Lumia 929 release date now Dec 6

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Is it safe to say that everyone gave up on the 929 "icon"?

Hell. No. Do you see the rest of the threads on this subsection? Everyone did, however, give up on the December 6th release date. And the November 21st date before that. We're mostly holding out for a January 15th release date now.

Ah... The joys of being a WP fan on Verizon. Wishful thinking and heartbreaking galore.

Kart69

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
How do ANY of you know its Verizon's fault for not releasing the phone when YOU want it, How do ANY of you know its Nokia's fault, How do ANY of you know its Microsoft's fault. It could be ANY ONE of them, or none at all... It was never announced by any one of them, so there is not a delay. those dates listed were from someone that doesn't KNOW what they are talking about. Those dates are just what some person thought the dates would be. RUMOR, RUMOR, RUMOR. So, dont put blame on any of the three companies... Who knows if it may have even been the FCC. If you are all so damn smart, start your own cell phone service provider, cell phone manufacturer, and software company.

Complaining to any of those companies will do NO GOOD... they will come out with the phone when they want, and they could not care less about a dozen cry babies. you all need to get a life...

UncleGrandpa

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Samsung could bring out a kick *** WP that would blow everything else out of the water. It's a market they could dominate as well as android, if they wanted to.

Samsung isn't hamstrung by the whole Nokia-Microsoft period of adjustment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slowburnaz

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
How do ANY of you know its Verizon's fault for not releasing the phone when YOU want it, How do ANY of you know its Nokia's fault, How do ANY of you know its Microsoft's fault. It could be ANY ONE of them, or none at all... It was never announced by any one of them, so there is not a delay. those dates listed were from someone that doesn't KNOW what they are talking about. Those dates are just what some person thought the dates would be. RUMOR, RUMOR, RUMOR. So, dont put blame on any of the three companies... Who knows if it may have even been the FCC. If you are all so damn smart, start your own cell phone service provider, cell phone manufacturer, and software company.

Complaining to any of those companies will do NO GOOD... they will come out with the phone when they want, and they could not care less about a dozen cry babies. you all need to get a life...

Thanks for your astute insight, and honoring us cry babies with your attention.

Bravo.

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
How do ANY of you know its Verizon's fault for not releasing the phone when YOU want it, How do ANY of you know its Nokia's fault, How do ANY of you know its Microsoft's fault. It could be ANY ONE of them, or none at all... It was never announced by any one of them, so there is not a delay. those dates listed were from someone that doesn't KNOW what they are talking about. Those dates are just what some person thought the dates would be. RUMOR, RUMOR, RUMOR. So, dont put blame on... Etc etc etc...

The simple fact is that no matter WHO is to blame, the launch of this phone has by sheer timing, been fumbled. Verizon has a long history of making product launches the equivalent of a trip to the dentist. If it's the manufacturer's fault then... Same problem. They are going to roll out a "great" phone right about the time no one gives a sh*t. Look at the fluidity, timing and natural cadence by which the real players in the market launch their devices. Samsung is rolling out a arguably superior device in the S5 in perfect rhythm to its predecessor and Apple has done the same for years. The G3 will likely be the same and the HTC flagship as well. Whoever is to blame, it's a consistent "almost there kid!" review for every Windows Phone because of timing and launch. Wow! a 1080p screen... big deal...

I say this, still hoping, to purchase the phone before it is obviously dwarfed by others. THAT is why I would LIKE to blame someone.

Maanasee Deshmukh

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
The simple fact is that no matter WHO is to blame, the launch of this phone has by sheer timing, been fumbled. Verizon has a long history of making product launches the equivalent of a trip to the dentist. If it's the manufacturer's fault then... Same problem. They are going to roll out a "great" phone right about the time no one gives a sh*t. Look at the fluidity, timing and natural cadence by which the real players in the market launch their devices. Samsung is rolling out a arguably superior device in the S5 in perfect rhythm to its predecessor and Apple has done the same for years. The G3 will likely be the same and the HTC flagship as well. Whoever is to blame, it's a consistent "almost there kid!" review for every Windows Phone because of timing and launch. Wow! a 1080p screen... big deal...

I say this, still hoping, to purchase the phone before it is obviously dwarfed by others. THAT is why I would LIKE to blame someone.

Well complaining to Verizon or Microsoft or Nokia won't help will it? It's not like they will listen... unless enough people in the Windows market complain....

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site

I can tell Verizon is going to disregard every actual piece of evidence as to why this launch won't go well, and then wrongly say it sold poorly because no one wants Windows Phone.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Whaat? I'm not waiting for this phone at all. But I know many ppl do. What they are waiting for, ppl been talking about this phone since last year (Nov/Dec).. This is not going to lead to anything good, MS going to fail sooner or later. Not because of this device only, but for how they are "working" basically they aren't doing anything. Nokia was the active one, MS going to own it soon..and then what?

UncleGrandpa

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
This phone is not likely going to sway many non Nokia /WP users away from their current phones , many of which already have equivalent or better technology.

Windows 8 on the desktop has been a huge flop. Even HP is reintroducing new PCs with windows 7 again to get sales back on track. In fact windows. 8.1x is Microsoft in effect throwing in the towel and admitting that windows 8 was poorly received...so if so many folks already hate windows 8 on their computers then why in hell would they also want that on a smartphone? Most people must realize that not everybody buys computers and tablets and phones for playtime and goofing around with friends and playing games or taking pictures and movies.

Some people actually have to work with legacy software at the office and to be able to function with other businesses that also are using older software that's time tested and reliable. Bleeding is for fools with lots of time on their hands and in business there's no time for bleeding. Let somebody else do that first and prove that their vision is ready for prime time players that can't afford experimenting.

No , the hype on this phone is self induced by the base fan boys and girls ...and there it will likely stay.

People that philosophically hate Google or Apple ...I can understand that but if you think Microsoft is innocent of collecting data from their massive installed PC base you're kidding yourselves.

That argument is a moot argument. Nobody's clean.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
This phone is not likely going to sway many non Nokia /WP users away from their current phones , many of which already have equivalent or better technology.

Windows 8 on the desktop has been a huge flop. Even HP is reintroducing new PCs with windows 7 again to get sales back on track. In fact windows. 8.1x is Microsoft in effect throwing in the towel and admitting that windows 8 was poorly received...so if so many folks already hate windows 8 on their computers then why in hell would they also want that on a smartphone? Most people must realize that not everybody buys computers and tablets and phones for playtime and goofing around with friends and playing games or taking pictures and movies.

Some people actually have to work with legacy software at the office and to be able to function with other businesses that also are using older software that's time tested and reliable. Bleeding is for fools with lots of time on their hands and in business there's no time for bleeding. Let somebody else do that first and prove that their vision is ready for prime time players that can't afford experimenting.

No , the hype on this phone is self induced by the base fan boys and girls ...and there it will likely stay.

People that philosophically hate Google or Apple ...I can understand that but if you think Microsoft is innocent of collecting data from their massive installed PC base you're kidding yourselves.

You should probably pull that stick out at some point.

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
This is true. It is a good time to own a smartphone. The cream of the crop for Android, iOS and Windows Phone are all relatively equivalent.

Windows 8 has sold roughly equivilent numbers of licenses as Windows 7 in the same amount of time, despite a declining overall PC market. Upgrades for Windows 8 were sold at a much higher rate than they were for Windows 7, a first for the company which traditionally had only a 3% upgrade rate. This means that people were intentionally choosing Windows 8, rather than only upgrading as they buy a new PC which was how most upgrades happened in the past.

Yes, the tech press has blasted Windows 8. But as is often the case, the press did not reflect the buying pattern of users.

Good thing Windows 8 works with Windows 7 software just fine then, eh? There were no underlying changes that affected backwards compatibility in this version.

This is likely true. Over the past two years the driver of growth for both Android and WP has been low end phones like the 52x and 62x, not the high end halo models like the 9xx line. WP has been growing at an incredible rate, but again, its been all the low end handsets.

Like most things it is a matter of degrees. All three of the companies have comprehensive privacy policies. Those policies may be violated on occasion but they are legally actionable. Only one of the three majors, however, has a primary profit incentive in changing their policies in ways that compromise user privacy. Microsoft and Apple make their money selling hardware and software. Google makes their money selling their users to advertisers, governments, insurance agencies, banks and others. If privacy is a concern, and admittedly for many it is not, then the choice becomes Apple or Microsoft. For those of us who do not care for iOS, we have a couple alternatives: WP or Cyanogenmod. Which is a good thing. Choice is good.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Even HP is reintroducing new PCs with windows 7 again to get sales back on track.

That's factually incorrect. HP has ALWAYS sold Windows 7 devices. That was just a one week ad on their site where 7 devices had a focus. It was simple marketing. Head back to their site today and it's all touchscreen devices and Win 8. Of course, the media (even our own Michael Archambault) was quick to jump on it like it was the death knell of Win 8. No news coverage of them changing it a few days later though. Shocker.

Having said that, the ICON is a really nice device. Modern hardware, feels great in the hand, basically the same size as the 928 but much better build quality and a solid 20 MP PureView camera with Qi wireless charging. It's the 1520 in a smaller, more mainstream package. Not sure if it'll be a smash hit, but for those who want it, they won't be disappointed.

Equivalent or better technology? What's there beyond a Snapdragon 800 for newer tech? How many pocketable phones have a 20 MP camera with good OIS? 32 GB of storage? Qi wireless charging? 1080P display in a 5 inch screen?

I've seen some FUD before, but your comment is either trolling or just plain ignorance about what hardware is actually on the market. Have you taken a photo with the GS4? ******* awful...

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't think Uncle Grandpa is factually wrong. HP may have had Windows 7 without break, but they're certainly renewing marketing around it. Of course, part of that is them looking for a scapegoat - Windows 8 isn't selling laptops, but I don't think it's hurting sales, either. People just have no need to upgrade their laptops as often as they used to, so sales are plummeting.

And Microsoft is absolutely gathering data on us. The difference, to me, is that Google knows so much about me. Microsoft does not. I'd rather numerous companies know a little bit about me rather than one company know more than my girlfriend does. So, Google, I will use your search and I will use your email but no way in hell am I using your browser or either of your operating systems. You need to work if you want to collect all those dots.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I don't think Uncle Grandpa is factually wrong. HP may have had Windows 7 without break, but they're certainly renewing marketing around it. Of course, part of that is them looking for a scapegoat - Windows 8 isn't selling laptops, but I don't think it's hurting sales, either. People just have no need to upgrade their laptops as often as they used to, so sales are plummeting.

And Microsoft is absolutely gathering data on us. The difference, to me, is that Google knows so much about me. Microsoft does not. I'd rather numerous companies know a little bit about me rather than one company know more than my girlfriend does. So, Google, I will use your search and I will use your email but no way in hell am I using your browser or either of your operating systems. You need to work if you want to collect all those dots.
HP had a one week focus on W7 devices on their site. Now it's gone. Not sure if that really means anything.

Sure, W8 devices aren't saving the industry. Doesn't mean people want W7 ones instead. Rather, it could also mean HP has a lot of W7 devices that they want to offload too? Just saying, the media made waaaay more out of that then what is probably true.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb