Poor low light HD videos

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Users who own international version of Lumia 1520, which has inbuilt wireless charging, also experiencing this issue, or is it limited to only 1520 with AT&T edition?

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if that affects camera? but anyway this is problem for all 1520 all over the world, its poor software that needs optimized....or so we hope.

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Nokia will not do that. It also spoiled lumia 1020 low light recording with black update. It is because Nokia wants us to give equal importance to lumia 1020 too. Nokia want to sell as many camera-centric high end Nokia Lumia phones before Microsoft comes out with phones having simply LUMIA branding | Nokia thinks us that we are fool | We must get whatever they throw in the market | Trust them that they will fix their purposely committed spelling mistakes in their algorithms with future updates and install...

HyperMatrix

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
This is pretty damning. Samsung Galaxy Note 3 vs. Nokia Lumia 1520: Bigger, better, faster - GSMArena.com

Even in daylight there is no comparison.

Going to disagree on your comment regarding the daytime pics. What you're looking at is different filters applied to the jpeg. Not a better image. The Note 3's pictures are over-sharpened. Sharpening can be done to any photo after the fact. But you can't remove it. As the Note 3 does not give you the option of a DNG file, this is troublesome. So they apply extra effects to the jpeg file, which makes it look fake, and will not always have the desired effect. While with your Lumia's DNG files, you can edit it in Lightroom afterwards.

immyperez

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Coming from a 920...video on the 1020 really sucks! I hate the mechanical OIS that plays catch up after you've stopped moving! Wish I kept my 920 for videos!!!

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Going to disagree on your comment regarding the daytime pics. What you're looking at is different filters applied to the jpeg. Not a better image. The Note 3's pictures are over-sharpened. Sharpening can be done to any photo after the fact. But you can't remove it. As the Note 3 does not give you the option of a DNG file, this is troublesome. So they apply extra effects to the jpeg file, which makes it look fake, and will not always have the desired effect. While with your Lumia's DNG files, you can edit it in Lightroom afterwards.

I thought I linked to the video page. My comment (and this thread) refers to video.

BDBDBD

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm also upgrading from a 920 and I must say the biggest disappointment is the camera on the 1520 for both indoor pictures and video. Photos and videos come out grainy on the 1520 while on the 920 they are great.

I think the essence of the problem is the construction of the cameras themselves. The 920 has an f2 aperture (camera opening) while the 1520 has a narrower f2.4 aperture (allowing less light in).

I hope a future update can improve things but not sure how much software can overcome a hardware issue.

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
The 1520 should be better. The aperture difference is 25% less light, but with a 43% larger sensor, the enlargement ratio is smaller, which leads to cleaner images.

GF Wong

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I may as well quote Stephen Elop's "It's an embarrassing device" when it comes to videos. I dare not share or show my videos to my friend because of the sub-par quality. I have been a long time Nokia user and have always trusted their great camera phones (from N8, 808, 920) but this is really embarrassing.

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
I will give it a bit longer before I give up on Nokia trying to help with the performance in videos, will move on to a phone/company that can......such a shame.

Ian Hanson

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
I found another very good review of this phone's camera capabilities on DP Review.com, a reputable digital photography website, that did a very thorough review. From their samples, I'd say the low-light video quality is exactly what I would expect from the device. No, you're not going to be able to get no noise with horrendous lighting conditions (ie. walking around in a pitch black night) but if you've got some light to work with, the sensor does an admirable job at picking it up. See for yourselves in the samples they post!

Here's the review - Video: Nokia Lumia 1520 camera review: Connect

Sample 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL9qXRXe37E

Sample 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryzeL73yfro

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium