Daughter wants 1020, need facebook advice...

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I frequently post photos from my 920 to Facebook (did the same when I used my 810). I have the Facebook Beta app and it's pretty good. I have no issues with it whatsoever. I would say posting from WP8 is just as easy as doing so from my old iPhone 4. Actually, it's even better because it's faster and the photos are much better quality. So, snowmutt, your daughter shouldn't have any problem Facebooking on her future 1020. :wink:

demonntl

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
if you want FB for any other social stub, go with android.
WP cant beat Android at this moment, as i am keeping both my 1020 and my optimus G.

SB5

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Yeah FB beta app is really good now, I used to use the web browser before the latest update but now its all in with the app. Also I think uploading through the built in sharing function is also easier and faster way to put the pictures on facebook. Btw make sure she gets the Beta app not just the regular one, because that one to me is ages behind due to unstable notifications etc.

JonnieLasVegas

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
My daughter is 19 & hates the Facebook beta app for her windows phone (1020). If your daughter is a Facebook power user, DO NOT let her get a windows phone. My daughter complains about all the social apps and all their shortcomings everday, all day.

So if you're daughter is heavily invested into Facebook and other social apps, point her in another direction. You don't want her to trash the OS to all of her friends, like my daughter does.

I'm not saying anything that my kids and their friends wouldn't tell you. Anybody over 30 will think they know what they're talking about when it comes to this situation, but they don't. And sadly most don't realize it.

Last edited:

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
My daughter is 19 & hates the Facebook app for her windows phone (1020). If your daughter is a Facebook power user, DO NOT let her get a windows phone. My daughter complains about all the social apps and all their shortcomings everday, all day.

So if you're daughter is heavily invested into Facebook and other social apps, point her in another direction. You don't want her to trash the OS to all of her friends, like my daughter does.

I'm not saying anything that my kids and their friends wouldn't tell you. Anybody over 30 will think they know what they're talking about when it comes to this situation, but they don't. And sadly most don't realize it.

Tell her about the Facebook beta link. Way better

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Toasts are perfect now in the beta.

And in the beta, you can pin the messenger app out of Facebook

Toast notifications work perfect now. but i turned the messenger notifications off, sense we WP users have it built in, that way you wont get two notifications for the same messege. (although the Faceebook app gets the notification first - chat is late about 20 sec)

Phone Guy 4567

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
At the end of the day I think it boils down to how important the camera is to her IMO. The 1020 will let her use Facebook but functionality isn't the only thing people consider when picking a phone, it's also what their group of friends use even though they probably won't admit it. The 1020 is a good phone choice as long as she's willing to accept Windows Phone isn't as popular as Android & iOS and may require the use of 3rd party non official apps, and cause negative comments from some of her friends regarding her phone choice.

Dave Bhullar

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
925 is better. The camera of 1020 is too big and you dont need it
Not really, I have a 925 and it doesn't take too long to fill the 16gb memory with apps and pictures etc. That is the biggest disadvantage. I'm actually considering about upgrading because of low storage space.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
i think she'll be happier with android. there are currently no disadvantages with android except lags and stutters on cheap droid. i'd advise getting an s4, disable all the google services(to free up ram) and you should be good to go. if shes a night life person then 1020 camera is better. otherwise its s4. one of the best smartphones today :) . plus it comes with expandable storage(microsd) and droid has file manager support so she could copy/rename files on the go. OTG is also available for usb flash drive connectivity. So please think carefully :)

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah she was using the Facebook beta when she was saying these things. For the younger, social heavy crowd, WP just doesn't cut it yet.

What does the native built in FB support not do? I'm never able to get a straight answer as to why a Facebook app is even necessary, as all the features are redundant to what the system already does.

henry.gray

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Lags on cheap android devices? The OS lags even on quad core devices, like the S3 and that was not a cheap device. I don't know about the S4 though, so I can't comment on that.

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I actually think that WP is FAR ahead anyone else with regard to Facebook in that you can post to someone's wall or update your own status - or see friends' status - all without even having to open the Facebook application. You can do everything from People. Including even seeing pictures someone's posted to FB or Twitter.
When I left WP for Symbian (808 PureView) there were some tricks that were on Symbian to mimic this, but still never came close.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey gang!!

My daughter is seriously looking at the L1020 as an option when we upgrade in the next few weeks. She is the typical 20-something young lady... she posts tons to Facebook and uses it to keep track of friends more then texting/calling/ or any other way. She has a Samsung Captivate Glide right now, and I am a little worried about the Facebook intereface on WP. Basically, I use facebook like once a month, and I am not a photo nut. So, do any of you use the 1020 to upload to Facebook or other social networks often? What is the experince like? Is our WP8 app (I am still on WP7) better, or at least close in quality & features to Android?

This is a deal killer for her, and I want her happy. Any experiences are appreciated.

Have you seen the new Samsung Galaxy camera at at&t?? It is truly a camera that happens to be a phone as well. If she takes alot of pics she may be better off with the Samsung.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Have you seen the new Samsung Galaxy camera at at&t?? It is truly a camera that happens to be a phone as well. If she takes alot of pics she may be better off with the Samsung.

You think she'd be better off with that horrendous looking thing?

People make fun of phablets, but those are easier to carry around than a wide brick like that.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Tell her about the Facebook beta link. Way better

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

JonnieLasVegas has a daughter who apparently has an iPhone, and who uses an iPhone as a primary phone. And who rarely has a positive post, but then perhaps we're all in that boat at times.

We have no idea what Facebook app his daughter is using on Windows Phone. May be the built in functionality which is a million light years from the beta Facebook App (but still functional).

My wife has no issues that I've heard of with Facebook on WP, and I'd hear about it if there were!

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
May be the built in functionality which is a million light years from the beta Facebook App (but still functional).

How is the built in functionality behind the beta app? I don't understand. Chat works. The live tile works. Browsing your timeline, pinning contact timelines to the homescreen with live updating tiles- all this works. Browsing only videos and pictures posted to the timeline works through the photo hub.

What more does the beta app do that WP can't already? There's certainly more WP can do natively that the beta FB app cannot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)