'Force' Maps and OS Updates over 3G

MC920

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I dont currently have access to Wifi, but I do have unlimted fast 3G (via Three Network in the UK - I get about 10Mbps download speed).

I want to install the offline maps for the UK, and also the Amber update but the phone tells me 'Maps are too big to download over cellular data, please connect to WIFI and try again' (not exact wording).

How can I over-ride this?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
After a quick search on the Nokia forums the answer appears to be no. I would recommend heading to a cafe or McDonald's where there is free WiFi and download it there. If the connection is good it doesn't take that long. Just make sure your phone is fully charged.

Pratham Sarwate

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
can't you get another phone to offer you WiFi hotspot? i dunno about carrier locked phones. but i did offer my friend WiFi with my 925's data plan for her 520's update.

muvig

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I think it must be the choice of the user to use WiFi or Cellular data, why force me to use WiFi only, it must come as a warning only, MS must remove this restriction.

MC920

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
can't you get another phone to offer you WiFi hotspot? i dunno about carrier locked phones. but i did offer my friend WiFi with my 925's data plan for her 520's update.

Yeah I think this will work! Good idea!

I can understand the restriction but it should be optional - I just did a test and getting 16mpbs download (its HSPA+) so I should be able to use it if I choose to!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs