Poor low light HD videos

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
A tweet off Nokia said to hold the power button for 10seconds to see if it helps, unsure what they mean as my phone comes in the morning.

that is weird. This does nothing... Lol. I mean, after ~3 seconds you get the option to power it down. I don't see how powering down could make any difference whatsoever.

I guess that's troubleshooting 101 though...

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
I think they were trying to get me to do a soft reset or something, but thats not the issue, the problem is poorly optimised software for low light videos, they need to fix it and update.

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Just seeing if anyone has got in touch with Nokia about the poor low light videos....the noise! the more that do then the faster they will look into it. Thanks

Hawkhe

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
My Note 3 outperforms my 1520 in every way including camera from videos to pictures. The 4 microphone sound does not seem to make a difference. The Note 3 also takes way better pictures of things in motion. I hope this is a software issue, because that was one of the main reasons I got the phone.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
The 4 microphone sound does not seem to make a difference.

It does if you have real headphones or speakers. The audio capability is unmatched by any other phone, period. I believe you can even switch on and off the directional-ness, as well as high pass filters. And don't forget it's HAAC.

But I digress - this thread was about video noise (not audio).

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Yep one of the main things I moved from Android (Galaxy fan for years) was the camera history with Nokia, and when I saw big phone, great spec, nice camera....I jumped ship, and I can say if no fix happens in the next month or so I will go back to Android and never return lol
Whats worse is I got a message off tech support saying that I was the first person to mention the poor performance of the camera/videos.....more people need to speak to them or nothing will happen.

husslord

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
My Note 3 outperforms my 1520 in every way including camera from videos to pictures. The 4 microphone sound does not seem to make a difference. The Note 3 also takes way better pictures of things in motion. I hope this is a software issue, because that was one of the main reasons I got the phone.

really?? In all fairness I disagree. I retuned the note 3 over the horrid camera and the annoying hissing sounds it made during my videos...maybe mine was a defect, who knows even pocketnow was pretty livid on that part of the note 3, they thought Samsung could have stepped it up. I think Nokia should be able to do a little bit of a software fix but I'm not holding my breath. Even my 1020 still has little issues that drive me nuts..
Can't have everything I guess :(

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Its funny because I have been with Samsung for years, but now and then I saw an advert showing off how good Nokia phones were with videos and photos, and every time I thought I might make the change I would see the poor cpu/screen specs and end up sticking with Sammy.
Then I see this one, great specs in all areas, so I thought this would be it, power and great photos/videos..........my face is in my palms....gutted lol They nail the thing they have been behind on for years and then mess the thing up they always get praise for.
Better get an update out for the camera and the other little issues or its back to Sammy for me.

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Well, finally recorded some low light videos of my own. First thing I thought to myself as I watched them: "I have to find the 'Poor low light HD videos' thread and post how much I agree with how bad the performance is." Hopefully this is fixed soon. My L920 videos were infinitely better than these, sigh.

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Did anyone speak to Nokia? what did you hear back off them? finding more people on other sites now starting to complain....but unsure if we are all passing this on to Nokia :)

Kissanviikset

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I just watched one of my test video on my TV and it didn't look so bad. From my computer screen it looks worse. I personally value more smooth playback and steady video over noise free quality.

I guess it is more off hardware related than software. 2.4f aperture combined to small pixels. If you compare those to i.e Lumia 920 which have 2.0f aperture and larger pixels there is big difference. If they tweak software to use lower ISO setting we end up having quite dark videos. I wonder if there is much to do on software side.

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Well I hope its a case of rushed software, this is not close to what I call high end, more so because this is Nokia, home to the all mighty phone camera....or so I thought.
Should it be this is the norm, well then this will be my 1st Nokia and last.
I knew something was up when my wife (god bless her lack of tech knowledge) watched a video we shot indoors and said "why is the picture so crap, your Samsung is much better"

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I already went over this. Based on the information available to me, the 1520 should be BETTER than the 920, not worse, and not just the same. The sensor has quite a bit more area on it.

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Yeah keen to hear this myself, hear the touch thing is fixed....but might want to hold off on that until more tried it.

As for camera????

mitsuyager9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Two of my friends (married couple) just got note 3's and they said they are really disappointed with their cameras. They said its ok if you hold perfectly still, but if not the pictures turn out blurry. They showed me some examples and its definitely wasn't great. I came from a 920 and the night shots are better than my 1520, but other than that the 1520 is great. I smell a troll

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Few more showing 1520 issue...wait for the low light/night

Sony Xperia Z1 vs Nokia Lumia 1520: сравнение камер (camera comparison) - YouTube

This is another vs, and yes the photos is a win for the 1520 but wait until you see videos near the end....the night ones lol (dont know why I laugh as I am really not happy with how crap it is in low light)

Nokia Lumia 1520 vs iPhone 5S Camera Comparison Using Canon 6D as Reference - YouTube

I hope they get this on par with other phones at the very least.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos