Life after IOS, one week in.. (UK)

just dirk

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
After almost 8yrs of iphone ownership i have finally decided to try something new, so here i am with my new shiny Lumia 1020..

The handset itself feels like a premium piece of kit, the screen is responsive but not quite as accurate as my old 4S at times but nothing i can't live with.

A few little things that are irritating me right now are the lack of availability of certain apps, Santander banking & Vodafone to mention two.
i am finding some webpages are very glitchcy, some only work on mobile view while others only desktop. Even this forum doesn't let me add a new thread in desktop mode, the keypad keeps dropping off the screen when i select the text box grrrr!!!
Having to self capitalise new sentences (im hoping this is a setting i can change).

Not being able to add videos to instagram.
Facebook app is like something from days gone by! No ability to add photos as comments, no memory of where you were, so if you leave the app for a second you default back to your feed every time! Tried the beta app but it is just the same. The messaging function is equally irritating for other reasons..

But im hoping to be here for the long haul, the live tiles are nice where available, more apps to add custom tiles would be nicer.

Please feel free to offer any advice/links/solutions to my new WP experience :)

JD

scgf

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
There's a free app called 'Web Apps' which contains a perfectly good Santander mobile banking app. You can pin it to the start screen and you'd never know it wasn't actually an app. Maybe they have a Vodafone web app too.

I use UC Browser most of the time. Worth a try.

There are Facebook alternatives. I use Social Scout Pro which contains a Facebook module which can be pinned. It lets you see photos in comments. Might be worth trying it.

I too moved from iOS - last December in my case. I had bought the iPhone 5 and never liked the silly narrow, tall screen. Reminded me of looking out of a pillar box when using it landscape. Too light and flimsy too. I bought a Lumia 920 in a special deal at EE, knowing I'd be able to recover what I'd paid and more, should I not like it. Basically I was shocked at how nice WP8 was. I loved it. I kept my iPhone for a while, and when I used it I felt increasingly irritated - the lack of a back button was particularly problematic and I began to see that a user interface which is just app icons is naff. If I wanted to open my favourite radio station on the iPhone, I needed to open the Tune-In app, go to my favourites, find the station in a list and select it. With WP8 I just pin the station to my start screen. How much better is that. Same with podcasts, contacts, even destinations from Here Drive. So elegant!

Last week I bought a Lumia 1020 and sold on my 920.

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Also for Instagram upload videos, I use 6tag instead of Instagram... 6Tag is amazing!!!! has even more features than Instagram on any platform!

6029KingStephen

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
iPhone convert here also :)

I've had the 1020 for a couple of months now and I'm so glad I changed.

I do not have to capitalise new sentences, the only "secret" is that you need a space after the closing punctuation of the previous sentence. On a related subject, it took a while to get into the habit of using it properly, but I love the typing suggestions as you type - I just typed the text, "Don't worry then, I'll get some tomorrow" with about 10 keystrokes! It is very clever.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234