darth_furious

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I know this is a pointless discussion at this point and we have to wait til next year when more pma phones come out, but what are your thoughts on pma vs qi as of now? I think qi has a good headstart but it can easily go either way. I personally invested a lot in qi (over $100). And would like to keep all my stuff but I wonder if it would be better to switch to pma when deals come out
Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Board Express

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Heck if I understand the difference, advantages, or disadvantages between the 2. I will say this: It is a convienience at this point, not a deal maker/breaker in any device out there. There has been no real rush from consumers to start utilizing these standards.

I wonder if we may still be a couple or maybe even 3 years away from it taking off.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I support Qi right now because its a STANDARD. its more widely adopted, more of a standard.

PMA has not shown to me what benefits if any, it offers over Qi and ATT's neutering of the 1520 has not helped their reputation in my books. (at least I haven't heard of any yet)

honestly I think we could go without another format war.
Worst comes to worst, (e.g. PMA gains traction) MS/Nokia could probably take advantage of the use of shells to allow swapping. or better yet, companies make coils compatible with both standards, thatd be really nice.

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
From what I've seen, which isn't a whole lot, the PMA cover from Incipio (Wireless Charging Cover for Nokia Lumia 1520 | Incipio Wireless Charging Case | Incipio) is a lot thicker than the 1020 Qi cover from Nokia (http://www.phoneseven.de/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Wireless-Charge-Back-cc-3066-inside.jpg). I've not seen an actual PMA coil next to a Qi coil so it may just be Incipios manufacturing.

This. I took one look at the cover and how much bulk it adds to the back (check around the camera lens in the photos) and knew I would not be getting it. I like wireless charging, but not when it adds THAT much bulk.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
The Incipio PMA case weighs 17x what the built-in Qi charging loop does. :wink: But seriously, the PMA case is heavy at 50g. I estimate the weight of an imaginary Nokia Qi cover for the 1520 at 28g. (That's 19g for the plastic of the 1020's charging cover multiplied by 132% since the surface area of the 1520 is 32% larger than that of the 1020 plus 3g for the Qi loop -- I got that 3g number from the difference in weight between the AT&T and international 1520s, which is only 3g.)

AT&T could have avoided a lot of customer angst (and unnecessary math above!) if they had asked Nokia to make a 1520 with a built-in Qi loop AND the external contacts for snap-on charging accessories and docks. I, for one, can begrudgingly accept the loss of 16gb of built-in storage (which can be ameliorated with an SD card), but not the loss of Qi since I have charging pads in several location. Oh, well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire