Swithchin from iphone4 to lumia 920

FredV78

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I need to update my iphone4 and was seriously considering the lumia 920. The ios alternative would be the iphone4S. I can get it here in Italy for ? 250,00. At the same price (+/- ?10) I can find the 720. The 820 and 925 are significantly more expensive (over ? 100 more for (apparently) little gain). Please let me know if there are better alternatives to consider!

My other questions are:

Being ignorant of the wp hardware available, is the 920 still a viable option today? Will it be usable for another 2 years (I plan to probably upgrade in 2015)?
The info I found was that the newer models (1020) have extra features but the processor and ram is the same; am I correct in assuming the lifespan of the unit will be comparable?

The apps I use most on the iphone are facebook, what'sapp, viber, waze skype, tweitter, the camera, and a few games (which I can do without); are all of these available for WP?

Obviously I will lose the photo streaming found in the iphone, is there a WP equivalent (skydrive?)
Are there any other thinggs ?I might miss in the change from ios to wp8? things I should consider?

thank you all in advance for your time and comments!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Since I own a L920 and have since January this year I think I can help you out here.

The L920 is a great phone. The camera is fantastic, the screen is wonderful and the storage size is just right as far as I'm concerned. People complain about the weight but you get used to it.

The L920 will continue to receive updates and it will be supported until 2015. I can't say that the updates will be everything that is coming in the future as there will always be some level of hardware limitations.

By 2015 the L920 will be three years old. Will it still be a good phone at that stage? Depends on you mostly. If you're not after the latest in hardware and have no issues wanting to run the latest and greatest OS then it should suit you just fine.

A lot of the latest phones are not huge updates on the L920, it wasn't until the recent larger models that came out has there been newer hardware.

Now apps.

With the apps it all comes down to how important they are to you. All the ones you mentioned are available on WP. They may not however be 100% like they are on the iPhone. Some functions may be limited or may not be available. It comes down to what level of user you are. We even have Instagram now!

For photo streaming there's photobeamer by Nokia. It will beam photos to any screen with an internet connection. In the future there will be Nokia Beamer (available 2014 for L920) which looks fantastic. Nokia Beamer allows you to share your Lumia display with another device. And it’s the craziest thing we’ve ever seen | Windows Phone Central

To look for apps that you use you can simply go to The Smartphone Reinvented Around You | Windows Phone (United States) (find the Italy site). This site will help you understand how WP works and what apps are available and WP limitations.

The key thing to keep in mind with WP is that even though WP7 was around WP8 is a new OS and is still going through changes and updates. We hope to see great things with WP8.1 coming in Q2 in 2014.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss