Lumia Black and Battery Drain

TemjinC

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Ever since the Lumia Black update, I have noticed significant amount of battery drain while not doing anything.

This morning I woke up after 8 hours of sleep and removed my 1020 from charging plate, the phone was warm. That means it was charging the whole 8 hours.

I removed the phone and restarted it, turned off glance screen (location off) and did not use it until 3PM (3 hours after being removed from charging plate) and the battery gauge is already below 50%.

Anyone else encountering this issue?

deannah2

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Yes, was fully charged yesterday and not used. Update occurred last evening, phone turned off afterward, not used today and see it's now at 48.

anon(5326758)

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I had this problem too. Had to reboot and then put it in airplane mode and let it charge back to full. Not sure what did it, but now I'm back to what it was like before.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Yucks. Ain't Black suppose to improve the battery consumption? What's happening now? I'm having second thoughts now when Black is available for my country.

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I've been noticing quite a mix of battery life performance on my end. I'm not sure yet whether it's improved or worsened. I am trying a number of common fixes though (uninstalling apps I don't use, removing stuck live tiles, etc).

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Try formatting your phone and then see...i think when ever we install new firmware we shld reset our phones back to factory setting and delete everything if u want your phone to work perfect

Sent from my Nokia 1020 RM-875_im_india_230 using Tapatalk

Divjot Singh

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Let it drain completely till phone is entirely dead , charge it again to 100% and don't use phone in between and then see if battery life improves (battery drain of anything above 10% / hr is unacceptable for idle-subtle usage) [920 user here with WhatsApp , Instagram , Facebook , Weave News , Bing Weather , Twitter , myTube , Gmail synced every hour and couple other apps running in background and Location Service + WiFi on almost always -> at least 10hr of usage,ie if i charge it in morning and use it till midnight , but if i charge it at night and leave it as is , then I get 20hrs , the extra 10 come coz of almost no drop of battery throughout the night]

TemjinC

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Phone was fully charged and went to sleep. Woke up 6 hours later with 25% battery left. Battery Saver turned on still drained, turned off WiFi/Bluetooth still drains. Turned on Airplane Mode and it still drains. The Camera Housing was warm to the touch. I noticed my mailbox gets stuck, can't compose/select/sync etc.

Westoncreg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I had this problem with the latest update for the 1520, what worked for me was to let the phone die and then it was working fine again but my problem was more with getting it to charge as fast as it was pre update. I'd still give it a try if I were you though

TemjinC

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I had this problem with the latest update for the 1520, what worked for me was to let the phone die and then it was working fine again but my problem was more with getting it to charge as fast as it was pre update. I'd still give it a try if I were you though

Weird that in theory soft reset and shut down should do it. I will let my phone die and charge it up.

TemjinC

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Bingo. Your email is constantly trying to sync.

If you can, delete them and try to add them again. If you cant, you may have to wipe the phone and try.

Nope that's not it. After I reset the email works fine. The battery drains even with battery saver and airplane mode on.

giffis

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
After Black update I got 24hrs battery, for me 8 to 14hrs was the normal. And next day night I fully charged and battery went below 20% in the morning on Wi-Fi. That was unusual. I installed some Google drive app before that. So I uninstalled it and also removed Gmail from mail client. Used Gmail forward to my outlook id. Now battery life much better than before black update itself.

TemjinC

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
After Black update I got 24hrs battery, for me 8 to 14hrs was the normal. And next day night I fully charged and battery went below 20% in the morning on Wi-Fi. That was unusual. I installed some Google drive app before that. So I uninstalled it and also removed Gmail from mail client. Used Gmail forward to my outlook id. Now battery life much better than before black update itself.
I will try detach Google Mailbox...

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I know many of you will already know this but as this is still a very new phone and some of us have only had it a couple of weeks, give the battery a chance to stabalize. Bateries do not reach their full capacity until there have been around 8 or 9 charge and drain cycles. Some say its only a couple but from my personal experience it takes around 8 or 9, maybe 10.

Also, "double tap to wake up" also increases battery consumption. Try turning that off. As nice as it is, it does put a strain on the battery as the digitizer thing whatever its called is constantly active. Double tap to wake up is turned on by default.

TemjinC

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I know many of you will already know this but as this is still a very new phone and some of us have only had it a couple of weeks, give the battery a chance to stabalize. Bateries do not reach their full capacity until there have been around 8 or 9 charge and drain cycles. Some say its only a couple but from my personal experience it takes around 8 or 9, maybe 10.

Also, "double tap to wake up" also increases battery consumption. Try turning that off. As nice as it is, it does put a strain on the battery as the digitizer thing whatever its called is constantly active. Double tap to wake up is turned on by default.

I had mine one week after the US launch. By having airplane mode and battery saver on still drains 3-4% every 30 minutes is far from normal.

Tim J Meyer

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I will confirm that Gmail is causing battery drain due to some sort of loop it get stuck in trying to sync endlessly. My 1520 would barely even charge due to this. I deleted Gmail, forwarded it to my outlook.com email and now all is well again.

TemjinC

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I will confirm that Gmail is causing battery drain due to some sort of loop it get stuck in trying to sync endlessly. My 1520 would barely even charge due to this. I deleted Gmail, forwarded it to my outlook.com email and now all is well again.

Wasn't the cause in my issue, with battery saver mode on nothing would sync or get pushed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss