Insurance for your mobile devices

gripr

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I want to purchase the Unlocked Nokia Lumia 1020 (Rogers) from OmegaCell, but I can't get SquareTrade extended warranty and the Warranty that OmegaCell offers might be a pain in the **** if I have to ship it back to them. I'm going to call my State Farm agent later today and see if they cover mobile phones.

But for now, What insurance providers do you guys use or recommend?

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Use an AMEX card they cover theft and double the warranty ( in fact most CC's double the warranty if you use a CC)

State Farm would cover against theft or a flood or fire etc. but not against defects or repairs.

gripr

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for you reply PB_H.

Since the phone is in a Canada model and would be used in the US. Would the warranty still be valid if purchased with AMEX or CC?

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I personally self insure my devices as I take care of my stuff. If you are rough on your devices like so many others here are you would be wise to get the insurance.

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I personally self insure my devices as I take care of my stuff. If you are rough on your devices like so many others here are you would be wise to get the insurance.

I'm very careful and have hardly scratched a phone ever (first phone in 2004, plus prior PocketPC devices earlier). When I bought the 1020, Microsoft offered the $99 two year accidental plan, which also includes water damage. I figured since I really planned and wanted to keep this phone for a long time, that I would buy it. Sure enough, first screen I ever cracked when it slipped out of my pocket while sitting. Got it replaced with a brand new one that day for $50 (by going to a Microsoft store).

Very easy process, would recommend.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
If your CC is a VISA/MC and not the basic VISA/MC card (it has to be gold or platinum I think) using in doubles the warranty but it might be different in Canada,
but just call you CC company, Visa, MC or AMEX and ask because it might be different but I doubt it, but do call.

J_Oliver

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
ProtectCELL is what I use for my phone coverage. It’s extremely reasonably priced for a 2 year plan. They have a deducible as well but it beats paying full price for a new phone!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett