New to windows phone

bono30

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
So I am currently an Android user, but looking to switch to my first WP. I have been waiting for the 929 since I first saw it and I am kinda excited about it. I was wondering what kind of experiences people had when they made the switch. Also what some of your favorite apps are. I mainly use my phone for camera (hence why I want to make the switch), phone calls (can't wait to get rid of terrible reception from s3), sports updates (hockey) and some facebooking. I am not a huge gamer on the phone but I occasionally play some to kill time.
Also I love the fact that when I went into a Verizon store they were trying to steer me away from a WP, but they had nothing to say except the app store is small.

Kris Simundson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
lol well the app store isn't that small, they have the apps that matter. To be honest all these numbers about iOS and Android appstore is stupid. 98% of those apps are junk. Sure WP has it's own junk apps, but it has the ones that matter. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Vine, and even Snapchat (via 6snap).

So I say go for the 929, and enjoy the awesome new phone, and new experience.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi and welcome to WPCentral. Since the 929 is not available yet, there won't be any reviews out. I'm sure that WPCentral will review it once it is available.

What types of apps do you like? That might help people give you some recommendations.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
The app store is growing, the reps just have like no knowledge, lol. And the 929 hasn't been announced yet, but should come soon! The camera apps on the Lumia are just, wow! My sister has a Lumia, and with those editing tools and filters, it was AMAZING! Facebook is integrated into windows phone, but can download a 3rd party app if you like. Bing sports and the rest of those apps (Bing finance, etc) are wonderful to use. You can also use the ESPN app for your hockey. I hope you will get the 929 when it comes out, because you'll love it! 😃

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I haven't really cared that the app store is smaller than iOS or Android.

Sure, there may be certain apps that other people like, but it's not like it affects me. If I don't get to try the newest "in" thing it's not really that big of a deal.

Nokia Boy

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
go to windowsphone.com to see what apps there are,also if u need a really good camera u might like lumia 1020... personally when i made the switch from droid to wp8 was weird as i was unfamiliar wiith this os,but after some days i learned the basics and im satisfied how cool wp8 is...

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I think we've all mostly had bad experiences with reps at Verizon when it comes to Windows Phone. Rarely do I come across reps who know anything about Windows Phone, and when I ask about it or help my parents buy their Windows Phones, the reps try to steer them away from it and say things like "Do you know what you're getting into?" and it infuriates me.

But that's life as the underdog. Once more people see how quick and easy and fun the OS is, more will switch. I remember a time when Android was for poor people who thought they were buying an iPhone in my area (southern Connecticut). Now I have more friends with Android phones than iPhones. So perceptions do change. It just takes time and the right people to spread the word. :)

Welcome to WPCental, by the way! I'm waiting on a 929 as well. Seems like a great device that will last a long time, especially with Nokia's build quality. I'm not too happy about lack of color and great design, but that's the life of a Verizon customer. As long as the phone works well and the camera is stellar, I will be a happy camper.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I really hope that 929 comes to AT&T, or they make a global variant. I don't care if they make a different design for everyone else, I just want the 1520 in a smaller form factor. IS THAT TOO HARD TO ASK NOKIA?

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I find it so odd that AT&T customers even get bummed by the 929. AT&T gets a LOT of Nokia devices. AT&T always seems fully on board with Windows Phone, and they don't even try to remove the design or colors and put their branding all over it. AT&T is usually expected to get at least 2 Windows Phone devices a year, and that's not counting low end. Trying to get Verizon to carry a Windows Phone is like pulling teeth. And even then, they only do it with the agreement that they get to stamp like 3 logos on it, remove all colors, and round off the edges and take away anything that made Nokia's design award winning. It's a rough life for a Verizon customer who likes Windows Phone. But I do understand that the devices Verizon gets are usually great quality. Although I'd kill for the 1020 on Verizon. Love that phone.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I switched over to WP from iOS (Apple released iOS 6, abandoned me with iOS 7 and killed my device with lag) about two months ago after seriously considering it for a while; admittedly, there are things I miss like the Notification Centre, VPN support and better app resuming - but given these things were bound to come in WP8.1 I switched over anyways and do not regret it at all. All my friends who have Android phones and iPhones first gawk at my yellow 1020, then at the camera (and the photos) and then at how fluid and fast it is compared to their phones!!!

I was initially worried that I wouldn't be able to find equivalents for the apps I used to use a lot on iOS; I think after I switched to WP I got rid of the perception that third-party apps sucked - everyone has this perception that just because apps aren't official they automatically suck but with devs like Rudy Huyn apps on WP are real quality apps that sometimes even better the first-party ones.

Apps I reccommend:

• Battery Sense
  • Tweet It!
  • Facebook Beta
  • Bing Weather
  • Metrotube
  • Lockmix
  • Cal

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I switched over to WP from iOS (Apple released iOS 6, abandoned me with iOS 7 and killed my device with lag) about two months ago after seriously considering it for a while; admittedly, there are things I miss like the Notification Centre, VPN support and better app resuming - but given these things were bound to come in WP8.1 I switched over anyways and do not regret it at all. All my friends who have Android phones and iPhones first gawk at my yellow 1020, then at the camera (and the photos) and then at how fluid and fast it is compared to their phones!!!

I was initially worried that I wouldn't be able to find equivalents for the apps I used to use a lot on iOS; I think after I switched to WP I got rid of the perception that third-party apps sucked - everyone has this perception that just because apps aren't official they automatically suck but with devs like Rudy Huyn apps on WP are real quality apps that sometimes even better the first-party ones.

Apps I reccommend:

• Battery Sense
  • Tweet It!
  • Facebook Beta
  • Bing Weather
  • Metrotube
  • Lockmix
  • Cal

I agree. Rudy is a MACHINE! Crazy how fast he can churn out apps that rival those by huge corporations and with even more features! Devs like him are so great for Windows Phone.

SANDEEP NAIR1

May 22, 2013
Visit site
i have over 200 apps and 20 games installed in my 920. i use more than 60% of them all the time and others once in a while.. i dont get bored by the apps available in wp store.. do u have time to play around with 200 apps ? if no then you shouldnt give a rats a** about app numbers..

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
The only arguments I ever hear is that windows phone don't have many apps. Android has over 1 million apps and you probably only use about 20. I know I did.

I used android for 2 years and then I switched to windows phone and have never looked back. The thing I disliked about the android was in order to have the best android you would have to root your phone and get rid of bloat ware so that you wouldn't get random battery drain. The android was good to me as it was my first smart phone. When I got the windows phone about a year ago I did notice the app store only had a few selection but it did what I needed it to do.

Android just has like 50 apps that does the same function and a lot of crappy apps as well. As for the main major apps like social networks for windows phone do just fine.

Kris Simundson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The only arguments I ever hear is that windows phone don't have many apps. Android has over 1 million apps and you probably only use about 20. I know I did.

I used android for 2 years and then I switched to windows phone and have never looked back. The thing I disliked about the android was in order to have the best android you would have to root your phone and get rid of bloat ware so that you wouldn't get random battery drain. The android was good to me as it was my first smart phone. When I got the windows phone about a year ago I did notice the app store only had a few selection but it did what I needed it to do.

Android just has like 50 apps that does the same function and a lot of crappy apps as well. As for the main major apps like social networks for windows phone do just fine.

Same with Apple and iOS. These app numbers mean nothing when 95% of the apps are junk or trying to do something better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
So I am currently an Android user, but looking to switch to my first WP.
Also I love the fact that when I went into a Verizon store they were trying to steer me away from a WP, but they had nothing to say except the app store is small.
I got a tired of my Droid RAZr then actually stepped back to my RAZr V3 flip phone (still works don't have the heart to give it up)

I jumped into the WP game after seeing and playing with my neighbors Go-Phone.
Browsed thru the WP appstore and found a lot of intriguing items and looked at app reviews.

When I surfed the reviews for Winphones the old "appstore is lacking" tag kept popping up everywhere.
As a potential new user I didn't give the appstore a second thought.

Looks to me like Windows Phones are just a victim of an internet buzztag "not many apps in the appstore" IMO just an automatic response when speaking of the Windows phone.
This user likes apps, yet is in no way an appnut.
I judge the Windows Phone appstore more of a new adventure versus lacking.

Have fun with the 929 if you get one!

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I got a tired of my Droid RAZr then actually stepped back to my RAZr V3 flip phone (still works don't have the heart to give it up)

I jumped into the WP game after seeing and playing with my neighbors Go-Phone.
Browsed thru the WP appstore and found a lot of intriguing items and looked at app reviews.

When I surfed the reviews for Winphones the old "appstore is lacking" tag kept popping up everywhere.
As a potential new user I didn't give the appstore a second thought.

Looks to me like Windows Phones are just a victim of an internet buzztag "not many apps in the appstore" IMO just an automatic response when speaking of the Windows phone.
This user likes apps, yet is in no way an appnut.
I judge the Windows Phone appstore more of a new adventure versus lacking.

Have fun with the 929 if you get one!

I agree. Although there absolutely was a time when WP had very little support from big brands and such, but the biggest problem (to me) right now is the lack of updates for existing apps to match the feature sets of their iOS and Android equivalents. It's a bit frustrating that development for all 3 operating systems for each company's apps are either done by different teams, or they just put WP off because they know there are less people using it, and won't get a huge wave of complaints loud enough to matter, if they hold off on updates to their WP apps.

And of course, there's the fact that Microsoft is developing the official apps because the real developers of the apps won't do it, themselves, like Facebook.

So the number of apps increasing and the number of BIG, important, common apps have been increasing and that's a really good sign. And I agree people are "off" on their remarks that WP has "no apps" even though it's still quite a bit behind. It DOES have most of the major apps, just still lacks real dedication to get it on par with iOS and Android counterparts.

Sorry for the rambling! Didn't mean to make this post as long as I did.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)