a new toy with no worries, instead of selling the 920 right away and hoping I made a good decision.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

I think people expected it to have the same features and similar pricing to what was announced.

I think that everyone that is hesitant about the lack of storage space would be more than willing to pay more for the real true version of the phone. The one that gets sold internationally.

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I love the device. Its probably the best windows phone I've ever had. Just one thing wrong with the device. The 16gb that AT&T has up us with. The OS its self is 4.2gb big. We need Microsoft allow apps to be installed on the SD cards. I hope that 8.1 has the option to install apps to SD cards.

The reason they don't allow it is because it would give the illusion that apps perform slowly and rubbishly because sd cards aren't as fast as the built in memory. Yes you might get a really fast memory card but someone else somewhere will get a really cheap ultra slow one and then will bad mouth Windows Phone because the apps will run slowly

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
so I am down to 8.12 GB of internal space

With about 73 total apps installed on my phone(Plus 2 games....Halo Spartan Assault and Spectral Souls)

While I am not used to being this low on memory(I believe my 1020 was at like 11 GB remaining storage), I think I will be alright :D Personally for me, there is no need to have 10-15 different games on the phone.

I have Emipsx and a bunch of emulators to play games with.

My photos and my music all go to my SD card....the other 8 GB remaining I will leave as is :D And I am not having to change my way of doing things either...Well not in a bad way.
With the lower memory this is making me be more proactive as far as what I am downloading and saving to my phone.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I like big games and I cannot lie.
You other brothers can't deny.
When you download that game onto itty bitty space
But want a reticle on your face
You get sprung!

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
The reason they don't allow it is because it would give the illusion that apps perform slowly and rubbishly because sd cards aren't as fast as the built in memory. Yes you might get a really fast memory card but someone else somewhere will get a really cheap ultra slow one and then will bad mouth Windows Phone because the apps will run slowly

They could solve that by having the phone run a check on the SD doing read/write tests and if it doesn't pass their test then it can be used for media storage only.

They already have utilities that do this on the Xbox 360 and in Windows that only allows you to use thumb drives for performance boosts or game/app storage if they meet certain performance specs. Otherwise it will only use them for file storage, not app storage.

sherwin892

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I just priced matched a microsdxc 64g on Amazon with Best Buy for 44 bucks. I don't know that I'll need that many apps or use that many. I guess games take up the most storage space. I guess time will tell for my uses.

Meredith43

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Yea, it's not enough, I got a 32 gig SD card but I still wanna know what the hell "other" is. takes up a lot of space.

Quote Originally Posted by drbanks View Post
The other big thing that you can't put on the SD card is app data (Isolated Storage), aka "Other" storage.

For most apps, this probably isn't a huge issue, or at least no more huge than we've already experienced with "Other," but my main use for my 521 (second phone) is as an audio book player, via the Audible app. Every book that you download goes into the app storage/isolated storage/other, and cannot go to the SD card.

I'd like to be able to download the dozen or so books that I haven't listened to yet, but on an 8GB device, this is a complete no-go, even with a 64GB SD card plugged into it.

16GB improves this situation very little.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm managing with 8 GB (and a memory card for media), so I'm sure this would be more than enough. Now if this was 16 GB without the memory card, I'd have a problem

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)