Just bought my first Windows Phone - Some Questions...

bd1212

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So, I just bought a Windows Phone after trying nearly every current high-end Android/iOS device in the past 3 months (iPhone 5s, LG G2, Note 3, Moto X) and I have a few questions. I would've preferred to wait for the Lumia 929, and I did... for over month now, but I got sick of waiting and was able to get a used Lumia 928 for $210 shipped. I initially was on the fence about trying Windows Phone 8 as I really didn't see any real benefits over my current Moto X (which I really, really like), but at $210 I figured why not. Plan on keeping this until my next big purchase which will most likely be a Galaxy S5, but that's a different story. Okay, I think I've rambled enough... time for some questions:

1.) Does the Lumia 928 support group messaging? I thought I read that this was blocked by Verizon, and if that's the case, can I re-enable it?
2.) How's the battery life on this thing?
3.) Can I keep my Google Account/Gmail and sync contacts/calendar with that instead of outlook?
4.) Is there a Google Play Music app (either official or non-official) on Windows phone?
5.) How's the camera quality on this thing? I'm not the biggest picture guy, but in the summer/spring months I tend to take a lot of pictures and they need to come out good.
6.) On Android and iOS I was very into rooting/jailbreaking, what is the equivalent on Windows Phone and if this is possible what are the benefits?

Thanks in advance for the answers!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
So, I just bought a Windows Phone after trying nearly every current high-end Android/iOS device in the past 3 months (iPhone 5s, LG G2, Note 3, Moto X) and I have a few questions. I would've preferred to wait for the Lumia 929, and I did... for over month now, but I got sick of waiting and was able to get a used Lumia 928 for $210 shipped. I initially was on the fence about trying Windows Phone 8 as I really didn't see any real benefits over my current Moto X (which I really, really like), but at $210 I figured why not. Plan on keeping this until my next big purchase which will most likely be a Galaxy S5, but that's a different story. Okay, I think I've rambled enough... time for some questions:

1.) Does the Lumia 928 support group messaging? I thought I read that this was blocked by Verizon, and if that's the case, can I re-enable it?
3.) Can I keep my Google Account/Gmail and sync contacts/calendar with that instead of outlook?
4.) Is there a Google Play Music app (either official or non-official) on Windows phone?
5.) How's the camera quality on this thing? I'm not the biggest picture guy, but in the summer/spring months I tend to take a lot of pictures and they need to come out good.
6.) On Android and iOS I was very into rooting/jailbreaking, what is the equivalent on Windows Phone and if this is possible what are the benefits?

1, Verizon has blocked it
2.Battery in the lab is one thing, on the street, who knows.
3. You can keep google mail but why when Outlook is so much better?
4. No.
5. 20 megapixels. Should be fantastic.
6. You won't be rooting WP any time soon but I'm sure XDA is trying.

wayn1ak

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Umm I don't know where Jazmac is getting his answers but some are incorrect.

1. Yes, there was an update that added group messaging to the 928
Verizon details Lumia 928 update; includes group messaging, lacks FM radio | Windows Phone Central

2. Depending on how much I use it, I get a range of 12-30 hours of battery life on my phone. Some apps really suck up power so beware of those (i.e. Waze, Uno & Friends, 6sec...etc.)

3. I don't use Google calendar but I do have 3 gmail accounts and 1 outlook account synced to my phone. There is an option in settings to toggle the gmail calendars on/off

4. Not that I know of.

5. Camera is great. It's not 20 megapixels but rather 8.7.
Nokia Lumia 928 Review - Camera and Multimedia
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-928/226147-pictures-videos-taken-your-928-a.html

6. I don't jailbreak and I'm not sure if there is a benefit to jailbreaking on Windows Phone. Can somebody else chime in?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The only WP8 device that has been "jailbroken" that I can think of is one of the Samsung Ativ models (don't remember which one, or if it was all of them).

The camera is VERY good - one of the best phone-cameras out there, really only beaten by other Nokias (1020, 1520, 1320, 925). And were you aware that no one in the world makes more cameras than Nokia? They took the title in 2008, when they beat out Kodak. It's no wonder they make the best phone-cameras.

I don't use group messaging, but like Wayn1ak I was surprised to see Jazmac's answer to group messaging, because one of the updates (I think GDR2) added group messaging back. If it's gone now, it's news to me, but I don't recall reading that it was gone.

Since you just got your 928, you may need to update in order to get it. Go to settings | phone update | check for updates. Unless you've already done this, I'm betting there are going to be updates available to you, since the phone probably came without GDR2 out of the box. And if you'd like to update to GDR3, which is currently out there on some phones with regular updates, but many of us have as a part of the Preview for Developers, you can do that, too.
Download the Preview for Developers and get GDR3 right now | Windows Phone Central

Edit: Just reread after posting, and saw that you bought a used phone. It would still be worth the effort to check to see if there are updates available, in case the prior owner didn't update it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb