1020 now or wait for flagship 8.1 devices

Paritosh Rai

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

I have been using a Nokia Lumia 800 since the May of last year which I duly upgraded to WP7.8. Still, I have been missing out on the really cool and improved features of WP8. I am really tempted by the 1020 - I am getting a very decent deal here in India, where I can upgrade to 1020 by giving back the 800 to Nokia in exchange for some cool discounts. My dilemma is whether it's worth the money in terms of the camera - I was earlier planning to upgrade my point and shoot, but then decided it might be a better idea to upgrade the 800 and get an all-in-one device, the 1020 - or should I wait for 8.1 to come out and for OEMs to announce the next flagships.

If you guys could help me make the decision, I'd be very grateful. Tell me about your experiences, using the phone and especially the camera. Thanks!

P.S. - How bad does a yellow 1020 look in a guy's hand?:winktongue:

Jakez98

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I got the yellow 1020 on launch day. The camera is already awesome as it is, and thinking about the improvement that will come with the Lumia Black update, the RAW support is going to be even better! Bluetooth LE will also come in the next update, along with GDR3 and WP8.1 next year.

Glance screen has always worked best with AMOLED screens in my opinion, so this makes the 1020 even better with the Glance screen.

caesar500

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I would wait if you can. I have had a lot of issues with the 1020, which may stem from its early release of gdr2. I'm writing this from my 3rd 1020 in 5 weeks. Hopefully, gdr3 will resolve my device's issues.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I'm biased as I have a 1020 but I would get one now. There's no guarantee what Nokia will produce as their next flagship will actually be better, especially if they're under Microsoft's control by the time its released. So far the 1520 doesn't seem to have as much of a performance advantage as its specs would suggest, and the 1020 camera is definitely better. So it depends, but I don't see any reason to not get the 1020 now, especially if you're getting a good deal on it. You could always sell it later if something does come out that is actually discernibly better. Also have had no issues with my Rogers 1020, works as smooth as silk.

Jakez98

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. Because I haven't had any hardware issues with the 1020 at all.

But I did encountered a bug with Xbox Music that did not exist in WP7.8. Sometimes when you play a song, you'll get the message that an error is encountered when playing the file. But when you tapped play once more, the file will play with no problem. Could be a WP8 issue.

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I have a 1020, and I would definitely wait until the new 8.1 models are out. The 1020 camera while good, it's not that much better than any other high end phone camera. If the new 8.1 WP don't meet expectations WP is doomed and you'll be better off with another OS. Nokia and WP know what's at stake, and they'll release what they believe to be game changing WP devices for 2014. I hope!

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
The 1020 is pretty amazing. Its funny how people say the camera is not so much better than another leading camera phone. No other camera phone comes close...except for the 808.

Anyway man, remember you will get 8.1 just like any other WP user.

anon(8141431)

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
i suggest you get the 1020.. or if you have money, just wait for the 1520 to launch in india (if you're living here)
i am assuming both these phones will be able to upgrade to 8.1 . But 8.1 will not be revealed for at-least the next 6 months.
So if you want an 8.1 device.. i think you will need to wait more..

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Same situation as the 920... wait.

That camera module needs a more potent SoC .. like Snap 800 or 805. It also needs a slightly bigger battery.

The mobile world congress in Barcelona is in February where they will unveil new stuff running 8.1 .. so at least wait until then, if they don't announce an upgraded flagship .. then get the 1020.

Paritosh Rai

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys for sharing your experiences and opinions! The sales guy at the NOKIA Priority Store gave me a demo of the 1020 camera and I found the zoom really amazing. Also, from what I read on the reviews of the 1520 (which has a S800 on board) the performance improvements on the camera lag are very minimal - correct me if I am wrong here. So the only thing that is left to consider is the battery life. A 2000mAh sounds decent on paper, but how has it been for you guys? I am getting a Samsung 5200mAh portable battery USB battery bank as a part of the deal btw.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Correct me if I heard wrong, but I thought the 1020 had a special co-processor for the huge pictures; if that's the case, then it doesn't really matter what snapdragon you have, so the 1520 wouldn't necessarily be any faster at that. Now if the 1030 came with a faster image processor, that would make a difference though.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
If you are exchanging it for you Lumia 800, then go for it, because your Lumia 800 wont hold its remaining value any longer. in addition, waiting will never get you anywhere, you will be waiting for the next 8.5 flagship pretty soon.

Paritosh Rai

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Going for the 1020 guys! Last 2 questions:-
1.) How do I make sure that I don't lose my message threads/data on the 800 when moving to the 1020?
2.) Yellow or black? :winktongue:

Paritosh Rai

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Flagship is the numero uno or 'Hero' phone from any OEM for a platform. It has the best and latest specs and comes with all the bells and whistles. Example:- in the Android world, the HTC One, LG G2 and Samsung Galaxy S4/NOTE 3 are the flagship models from the respective manufacturers. In WP, currently it's the 1520/1020/9xx series from Nokia, Ativ from Samsung and 8X from HTC which can be called the flagship models .

Pratham Sarwate

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
don't go for 1020.
you will again be in the same position where you were with lumia 800 in last may and new devices being launched as early as as september and being available by november.
1020 has a good camera. but is slow in taking photos. other that than, it's chipset is old, and not very futureproof.
it's pretty costly in india. and definitely not worth it.
if you really wanna buy a GDR2 device, get a 920/925 instead.
i strongly recommend you wait a little, instead of rushing with a new phone and then regretting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea