Strange Lumia 520 battery issue

Sid61

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Since having GDR3 on my 520 there have been no problems until yesterday.

My battery suddenly drained very quickly and now will not charge or boot up, all I get is a screen like this:

faulty battery.jpg

But the strange part is that if I put this battery in my old phone, a Nokia 5800, this boots and charges fine.

If I put the Nokia 5800 battery in the Lumia 520 then that boots and charges!

I have done a hard reset of the 520 and its original battery still does not work even though it works fine in the 5800.

Any ideas what is causing this?

Cheewii Poon

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi Sid!

I'm not exactly sure the root of this problem is, but may I ask if you have stopped using your 520 for relatively long amount of time before? (eg. 2 weeks)

This might not be the case, for you, but when my Lumia 720 was sent in for servicing and they forgot to inform me that my device was ready for collection, it was left there about 25 days, and when I got it back I got the same problem as you. Later when I brought it back the staff told me the battery voltage had dropped due to it not being used for a long period of time, and that they had to take the battery out and charge it externally for it to work again. I'm not sure this is the same problem you're experiencing, because my phone has a integrated battery that is not removable. However it could be that case, which means that it works in your old phone because that requires a lower voltage to power on/run.

This is a very bad and unacceptable problem that I never knew existed before (especially since 25 days is not long at all), but it seems I can't do anything about it, and it sucks that I won't be able to come back to my phone if I switch to a new phone.

In any case you should try to send it back (whether to Nokia Care or your carrier) and see if they can charge the battery externally/do other things about it. Good luck!

Sid61

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi Cheewii
Thanks for your reply.
No my Lumia 520 has been in continual use.
When the battery is put in the 5800 it charges fully but still doesn't work in the 520

Sent from my RM-914_eu_euro1_327 using Tapatalk

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Have you inspected the connector pins? It sounds like one of the pins isn't making contact. Could be either the phone or battery side. Try taking a look at them and see if anything looks borked.

Sid61

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi badcat
Thanks for your help, that seems to have been the problem.
There was no obvious damage to the contacts on the battery. However I squeezed the contacts together more and now it works.
The connector pins on the 5800 must be slightly wider and so were making good contact with the battery but the 520's, being a bit thinner, weren't.
Thanks for the suggestion, because I could see no obvious damage I didn't give it much thought.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi badcat
Thanks for your help, that seems to have been the problem.
There was no obvious damage to the contacts on the battery. However I squeezed the contacts together more and now it works.
The connector pins on the 5800 must be slightly wider and so were making good contact with the battery but the 520's, being a bit thinner, weren't.
Thanks for the suggestion, because I could see no obvious damage I didn't give it much thought.
Awesome! I figured it was worth a try. Glad it worked for you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte