For any interested Canadians..

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I bought the unlocked RM-937 model and it should arrive tomorrow. I'll be setting it up to be used on Rogers and by Saturday I'll have done enough testing to give you guys some feedback. So anyone who is on the fence about buying the unlocked model to use in Canada just check back in a couple days and I'll let you know my findings.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

My major worry about Canada and Nokia as a couple is the after sales service.

malik2k1

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Hope you got your 1520!! N e feedback on how it works with Rogers? I really want to get one myself but I don't know if the RM-937 will work well on Rogers!

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hey, so I see you went ahead and ordered it!

Where did you get it from? How long did you wait until it was delivered?

How about the AWS band 1700/2100? Will it work on Wind?

What about LTE bands?

What was your first impression when you held it for the first time? Too big or ok?

Do you talk on it through a Bluetooth device or just hold it to your ear? How does it feel?

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey, so I see you went ahead and ordered it!

Where did you get it from? How long did you wait until it was delivered?

How about the AWS band 1700/2100? Will it work on Wind?

What about LTE bands?

What was your first impression when you held it for the first time? Too big or ok?

Do you talk on it through a Bluetooth device or just hold it to your ear? How does it feel?

Yes I did! I bought it online from OmegaCell. They ship directly from Alberta. They have the Hong Kong variant of the RM-937. It takes 3-5 business days to ship or for $20 more you can get it literally the next day (within Canada). I don't know if it works on Wind as I'm on Rogers. LTE shows up as 4G on the phone but is pretty fast. I'm getting 32mbps download and 10mbps upload as I sit in my office right now. Holding it the first time was definitely overwhelming. But after my first weekend I'm already used to the size. Luckily it fits comfortably in all my pant/jean pockets. It's thinner and lighter than I expected it to feel in hand. The screen is unbelievably beautiful on it. Gaming on it is even better. I actually don't talk a lot on my phone. I resort to text/email/whatsapp mostly but the times I did I held it to my ear. Felt a bit awkward. The speaker phone is super loud when I used it as well. I did experience a couple small bugs this weekend. One I know is global which is on random occasion though not often the screen will dim slightly after unlocking it then go back to full brightness after. On of my fav apps "Fuse" (for rss feeds) is having issues displaying a live tile. I've reinstalled a few times and keep getting mixed results. So far of the other pinned tiles they show correctly. So it seems isolated. I also had a temporary issue with adding ringtones. I tried to drag and drop my ringtones from my desktop over to the ringtone folder and instead of the files transferring it created a whole bunch of "thumbs.db" files instead causing my ringtones not to show up. Best part was I can't delete these files in any way. I tried dragging and dropping my ringtone folder to the phone in hopes to overwrite it and instead it created another folder called Ringtones(1). After some messing around they finally showed up but that new folder and the 15 thumbs.db files cannot be deleted. Those are my only issues so far.

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info,

I do use my cellphone to talk so I am not sure how I will feel when I hold this beast for the first time. I am literally scared of not liking it. I do want to like it.

I feel the Canadian version is coming soon, as the Canadian Microsoft store started selling cases for it.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I feel the Canadian version is coming soon, as the Canadian Microsoft store started selling cases for it.

Hmm, I'm not so certain about the "soon" part. Rogers and Nokia Canada are still very actively promoting the Lumia 1020 still so if the 1520 does come I can't see it being sooner than early next year.

Btw, I'm not sure where you saw cases for the 1520. I stopped by my local MS Store on the way home and the definitely didn't have any and couldn't see why they would stock cases for a phone that isn't for sale in Canada. They all just looked at me funny. I also inquired about the Yorkdale store and they responded the same way. Where did you see them exactly?

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It's the online Microsoft store actually. If you go to the Canadian edition of the website and search for 1520 you will get the protective cover in the results.

I think I will wait for the Canadian launch. The phone will be penta-band, and I can easily return it if I didn't like it. It will probably be cheaper as well.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
It's the online Microsoft store actually. If you go to the Canadian edition of the website and search for 1520 you will get the protective cover in the results.

I think I will wait for the Canadian launch. The phone will be penta-band, and I can easily return it if I didn't like it. It will probably be cheaper as well.

I checked and very odd that it's on there. Stores aren't even aware of this. If you're in no rush I'd say wait as well and if all goes well they will get it eventually. I assume if they do it will be pentaband. So if you're on Wind then definitely wait. Though I can't imagine it selling for less than $699 off contract. The Galaxy Note 3 on Rogers sells for $699 off contract. So factor in taxes and it will be at least $790.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on warranty coverage. When I bought my RM-937 from OmegaCell (local store here in Edmonton) they stated that Nokia won't cover the warranty becasue it's the international version of the phone. So, if I have an issue with my phone, and I send it in to Nokia Canada, they would charge me for the repair. This is correct?

EDIT: I guess I'll also add that I've had no issues with using my 1520 on Rogers, everything works!

Last edited:

jfmanzo

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I just got mine yesterday- I'm in Calgary and so the "5-7 day" standard shipping only took one day (OmegaCell is in Edmonton, which is nice but not as nice as when they had a storefront on 17th SW in Calgary about a 10 minute walk from my house!). FWIW it's not the HK variant I got but the Malaysian one- even lists "CV Malaysia" as carrier under "About." $750+shipping for the 32 gb version is not a bad deal at all- $135 less than Expansys and $50 less than Amazon.ca.

AND a couple of hours after that post the screen died completely. Haptic buttons still light up, the phone rings and I hear notifications but the screen is black. It has occasionally started up without my doing anything but then it flickers, goes bat****, and back to black. It is unusable.

I called Omega Cell and they said to email them with my order details and I'd "probably" have to send it back. I emailed them about 25 minutes ago and will let you folks know what transpires.

Not happy right now.

Next day now- they were very nice about it, said to send it back and that they'd replace it if necessary.

Last edited:

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I just got mine yesterday- I'm in Calgary and so the "5-7 day" standard shipping only took one day (OmegaCell is in Edmonton, which is nice but not as nice as when they had a storefront on 17th SW in Calgary about a 10 minute walk from my house!). FWIW it's not the HK variant I got but the Malaysian one- even lists "CV Malaysia" as carrier under "About." $750+shipping for the 32 gb version is not a bad deal at all- $135 less than Expansys and $50 less than Amazon.ca.

I can confirm about it being the Malaysia variant. Also, in store the phone is $700 (which is what I paid for it).

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Testing an at&t device on Rogers isn't really testing much. At&t & Rogers partners and have all the same features, restrictions and usually the same devices and same exclusive devices.

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on warranty coverage. When I bought my RM-937 from OmegaCell (local store here in Edmonton) they stated that Nokia won't cover the warranty becasue it's the international version of the phone. So, if I have an issue with my phone, and I send it in to Nokia Canada, they would charge me for the repair. This is correct?EDIT: I guess I'll also add that I've had no issues with using my 1520 on Rogers, everything works!

edit: strange my message disappeared, wtfrick. So what I previously tried to say was:

Nokia has never given international warranty. If you want your Nokia device to be serviced under warranty [often does not include anything physical] you need to send it to the country of origin that the phone came from. In your case it would be HK or Malaysia it seems [for me it would be somewhere in Latin America].
However, sometimes Nokia may come to an agreement with you and have your phone replaced by a locked-branded-model from the country you reside in [assuming the phone you have is also offered in Canada--or whichever country you would be replacing it from].

For example, I had a US Nokia N8 [grey] which got bricked due to a faulty USB port while updating to Nokia Belle. Sent it to Nokia to reboot the software---instead they decided to send me a Rogers Nokia N8 [silver--as it's the only colour offered].
In this case, the 1520 has yet to be offered in Canada----so either you'll get a 1020, 920, 630, 625, 520, or any other Nokia phone currently out in the market or no replacement and thus would have to ship it out to another country or see if flextronics is willing to service your phone [you pay out of your pocket].

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss