Will Updating my nokia lumia 520 to WP8.1 OS slow my phone??

Luis Forkey

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking of buying a nokia lumia 520...i was concerned about updating...like once WP8.1 is out...and i update it..
1.Will it make my phone slow???...considering 512mb RAM....and i m sure more versions better than WP8.1 will be out...So will it make my phone slow????
2.IF i update to WP8.1,do i need to update all my apps too..or will it be automatically updated??

Thanx in advance....

r4v

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
You will have to find some fairies to get answers for that. Or someone from the future, in DeLorean or something.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
It has been said before, all devices running WP8 currently WILL get the next version of Windows Phone (i.e. 8.1) Microsoft would be stupid to ignore their own promise of support for WP8 devices until 2016 (of which then, they will release WP9 or something), plus also they said all devices are upgradable. Of course it'll be a little slower on a 520 than say a 1520, but WP being WP it shouldn't be too noticable ala iOS

Luis Forkey

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
@jojoe42...well i just hope it doesnt make my phone too slow to operate that would be really frustrating...Hope so...
@r4v....lol true enough....but just need to be sure....before i go for Windows phone....
@stui83...well actually lumia 525 isnt launched yet in my country..plus it might not suit my budget..so Lumia 520 is good for me :D

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I doubt they would release an update if it would make the phone slow. I think its pretty safe to say, if 8.1 is released for your device, it will probably run ok.

WP bread and butter is how smooth it runs, after all.

Luis Forkey

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
@Blacklac....Actually WP is just developing so...just had a doubt in my mind...Because once its updated...its very difficult to revert back....:D

Luigi Lop

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
It has been said before, all devices running WP8 currently WILL get the next version of Windows Phone (i.e. 8.1) Microsoft would be stupid to ignore their own promise of support for WP8 devices until 2016 (of which then, they will release WP9 or something), plus also they said all devices are upgradable. Of course it'll be a little slower on a 520 than say a 1520, but WP being WP it shouldn't be too noticable ala iOS
since wp has ram quotas for apps, they can't allow themselves to increase ram usage on 512 devices. this will mean either a very optimized and fast system/service(even better for us 920/ativ s users)

Ahmed Hassan7

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't think that the phone will be slower because of the RAM the WP OS is a really lightweight OS that can run on less RAM than that also note that Lumia 720 and 620 has the same RAM amount and basically the same processor so if it is going to hurt the Lumia 520 in any way it will hurt the other two devices as well (including Lumia 625) meaning a lot of people being unhappy and leaving the platform so I think 8.1 will be optimized to run smoothly on Lumia 520

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I think it will be optimized but more RAM will make difference. Because apps won't close when you will press back button but will be frozen in RAM. So more RAM will mean more open apps so less loading times. That is what I think.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 820 using Tapatalk

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Finished my first day with 8.1 and resuming of apps feels faster than it did on 8.0.
No complaints with speed at all.

JCassio

May 17, 2014
Visit site
I have already updated my Lumia 520 to Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview this week, but after a hard reset, the fast wp 8.1 system became too slow... What may have happened?

Thanks in advance!

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it feels any different in terms of speed. But yes, a hard reset is recommended. But be careful before you update. Look at all the issues other people (myself included) have had.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Get 525 or 630, no point in getting 520 anymore
I've had a 520 approaching 2 months now, no issues to speak of.
There is nothing wrong with the 520 unless you're a gamer or need infinite amount of apps.

The 520 is pretty much the cheapest windows phone you can get. That's reason enough for a lot of people to keep using it.

JD89

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
My Lumia 520 has become unbearably slow since moving to WP 8.1
It takes minutes to load artists in the music app and the overall phone is extremely sluggish.

Using the PC to build out the SD Card is a painstaking task. The interface is extremely slow and adding things to the SD card via the phone take forever.

Very disappointed compared with the upgrade speeds I saw with my 1020.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99