Just upgraded from 920 to 1020. Questions about camera

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
First thing I noticed is that the yellow tint is WAY more on the 1020 than on my 920. After a few Nokia Camera updates, the tint issue wasn't bothering me on the 920. But hopefully the 1020 will be addressed with Black.

Second, maybe I'm not using the camera right, but when comparing indoor pictures of my 920 and 1020, I tried taking a picture of text on the other side of the room (ISO 400, 1/7 ss) on both. I could definitely get more zoom, but the text was not significantly more legible. Any tips?

Thanks!

edit: Also, noticed the 1020 uses a mechanical shutter? Is there a lifespan for it? On normal cameras, you have to take apart the camera to change it, but I hope this isn't an achilles heel for the wear on the 1020 camera.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
First thing I noticed is that the yellow tint is WAY more on the 1020 than on my 920. After a few Nokia Camera updates, the tint issue wasn't bothering me on the 920. But hopefully the 1020 will be addressed with Black.

Second, maybe I'm not using the camera right, but when comparing indoor pictures of my 920 and 1020, I tried taking a picture of text on the other side of the room (ISO 400, 1/7 ss) on both. I could definitely get more zoom, but the text was not significantly more legible. Any tips?

Thanks!

edit: Also, noticed the 1020 uses a mechanical shutter? Is there a lifespan for it? On normal cameras, you have to take apart the camera to change it, but I hope this isn't an achilles heel for the wear on the 1020 camera.

- i think the tint is because the phone applies a different White balance from the one you see before taking the picture. My solution is to do white balance manually, which forces the phone to use the correct white balance.
- it's as much as what you can get i think.
- well, i don't know about the lifespan of the mechanical shutter.

eortizr

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
*Yellow tint will be hopefully fix with the new Black Firmware. Right now there is no solution to get it right the first time, so if it is for a quick shot it will be Yellow, if not then you can try different WB settings using Pro Camera and/or shutter speeds to alleviate the issue.

*The Zoom-after 'feature' of the Lumia 1020 is a gimmik it is not really all that usable as you just saw. The only time I get a decent zoom-after is when outside with a lot of natural light. And maybe is just me but I prefer the 5mb over sampled image to the 38mp, it just look better. (when viewed on a PC)

*As for the mechanical shutter, well, there isn't really nothing that can be done about it, it is necessary since the 1020 has a Xenon Flash, so we hope Nokia did a good job into the mechanics to make last.

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Well iam using 1020 since a month...and even have 808 pv even that has a mechanical shutter wic works fine. As for yellow tint after I got nokia camera update it has become less . And I adjust wb to get natural color.thou iam loving my lumia 1020 :) with gdr 3 and nokia black we will get raw pics aswell. As the image processing will be back to 808 pv style

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the responses! Also, when I shake the device, I can hear the rattling of the bearings which i could not hear on the 920. Different mechanics probably. Only thing I'm worried about is durability. Do I have to be extra careful handling the device as to not induce a lot of shake in the device? Sorry! Sounds like paranoia, but it feels so precious when I hold it!

mmohn01

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the responses! Also, when I shake the device, I can hear the rattling of the bearings which i could not hear on the 920. Different mechanics probably. Only thing I'm worried about is durability. Do I have to be extra careful handling the device as to not induce a lot of shake in the device? Sorry! Sounds like paranoia, but it feels so precious when I hold it!

I believe the noise you hear is the physical image stabilizer.

As far as durability, I've dropped mine probably 4-5 times with the clear poetic case, and the camera still works like new.

Del Rei

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
The WB.... I don't know why people try to say that the problem with the camera have any connection to the WB. No matter what setup you use in WB, after processing the image, it will get kind of yellow/green. With different setups of WB it may be more or less yellow/green after processing the image, but will have the original color changed anyway. It's a update problem, not a config problem.

And we're not even talking about the losing focus after processing. It is much more severe for me. The color you can adjust with apps. Bad focus, no. Setup the camera to see the image after taking it. You will see the difference after processing.

mmohn01

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
WP_20131126_19_17_55_Pro.jpg I do Heating and Air conditioning sales for Sears, and I have to take a lot of indoor pics of customer's existing equipment. Here is one of the pics I took with the WB changed to indoor lighting (light bulb). The yellowing that shows up when the WB is set to auto is pretty much gone.

casla

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I just made the upgrade from the 920 to the 1020 today and I can say that so far I am quite disappointed with the quality of the photos. The yellow tint is quite bad on the test shots I have taken so far. From a point and click perspective using the regular camera app not the camera pro the quality on the 920 is much better. The photos from the 1020 are blurry while with the 920 on the exact same settings are much crisper. I hate to say it but I am starting to wonder if I have made a mistake in upgrading.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I just made the upgrade from the 920 to the 1020 today and I can say that so far I am quite disappointed with the quality of the photos. The yellow tint is quite bad on the test shots I have taken so far. From a point and click perspective using the regular camera app not the camera pro the quality on the 920 is much better. The photos from the 1020 are blurry while with the 920 on the exact same settings are much crisper. I hate to say it but I am starting to wonder if I have made a mistake in upgrading.

The 1020 only takes 5mp photos when you're in the regular camera app. But I agree, even in the 38mp mode, zooming from 5->38 does not add anymore detail, just blurriness. I wonder if there is some variation in build quality between 1020 cameras. Either that, or the camera is unfortunately not a HUGE upgrade over the 920. Another hope is the Black will make the pictures sharper, but I doubt that much can be achieved in a software update. In any case, if anyone has a 920 still thinking about upgrading to the 1020, wait for the next pureview flagship!

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
When deciding on a phone the Lumia cameras are not good enough to make it a major factor in your decision. If fact, the iPhone 5 camera is more usable to the average cellphone user. Every high end Lumia camera has processing problems,yet Nokia continues to overhype their devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett