Nokia 929 Battery size

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I guess the back cover must not be all that hard to get off, kind of making the battery somewhat easy to replace, assuming the part hits the market.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
There most likely won't be.

when an intl version will be available?

There WILL BE a international version. Seriously, saying here that there probably wont be one makes ZERO sense. If it wouldnt have an international version it would be the first from NOKIA to release something only in the US. Nokia with WP has way more traction in the EU and other markets than in the US, so leaving these out would make 0 sense on a product like this. This is the next generation 92x phone, which has to be considered the biggest seller from the high end devices.

There will be an international version that I could make a bet on. And Im saying this without having any "inside information". Its just common and business sense that I have.

Last edited:

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
There WILL BE a international version. Seriously, saying here that there probably wont be one makes ZERO sense. If it wouldnt have an international version it would be the first from NOKIA to release something only in the US. Nokia with WP has way more traction in the EU and other markets than in the US, so leaving these out would make 0 sense on a product like this. This is the next generation 92x phone, which has to be considered the biggest seller from the high end devices.

There will be an international version that I could make a bet on. And Im saying this without having any "inside information". Its just common and business sense that I have.

I wouldn't say this is a phone that will be used internationally. All leaks have included Verizon's branding so far. Of course, I'm not basing this off of anything scientific, either. And I totally understand the business sense of things, but it's more likely you'll see an all new phone with a 5 inch screen, more colors, and the iconic Nokia shape with updated internals in the Spring or Summer to be released internationally.

I'm getting the vibe that this phone will be much like the Lumia 928. While not a complete port of the 920, with the first Nokia Lumia to use a xenon flash and a different casing, it was only a slight variation of what already exists. The same can be said for the 929. It's a slight variation of what is already available, just for Verizon instead of everyone. The only difference being that the screen will be closer to 5 inches, instead of 4.5 or 6 inches like other popular Lumia devices right now in the similar price range.

In a nutshell, it's very possible a phone like this will be released internationally, but the 929 itself doesn't look like it will, at least not right away. It's got key features of a Verizon phone. They took away colors and they took away the shape. Plus, Verizon made sure you didn't forget which carrier the phone is using by stamping their logo every few centimeters (ugh!).

And again, I said there probably won't be an international version. I'm not trying to tell everyone that I'm absolutely certain. My opinion is that it doesn't look likely. Not in this form. We'll absolutely see more 5 inch phones from Nokia in the future that will be released internationally.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah probably it will not be identical on the outside, but it will be the same phone. 920 and 925 are at least available internationally, but what about 928? Is there a Tmobile version in the uk that has the european bands?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The little elfs...

I used to hang out at another forum that was oriented around an MLB team. We would use different font colors for different intentions with our text. It helped us avoid a lot of the confusion and miscommunication that can often be had through text conversations.

For example:
When we were being sarcastic, we would type in teal.

When we were being optimistic or hopeful with our statements, we would type in pink.

It really goes a long way on forums.

puttlikezach

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Hello! Newbie to the WP world - not there yet, actually...but hoping to make the switch. My 2 main issues with phones are battery life and camera quality. Currently have HTC One and while the camera is okay, I'd like better. Pretty sure the 929 will solve that issue. Other problem is the battery is atrocious...yet IIRC I think it's using a 2300 mAh. So question is are all same spec'd batteries created equal? Sounds like the 929 will have a slightly bigger battery (10%, maybe) but does the actual performance of the phone dictate how much they draw from the battery? Any insight on that would be helpful. Thanks.

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Hello! Newbie to the WP world - not there yet, actually...but hoping to make the switch. My 2 main issues with phones are battery life and camera quality. Currently have HTC One and while the camera is okay, I'd like better. Pretty sure the 929 will solve that issue. Other problem is the battery is atrocious...yet IIRC I think it's using a 2300 mAh. So question is are all same spec'd batteries created equal? Sounds like the 929 will have a slightly bigger battery (10%, maybe) but does the actual performance of the phone dictate how much they draw from the battery? Any insight on that would be helpful. Thanks.

While not an expert by any means on the matter (if anyone else has anything to add or correct in my post, please do!), I would say that battery performance will vary if the phone specs vary. For example, if a phone has a 4 inch screen and a 2500 mAh battery, and another phone has a 5 inch screen and a 2600 mAh battery, you may expect the 5 inch phone battery life may last just as long, despite a bigger battery, because it has to use more battery to display a larger screen.

But of course that's not the only variable. There are a bunch of things involved that make a difference. I was just creating a simple example.

But yeah, while the 929 is looking like it will have a 2510 mAh battery, you probably won't see a massive difference compared to your HTC One's battery life. But like I said, there may be other factors that make the 929 more efficient, or maybe the complete opposite! So we probably won't know for sure until reviews come out, or someone gets their hands on the phone for a few days to test how well it performs on normal usage on an average day.

INCREMENTAL

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
The biggest thing is how efficient the processor is. The snapdragon 800 is very efficient, more efficient then older processors. Thank in the same way as cars today vs cars in the 80s that had the same size engines but carburetors instead of injectors. The newer cars are just more fuel-efficient.

But like Dustin stated you probably won't notice a big difference between the HTC one and the 929. The 929 has the newer processor but the 600 is still good and HTC has incredible standby time.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using WPCentral Forums mobile app

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Power is mainly impacted by 1) the display, 2) the CPU, 3) the cellular radio, and 4) the OS. Newer displays tend to be more efficient per inch than older displays, so I would guess the displays on both phones would use similar power.The second is the CPU. The lower the voltage a CPU can run at, the longer it can stay at low clock speed and still get the work needed done, the deeper the standby state, and the lower the overall leakage current on the gates of the particular design/process the less power will be used. The 800 is likely more power efficient in terms of wattage/unit of work done. The Snapdragon 800 is on the newer 28nm HPm process at TSMC (the Snapdragon 600 is on the older 28nm LP process), so the amount of power both CPU's is probably around the same under most conditions, despite the names of the processes involved. The LTE radio on the 800 is a newer, more efficient one than the 600, and you can bet that this impacts your battery life when using any data. The advances in these LTE radios have brought about significant power improvements the past 2 years.

Finally, the OS is another key difference. Android, under real world use, tends to use more power than WP, mostly because there tend to be a lot more background processes running, especially when a user starts loading up on widgets. Overall, if I had to guess, I would say the 929 would probably get a lot more standby time, and probably somewhere between a half hour to an hour more talk time and similar for data. This phone should easily last through a day of moderate use. Proof will be in the pudding.

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
@falconrap As a current non-WP user, do you think live tiles drain battery like Android widgets? Or possibly less/more depending how many are running? I haven't been able to test. I've been told live tiles use more data on my data plan, but never heard about how it affects battery. Just something I thought of while reading these battery posts.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
do you think live tiles drain battery like Android widgets?
Tiles can be updated in two ways: 1) new data pushed by a server or 2) a "periodic task" that updates the tile locally.

The first method uses virtually no power on the phone as the OS just has to respond to a small data push from the server. Although a server could send such updates at a really high frequency, using more battery power, most don't. (The push server for our university portal app sends updates when new grades are posted at the end of an academic term and on a few other conditions -- that works out to about 16 push notifications a year.)

The second method is the more common way of updating tiles because everything can be self-contained in the app doing the update (i.e., no server needed). These "periodic tasks" are run by the OS approximately every 30 minutes. The app cannot request more (or less) frequent updates -- 48 times a day is the only option. When the task is run, it must finish within 25 seconds and must not use more than about 20MB of memory.

As such, Live Tiles can't use much power because they run for less than 2% of the time and use less than 2% of memory. Of course, a skilled programmer can write an Android widget that uses less than that, but it's also possible to write one that uses substantially more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)