Tried Tethering on Straight Talk and got a prompt to visit att.com..what?

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Straight Talk specifically forbids tethering. Generally, tethering is allowed when you don't have unlimited data. On T-Mobile, the unlimited data plan specifies that tethering is capped to 2.5GB. I can't speak for what you were able to do before except it isn't allowed, and you could have your service terminated for it.

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Straight Talk specifically forbids tethering. Generally, tethering is allowed when you don't have unlimited data. On T-Mobile, the unlimited data plan specifies that tethering is capped to 2.5GB. I can't speak for what you were able to do before except it isn't allowed, and you could have your service terminated for it.

Well whether it's against their TOS or not doesn't explain why an ATT prompt pops up.

because your phone has ATT firmware on it and blocks tethering by default.

Nope, my phone is the RM-937 which has nothing to do with AT&T.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Straight Talk piggybacks onto AT&T's network. Even though Straight Talk is your provider, you're still on AT&T's network and under their mercy.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Looks like my only option is to grab a t mobile sim and do a hard reset. Hopefully that fools it into unlocking the tether.

Sent from my RM-937_apac_hong_kong_222 using Tapatalk

dropofdreams

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
As mentioned above, the SIM and the actual provider are going to play very little into the experience your having. In fact, it's going to count against you. Based on the message you're getting, I'll assume that you have an AT&T variant of the device. As such, the firmware installed is calling out to AT&T to make sure that you're provisioned to tether. This will be disabled in many cases for for people that have unlimited data plans. They'll often tack on additional cost to provision data in this regard. For those that don't have unlimited data, I believe the law states that you can use it as you please and so generally, said additional fee does not apply. As you're not actually using AT&T (despite it being an MVNO) you're going to find that the device can't handshake to determine which category you fall in.

EDIT: I just read that you have the international version. That's odd indeed that you're experiencing this. It has to be on the carrier end then and not the device itself. I am curious then if your APN refers to AT&T/Cingular at all.

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
The internet data apn is att.mvno while mms goes through Cingular. That's from a custom apn I added for Straight Talk. The phone also has an ATT apn it created by default when I put the ST sim in it and that apn can't be deleted, just inactivated.

dropofdreams

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Very interesting. To the best of your knowledge, does Straight Talk offer tethering to their customer base? If so, you might want to call and ask for them to make sure that your line of service is provisioned for it/Updating the registered IMEI on file. I am betting they are using a tool called Telegence (TLG for short) and it's as simple as adding the feature to the line, power cycling, and then using it. This is something that is capable of restricting service(s) based on IMEI (or lack of identification therein).

sonus

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
The internet data apn is att.mvno while mms goes through Cingular. That's from a custom apn I added for Straight Talk. The phone also has an ATT apn it created by default when I put the ST sim in it and that apn can't be deleted, just inactivated.

My assumption is that the ATT/ST sim adds one of 2 things.
1. A hidden tethering APN that we can't reset b/c we do not have access to the registry, nor to tethering APNs
2. A flag that tells the phone to check with ATT's servers to see if your phone number is recognized before tethering

The proposed solutions that I have seen are to flash a foreign keyboard, or trooter's method of using a foreign SIM to reset the APNs. Both of which have been successfully used by people who bough ATT phones and are using them internationally (the opposite of our issue). This weekend I may try some ROM flashing to see if on some whim I can get anywhere with a different ROM and one of the two hacks mentioned above. What really annoys me however, is that I hate Android exactly b/c it NEEDS to be tinkered with and maintained for the phone to work properly - so having to go through this on my WP is very annoying. If it weren't for the fact that Android's UI is a complete reprehensible mess with no attention to user experience, and a lack of hyperlinking w/in OEM applications such as being able to access call history of a contact from a text message, I'd probably just switch back.

I don't know what Telegence (TLG) is, but both the OP and I were able to tether using international Android devices on our networks. So unless Telegence is activated on the phone side, it should have also restricted our non-ATT Android phones from tethering as well.

dropofdreams

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Telegence is the tool that bears your line of service profile with the carrier. It would be what dictates tethering availability on the carrier end.

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Yeah clearly AT&T is involved somehow due to the default AT&T APN created by the phone. I'm guessing Nokia put it in there to create the APN anytime the AT&T network is detected and it probably triggers a registry key to switch tethering off. I may try the T-mobile sim trick later on with a hard reset to see if I can re-enable tethering.

James chop Walker

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I was answering another poster's comment, which I quoted in my post.

Get your hands on an old optimus V...on virgin mobile . it runs froyo and a 35$ a month plan will give you 300 minutes unlimited text and web and most importantlly...a free wifi hotspot...with no xtra fees! It is only 3g but it works flawlessly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes