Scratched Up Screen After One Week

ShaunKL

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I've had my new Lumia 925 for a week and I'm so happy to be away from iTunes on Windows. I've used it the same as my caseless iPhone 5. In and out of pockets and very rare drops on the carpet. The thing is, little scratches have started to form on either side of the screen and I think they're getting deeper. I was almost okay with it but another scratch has formed in the middle of the screen as well. Doesn't the 925 have gorilla glass? Is this normal? I've had an iPhone 5 for a year and the screen is just as scratch-free as it was when I got it.
IMG_0788.JPG

ShaunKL

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
No screen protector. I think I had one on an Android phone from a few years ago. I don't think I noticed scratches before on my older phones because I normally never got any.

El-Macho

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't know about you guys..and maybe I'm just old-school (whatever that means) but screen protector + basic cover are priorities when buying a smartphone. Smartness is directly proportional to Fragility (even if someone says otherwise..I always follow this principle). You can't bring your phone to the real world until you equip it with some armor ;)
I just bought a Lumia 925. I use it only at home because cover/protector is not available in my country yet :(
It's a shame..but a necessary sacrifice for the greater good of my phone.
And I'm kinda new here so Hello everyone :D

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
What else besides your phone do you keep in your pockets that the screen would get so scratched up?? I normally carry my 920 in my bag and have never gotten scratches on it.

ShaunKL

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
What else besides your phone do you keep in your pockets that the screen would get so scratched up?? I normally carry my 920 in my bag and have never gotten scratches on it.
I don't believe I've carried it with anything else in my pocket. Perhaps once with a jacket pocket with some keys. I guess I wasn't expecting it to be so fragile given everyone claims Nokia makes indestructible phones.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe I've carried it with anything else in my pocket. Perhaps once with a jacket pocket with some keys. I guess I wasn't expecting it to be so fragile given everyone claims Nokia makes indestructible phones.

Maybe lint did the screen in(??). I would guess if it's constantly in the pocket, it's possible. It's a shame, though.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

Never put keys, coins, or any other metallic or sharp plastic in a container or pocket with your phone. It's asking for scratches, no matter what device you have.

vc-10

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I have found that my 925 hasn't held up anywhere near as well as my 800 did. Far more scratches, which are deeper, and more damage to the back than the 800 had. The aluminium also dents on the corners.

Hamberthm

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Hello. My N9 has the same micro-scratches. I Heard that it's not the actual Gorilla Glass scratching but the anti-glare or anti-fingerprint cover or something like that. This cover is the last one above the glass and is not as scratch-resisstant as the glass itself.

But don't worry, it won't get any worst. I also freaked out when I saw those on my phone but you'll notice they're not a major problem. Just take care of it and there you go. Don't overprotect your phone, i hate when people hide their phone designs completely under those ugly cases and screen protectors. I love the feel of the glass under my finger and how good it allows me to swipe, and the edges of the phone as the designers intended them to be. :)

ShaunKL

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Never put keys, coins, or any other metallic or sharp plastic in a container or pocket with your phone. It's asking for scratches, no matter what device you have.

Sorry for sounding like a broken record, I really do love and am sticking with my 925 but I carried my iPhone 5 in my pocket with all sorts of random things, including everything you just described. No scratches.

And thank you Hamberthm, I thought it was probably the coating over the glass. I am going to get a charging cover when I can, probably will look into glass protection as well.

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
read a while ago that they tested the hardness of the coating versus the gorilla glass, and concluded that the coating is actually more scratch resistant.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

You have obviously carried it with other items since pocket lint does not scratch. As the scratches are at different angles and depths, that would also suggest multiple items more than once. Sorry, but that is just a fact of life. FWIW, I have a 928 that is not treated with kid gloves and does not have a screen protector, and it has no scratches.

original.woodster

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Had my 925 since day one, a couple of minor dints on the top, maybe where I've walked in to a hard surface while its been in my pocket and there's a chip in the paint between the usb and audio out which im devastated about, but my phone only has the qi shell on and no screen protector and not even a scratch (touch wood) on the screen. You must be doing something wrong LOL

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
You know, you guys claiming you've had yours for months without scratches is a load of horse crap. All it takes is one spec of sand or gravel in your pocket, rubbed the wrong way, to put a nice deep scratch on the screen. No need to insult people's intelligence by saying "they must be doing it wrong". You could take keys, knives, and coins to the screen all day and leave it in perfect condition.

if your hands were dirty or gritty from working on the car or gardening and you put them in your pocket to pull out a tissue, washed your pants the same night, then placed your phone in that same empty pocket, there's still a chance some residue might still be in there to scratch your phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon