Daughter wants 1020, need facebook advice...

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Hey gang!!

My daughter is seriously looking at the L1020 as an option when we upgrade in the next few weeks. She is the typical 20-something young lady... she posts tons to Facebook and uses it to keep track of friends more then texting/calling/ or any other way. She has a Samsung Captivate Glide right now, and I am a little worried about the Facebook intereface on WP. Basically, I use facebook like once a month, and I am not a photo nut. So, do any of you use the 1020 to upload to Facebook or other social networks often? What is the experince like? Is our WP8 app (I am still on WP7) better, or at least close in quality & features to Android?

This is a deal killer for her, and I want her happy. Any experiences are appreciated.

euichii

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
The Facebook app for wp8 is not that bad anymore, specially the beta version which is updated almost every week. Also the L1020 is a monster of a phone in terms of picture quality so she will not be ashamed of the pictures it will take.

quachhanthanh

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Except the notification isn't stable, Facebook on WP8 almost works well like android app or ios app.
About Facebook message, she can chat in the message app of Lumia. It s very fast and awesome.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Ultimateone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Except the notification isn't stable, Facebook on WP8 almost works well like android app or ios app.
About Facebook message, she can chat in the message app of Lumia. It s very fast and awesome.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
Toasts are perfect now in the beta.

And in the beta, you can pin the messenger app out of Facebook

mmohn01

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
She will be thrilled with this phone then. The battery is much better than the Captivate, and the recent improvements to Facebook make it that much better.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Digging it....

Thanks gang. She loves taking photos, she is very "artsy". Her dream is to own her own coffee shop with an art gallery above to let other artist show their stuff. Her biggest complaint is never having a "nice" point and shoot when she needs it. She brought the L1020 up to me!!

Any suggestions on settings or tricks to make her Facebook experience better will move one more L1020 off the shelves, I can feel it...

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
The official facebook by microsoft is building fast and the experience is a whole lot better than it use to be. I use JDB Facebook which I like more than the official facebook. I also used the integrated facebook a whole lot when I am posting photos. I use to run android but I like the WP experience better. If your daughter is 20 something that means she is about my age and facebook and social apps are important and I do think the WP capture this equally if not better than Android.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I didn't get a chance to read every comment, but you can upload your picture or video from your phone through the built-in Facebook. For that, you don't need the app.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I actually prefer FB on WP compared to my Android. I hated the Android app so much I preferred looking at my FB account using the mobile browser. Now I check it regularly on the WP. IMHO any Nokia phone has a better camera than most Android handsets especially better than the Samsung Captivate. Cheers!

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
925 is better. The camera of 1020 is too big and you dont need it

Okay... that is the first time I have heard that. The L1020's camera is "too big"? As in physically, so it is uncomfortable to use/hold? Or do you think the camera is "too big" in some way to capture normal, everyday photos?

I am sure the L925 is a good camera, but is that experience really better then the L1020, in your opinion?

I am gosh darn curious now..... a sucker HAS to know.

markyjns

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Given what you mentioned regarding your daughters photography tastes, the 1020 really is the way to go, the manual capabilities are impressive and will appeal to her creative nature. In terms if size, yes it's bigger but don't let that put you off at all, it really is not a concern I've heard anyone mention especially if they appreciate photography

LewLew23

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Digging it....

Thanks gang. She loves taking photos, she is very "artsy". Her dream is to own her own coffee shop with an art gallery above to let other artist show their stuff. Her biggest complaint is never having a "nice" point and shoot when she needs it. She brought the L1020 up to me!!

Any suggestions on settings or tricks to make her Facebook experience better will move one more L1020 off the shelves, I can feel it...

This is actually almost the same reason I bought the 1020. Even though I have my Z10 as a phone, I always complained that I never had a "good" camera with me when I'm out, as I love taking pictures (especially in NY, there are some nice shots). If it helps, I'm also a 20-something year old guy, so the age similarity might make our mindset similar as well. All I can say is that I never use my Z10 to take pictures anymore, the 1020 was exactly what I needed. And FB works well also!

Oh also, I have the camera grip always attached to my 1020 since I use it more like a camera. But I find that it's not too bulky with it on, and it actually doubles as a stand. Plus the battery life with it is phenomenal :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon