Do unlocked Lumias receive system updates faster than carrier models?

Campater

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Hello - this is my first post on WPC :eek:rly: Here's a question: would an unlocked 1020 receive system updates like GDR3 and Lumia Black more quickly than carrier locked ones, because there would be no networking testing/ approval to go through? My 1020 is currently locked to Three (a UK network) and it recently occurred to me that carrier approval could delay release of the GDR3 and Black for who knows how long after their official release "early next year". Really not keen on months of further delay. Also, is there any meaningful difference here between used-to-be-locked and factory unlocked Lumias in speed of access to system updates?
Any info gratefully received :cool:

Alienhead95

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
In theory, you are correct. But I think (not sure) during the amber release some carrier got the update first.
But the logic is correct, no carrier in between means less testing and earlier release.
The difference between used to be locked and factory unlocked is, the used to be locked is a carrier branded phone.
It is sim unlocked(any sim card will work) but when it comes to updates, it will still be at the mercy/ schedule of the carrier. But the factory unlocked phone, will receive updates directly from Nokia.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Factory unlocked phones gets the first update when it is released in the country to which the model belongs
Carries, hmm, they moan and cry a lot before releasing an update filled with their useless crapware, atleast a few good months after the generic update is available.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Well in the case of Nokia Black for the 1020 nope...otherwise I would have to say international models/factory unlocked models get updates faster

gerke

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
In the netherlands, the carrier locked phones received the amber update before the non carrier ones, in germany also

Sent from my Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

Campater

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
In the netherlands, the carrier locked phones received the amber update before the non carrier ones, in germany also

Really?? That's interesting. I was under the impression that carrier approval slowed down the release of updates

gerke

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Nope, every carrier has to approve the update. First their branded one. Because Tmobile was last, the unbranded version of amber delayed 3 weeks for my lumia 620 after vodafone released it :-(

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Typically yes, especially if you cite the infamous wait period for the Lumia 920 to receive the Amber update as a reference. However, in a surprise move, AT&T and Nokia began pushing out Lumia Black + Update 3 (for those not participating in the Developer Preview Program) yesterday. No one saw it coming, Christmas miracle, perhaps?

Anyways, I believe that means AT&T Lumia 1020s were the receive the update officially. No idea if the trend will continue, however. After all, this is the first OS update + firmware update since the 1020's launch, so only time will tell. So, ignoring this surprise turn of events, as a general rule: international models (aka: unbranded) typically receive updates sooner. Unlocking won't help, as the device will still be branded with that carrier's ROM, and therefore still at the mercy of that carrier.

Campater

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Nope, every carrier has to approve the update. First their branded one. Because Tmobile was last, the unbranded version of amber delayed 3 weeks for my lumia 620 after vodafone released it :-(

Are you saying carriers approve system updates even for unbranded, factory unlocked models??

Campater

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Typically yes, especially if you cite the infamous wait period for the Lumia 920 to receive the Amber update as a reference. However, in a surprise move, AT&T and Nokia began pushing out Lumia Black + Update 3 (for those not participating in the Developer Preview Program) yesterday. No one saw it coming, Christmas miracle, perhaps?

Anyways, I believe that means AT&T Lumia 1020s were the receive the update officially. No idea if the trend will continue, however. After all, this is the first OS update + firmware update since the 1020's launch, so only time will tell. So, ignoring this surprise turn of events, as a general rule: international models (aka: unbranded) typically receive updates sooner. Unlocking won't help, as the device will still be branded with that carrier's ROM, and therefore still at the mercy of that carrier.

Thanks for the information. Does that also apply to unlocked models which have been flashed with an unbranded ROM?

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the information. Does that also apply to unlocked models which have been flashed with an unbranded ROM?

I don't think so. I think if you flash with an unbranded ROM, or you flash with a ROM from a carrier already pushing your desired update, then you can nab it whether your carrier has approved it or not. But I don't dabble with such affairs, so I recommend getting a second opinion on that one.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I actually just swap Sims - to the carrier pushing out the update - to get it ( did this for the 920 - uk unlocked). Actually, do the same thing with my bb's also.

I've got gddr3 via the dev preview but no black, as yet. There used to be a way of getting the latest Nokia rom - navifirm or something... Don't know if that still works... Sometimes the uk updates are slow :-/

Campater

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I actually just swap Sims - to the carrier pushing out the update - to get it ( did this for the 920 - uk unlocked). Actually, do the same thing with my bb's also.

I've got gddr3 via the dev preview but no black, as yet. There used to be a way of getting the latest Nokia rom - navifirm or something... Don't know if that still works... Sometimes the uk updates are slow :-/

Interesting idea, thanks

Campater

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't think so. I think if you flash with an unbranded ROM, or you flash with a ROM from a carrier already pushing your desired update, then you can nab it whether your carrier has approved it or not. But I don't dabble with such affairs, so I recommend getting a second opinion on that one.

Thanks. I'm getting mixed views on this one!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos