Keeping screen active

tinewton

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm struggling with a really basic function here.

I use my phone in the car, held in a cradle, to play music. It is connected to the In-car stereo via the headphone socket/audio input jack plug in the car.

The screen keeps powering off even though the music player is active.

I understand that (for some reason) Microsoft has chosen 5 minutes as the longest I am allowed to keep my phone on when it's idle, but surely if it's doing something, I must be able to keep it on while its playing?

Have I missed something really obvious?

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Though you don't mention which region you're in, under settings > lockscreen in my L920, it has the option to change screen timeout times from 30 sec upto never.
Is it not the same in yours?

Jf.Vigor

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Though you don't mention which region you're in, under settings > lockscreen in my L920, it has the option to change screen timeout times from 30 sec upto never.
Is it not the same in yours?
Yeah I remember my old windows phone having never but for some reason with the 1520 it maxes out at 5 mins

tinewton

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Apologies, I'm in the UK, but under Settings/Lockscreen, I only have 30 seconds, 1 minute, 3 minutes or 5 minutes.

I hope i'm just missing something obvious, because this could be a deal-breaker.

I've moved from an iPhone, but so far, all i've found is things I can't do.

I can't import favourites from my computer, I can't set a countdown timer (again, because the screen is off, and the phone then doesn't activate the alarm), and now it seems I would need to keep waking my phone up every 5 minutes whilst driving.

i love the size of this phone's screen, but it's gonna have to go back if it can't do such simple things :-(

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes it's carrier and region related too.
I seem to remember hearing that some US models are set that way.
WP is an odd closed system and some things you can do in Windows, you can't do on there phones. Odd, I know.

tinewton

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Oh dear, so do you think I'm really not going to be able to keep the screen on?

I mean does it turn off during videos? or SatNav for instance? Or does it just not like music? I've not gone that far into it yet, but I'm starting to think it's just too restricted. And I can't believe i'm saying that having been using a non-jailbroken iPhone for my last device!!

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't timeout during video playback or navigation.

EDIT: Also, it's probably something that will be changed. It was the same way with my L920 I got on launch day in US with AT&T. Originally 5 minutes was the max timeout duration for the lock screen. After an update, it changed to allow you to set it for higher, even up to never timing out.

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Thing is, after a year I've kinda gotten used to it.
I just got an iPad last month and it amazes me to see how much support it has.
With WP8, we're kinda at MS's mercy. And developers too.
The Lumia Black firmware, which is on your phone, was meant to cure some of the OS's misgivings.
Maybe if you read up on other regional 1520's, you'll find the screenout feature to be different.
Are you on AT&T by any chance?

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Gotta admit, that 5 minute limit gets kinda annoying after a while, although not nearly as annoying as the Lock Screen/Play Controls flicking off after only a few seconds.

Maybe they're worried about people with Amoled screens burning them in with an always on display. Either way, i'd at least like the 'Never' option there.

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Gotta admit, that 5 minute limit gets kinda annoying after a while, although not nearly as annoying as the Lock Screen/Play Controls flicking off after only a few seconds.

Maybe they're worried about people with Amoled screens burning them in with an always on display. Either way, i'd at least like the 'Never' option there.

I agree, with both points (never option and music controls). Hated how quickly the music controls disappeared since my L920 and miss the never option from my L920.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo