Going From 920 to 1020. Setup Issue

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
So, we got a new 1020 (thanks to M$ and their 12 Days of Deals for $0). Wife is letting me use it and she'll take the 920. I'm trying to set up the 1020. When I go to add my Microsoft Account, it tells me either my username or password is incorrect. Now, a few things:

I have 2-factor authentication enabled on my account. Would that matter?
I can log in anywhere else with my credentials, and I'm ok.

Is there anything else I should be checking or do I need to disable 2-factor authentication in order to make it my primary on the new device to sync my info?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry, but I can't help you when you refer to the company that saved you a lot of money on your phone as M$

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Wow, someone either bored or just had nothing better to say? It's a legit question and if you're offended, then that sounds like a personal issue. For your information, I have over a dozen MICROSOFT products and am a huge supporter, so if me typing M$ says that I have a negative impression of the company in your mind, then you might want to move along.

Thanks for wasting my time by having to justify my support of the company.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
When using 2-factor authentication, You have to log into your MS account website and generate an app password to use on Windows phone and if you switch phones, you have to generate a new password. I gave up on 2-factor authentication, though. It was too much of a hassle as too many things didn't support it.

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I actually use the Authenticator app to generate a code, but I don't believe it gives me the option to use the 2 Factor authentication. So basically what you're saying is that I probably should disable? I was hoping someone else may have run across this and found a way around. I guess it shouldn't be too difficult once disabled. Thanks for your feedback on the authentication though.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
From what I understand, the authenticator app is to generate security codes for verification to add a trusted device, similar to how it can be done via e-mail or text message message. The two-step verification also uses these codes for verification if you are logging in with your regular password, but Windows Phone doesn't natively support two-step verification so the only thing you can do is generate an app password via the account.live.com website. Of course, disabling 2-step verification will solve the issue but if you want to use it with Windows phone, you need the generated password, not an authentication code. My issue is that I was having difficulty with the Skydrive app both on my Windows Phone and my iPad so I gave up on it and just disabled the 2-step. Maybe someone else has some more insight on this? I am curious as well if there is a better solution and if anyone has gotten the Skydrive app to work with a generated password.

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
My SkyDrive was working swimmingly. I didn't have any issues up until today. And yeah, I disabled the 2-step and it worked fine. So, now it's just a matter of setting it up and making sure all of my apps are there and then I can transfer the 920 to the wife. I wish that I could have kept the 2-factor as I liked the extra security, but oh well. I'll re-enable it again sometime.

MJThib

Mar 1, 2007
Visit site
You do not have to disable two-factor authentication, you just need to create an app specific password to use for you Windows Phone Microsoft Account. You set up the app password on you live account security info page (same place you turn on and off the two-factor authentication). Just below the two-factor authentication is the app password section. The app passwords are required for older systems and devices that do not yet support the two-factor authentication, like Windows Phone, Xbox, etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb