Calling anyone who upgraded from 920 to 1020!

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
So one thing I love about the 1020 is how light it is compared to my 920. The one thing that annoys me the most is the lack of wireless charging...unfortunately, to get wireless charging, we need to add a case which adds bulkiness and weight.

So all that being said, for people who have upgraded from the 920 to 1020, how annoying is the lack of wireless charging for you, and how do you deal with it? Did you buy the wireless charging case? If so, does the phone still feel lighter than the 920? Sound off below!

Thanks!

Del Rei

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I didn't have the 920.

But... Why would you change to 1020...?
What is the main feature you want in 1020 that you don't have in 920....?

Night pictures are best in 920.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I didn't have the 920.

But... Why would you change to 1020...?
What is the main feature you want in 1020 that you don't have in 920....?

Night pictures are best in 920.

There's the whole 41mp sensor camera, lighter build and construction, wireless charging is optional through a case and there's double the amount of ram. But other than that yeah there's not much difference.

kinslayer

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
The loss of wireless charging was the main reason I did not initially upgrade. But eventually I really wanted the camera so went ahead.

At first, I used the case. But I hated it. I am not a case guy in general and this one added bulk and took away the nice feel of the phone. I stopped using it. It's fine. You miss it at first but it's not AS big of a deal as you think it will be.

Btw, the extra 1GB of RAM is only utilized by the camera. For everything else, the phone is 1GB of RAM. It doesn't matter though since WP runs very smooth on it anyway.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
the op is saying he prefers the ''lightness'' of the phone not he prefers ''night time shots'' ;-) the 1020 is much lighter then the 920 ;-)

on the flip side I don't use wireless charging , find it charges to slow for me to be honest id rather connect the charger and get the charge in there quicker then trickle charge it via wireless charging :)

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
People questioning whether or not the 1020 is an upgrade to the 920 need to wake up and smell the coffee.

How is that even a question?

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Can't say much about dislike of bulkiness... I rock the camera grip. As to how I deal with lack of wireless charge, I am never without a plug. I really thought it was cool and convenient. It was definitely a change but not that big.

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded from a 920 but it mainly for the camera.
1020 feels light , battery life is way better than 920, even if it has more ram.
I had the wireless charger but i dont miss it much, as everyone has a USB charger now a days so no issues.
screen is better too, amoled feels great, deep blacks.

I would advice you to upgrade only if your keen on the 1020's camera.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
So one thing I love about the 1020 is how light it is compared to my 920. The one thing that annoys me the most is the lack of wireless charging...unfortunately, to get wireless charging, we need to add a case which adds bulkiness and weight.

So all that being said, for people who have upgraded from the 920 to 1020, how annoying is the lack of wireless charging for you, and how do you deal with it? Did you buy the wireless charging case? If so, does the phone still feel lighter than the 920? Sound off below!

Thanks!
I went from a 920 to 1020 to 1520

In all honesty, i am perfectly content without wireless charging. I used it once. Just give me a wall and a socket to put my charger in

My 1020 definitely felt better in the hand than the 920.

HM02

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm upgrading soon. The idea of wireless charging is nice, but it doesn't charge it right and it makes the phone hot. I've barely used it. BUT I will say that I still think it's dumb they didn't include it in the 1020 because the wireless charging coil thing inside the 920 is so freakin' thin that it wouldn't have made a difference whatsoever in the 1020 but oh well. Other than that, I like the design more of the 1020 now. It's more true to form, of the original Lumia design. And obvs the better camera.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Oops! Didn't realize so many people commented so quickly! Well, for people questioning my reason for upgrading to a 1020, it was a warranty exchange through ATT, so it was kind of a no-brainer, even though the lack of wireless charging sucks and I'm not too keen on AMOLED. But sounds like most people who have tried the wireless charging case eventually took it off, so I guess I'm stuck using a wired cable :/ I hope ATT eventually pull themselves out of this PMA nonsense and allow Qi compatible phones on their network in the future. Until then, my qi charger will collect dust in my closet

TashiJLE

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Upgraded my wife from a 920 to 1020! She'll get it in two days. Hope she loves it. I'm getting the 1520 for myself though!

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Upgraded my wife from a 920 to 1020! She'll get it in two days. Hope she loves it. I'm getting the 1520 for myself though!

both are great phones and windows has seen a lot of dev love in the last 10 days or so which has been great :) I went for the 1020 for the camera and size but if you like your phones big I am sure the 1520 will rock for you :) hope you enjoy both devices :)

hudsonvalley

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Definitely like 1020 better. Its lighter, thinner.
Didn't even notice that wireless charging was missing.
Can't really tell that the camera is so much better, quantity (41mp) does not always mean quality. I'm super annoyed by yellow tint on the pictures.
I got 1020 as a replacement under warranty after 6 faulty 920s.
Went to a store several times to play with 1520 and 2520. 1520 is a beautiful device, wish it was tiny bit smaller. Wasn't sure what to make of 2520, my first impression, OS was kinda annoying - to much manipulation (swiping, dragging, tapping etc) to get smth done.

mpovolo

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I went from 920 to 1020 and like you wireless charging is almost essential. For me though I always use skin cases like gels are hard cases. The clip on Nokia has for the 1020 is basically one of those, protects the back of the phone and gives me wireless charging. So honestly, perfect setup for me.

selddup

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I came from a 925 to a 1020. I have tested and held the 920 in store as well so I can vouch a bit. It's a lot sleeker, bit thinner, and definitely lighter. The wireless charging was never a function I took interest in as I've always been the type to plug and charge things in; just feels simpler.

And without getting too out of question/topic, may I add that the 1020 feels more powerful in your hands, especially the camera. I'm not even a heavy camera user and I'm excited to pull out and use it just for it's great quality. However it's one of those "do I really want/need it for the extra money" type of features, because the software and apps are pretty much even play. Ex: Iphone 5 vs 5s slow motion cam/fingerprint security, or that gimmicky bump to bump transfer on new android Galaxies.

go1020

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
My wife has 920 and I have 1020. The weight and feel of 1020 is way better. It is sleek, even the 3 buttons have a premium feel. But holding it in the hand was awkward with the hump, so I got the wireless charging cover. It helps a lot and offers convenient charging. But again I don't tend to drop my phone so its perfect for me. I also tried the Poetic case with rubberized feel, it helps a lot with hump too and offers better grip than matte finish.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss