"USB not recognized" when connecting 1020 to 8.1

mjindustry

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I have been having this problem for awhile and it really has put the mallow on my 1020 experience. I still love it, but have to get all creative when trying to dump pics n videos from my phone.

What works: I can hook to my wifes laptop and she runs windows 8

I run windows 8.1 and it doesn't recognize. I cannot quite remember if I was having this issue just before going to 8.1...or if it was immediately after.

Any idears out there?

:eek:rly:

Attachments

• Fullscreen capture 12222013 12023 PM.jpg
    Fullscreen capture 12222013 12023 PM.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 154

bradhicks

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
All I can suggest is maybe try uninstalling the device drivers for you phone on the 8.1 machine and then reinstalling.

I can confirm that I use my 1020 on Windows 8.1 and don't have any issues...

mjindustry

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Okay, no go. I cannot connect my 1020 to my laptop running 8.1, nor my other running 8.0.
This is really crap-tastic. I haven't been able to retrieve videos and photos for months from my phone. It's why I bought it. Any recommendations?

Skydrive is out as the only connection I have available is my ATT data plan. Which I love, but video transfers would be too much.

I'm not near good wifi ever, so I need to be able to transfer with USB and it just will not connect.

Have tried multiple USB cords (both authentic 1020 cords)
Have tried two computers (as listed above)

One last thing...why in the world could we not have a chance at uploading to an XP machine? I talked my son in to taking the plunge on a 1020 same as me. Turns out he will need a new PC to get to his vids and pics. Cannot upgrade to 8, cannot connect WP Nokia 1020 to XP.

Starting to get :angry: with these 1020's

Strangis

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Although I haven't run into this with my 1020 (works inWin7 and 8.1), a coworker had thos problem with his ATIV and Windows 7. It appeared as an unknown device, so he uninstalled the driver in Device Manager (appeared as unknown device), rebooted both his phone and PC, and had no problems after that.

This is one of the suggestions MS makes in a thread about it as well... take a look and see if any of this helps...

Windows Phone 8 is not detected by your computer

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
To add to this conversation...

What sometimes happens with a usb mass storage device, which is what your phone is connecting to the computer as, is during the first attempt to connect, it can get corrupted and show as an unknown device. This will register in the registry and each time connected, will show as the same. I use to have to remove the instance from the registry, then reboot, and reconnect. What Strangis suggested sometimes works, but unfortunately, more times than not, that will not always suffice.

Also, you've tried it on a couple of machines. I know the odds aren't likely that it did it on both, but it's possible. Obviously, this is just a theory based upon what I've run into in my IT hardware career, but it's the most likely.

giffis

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
USB issue can be resolved by many options..
Just disable and enable USB root hub in device manager... 20% chance to get resolved.
Update device driver...
connect phone to the computer and restart the phone... this should solve most of the time...

eoDroidUser

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I know it's of no help to you, but I'm having a similar issue. I have a Lumia 1520 (with the 8.1 developer preview) that I'm trying to connect to my windows 8.1 laptop. It appears that three usb drivers load successfully but one driver does not (my phone shows up under Other Devices). What really sucks is that it used to connect successfully. I don't know if it's the developer preview on the phone or something I've loaded on my laptop that's messed things up. I've tried all the suggestions I've found, including those on this thread but no luck. Very frustrating! .

atherosxd

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
have this issue also but my suspect is the port on my phone which is most likely be damage. (the authentic one works with transfer but most of the time the problem on not recognize. others cables are no luck for me

Last edited:

potatopower

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I was having the same issues. The phone would get recognised some times, other times not.
Ended up taking it to a Nokia care centre where they replaced the whole back panel along with the USB input port. Works fine now :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett