Lumia 1520 Voice Recognition

QOAM

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
i used voice for many things on my iphone. On my Lumia it is horrible. On the iphone i could say ''period'' or ''comma'' or ''question mark'' and the phone would punctuate. The Lumia writes the words. The Lumia also censors my posts. I said something ''pisses me off.'' The Lumia wrote ''$**&@# me off.'' That's crazy. on the iphone i could say the words George Carlin said you can't say on television and the iphone wasn't censoring any of them. F-word included ...Maybe i should try to censor myself sometimes but i paid $700 for my phone and don't want it deciding those things for me. Also for this money it should write a dot when i say period. :angry:

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Huh I don't remember my Lumia 900 censoring me like that, but I could be wrong. The 1520 though does indeed do the censoring. I'll mention that to someone.

Jerrycw

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Happens on my international version as well. Which genius in Microsoft comes up with this idea. I totally understand why they want to censor swearing on Xbox (which I don't agree), but on a phone ? Before I buy a windows phone I certainly aware of the limitation on WP as an OS, but never thought they would censor languages, which can appear in TV and movies, but just not on a Microsoft phone

Tech friend

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Happens on my international version as well. Which genius in Microsoft comes up with this idea. I totally understand why they want to censor swearing on Xbox (which I don't agree), but on a phone ? Before I buy a windows phone I certainly aware of the limitation on WP as an OS, but never thought they would censor languages, which can appear in TV and movies, but just not on a Microsoft phone
Microsoft has the audacity to censor the phraseology of its users, our wording used in our private communication?

Who is that person at Microsoft, who decides for hundreds of thousands of adults what formulation they have to avoid?

Looking at it from this aspect Microsoft puts Chinese/Iranian circumstances into practice, congratulations. I am highly indignant about that situation.

So again, $**&@# Microsoft.

Happens on my international version as well.
Thank you very much, Jerrycw, for this information, very much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
What you shouldn't say in public the Voice command app will remove. I like it. I don't understand why Microsoft has taken it upon themselves to decide what gets removed. It opens them up to some public ridicule. As a moderator on this forum we have to remove offensive commentary all of the time. In our moderator situation we have a rule base to refer to when a member doesn't like being censored. What Microsoft should do is make public a set of user rules that way people know what to expect.

IMHO... There is nothing wrong with Microsoft taking a stand for public morality. This is one reason I am Windows Phone fan. Remember if you need to use the F-word you can always type it yourself. It only becomes censorship when you are blocked from the act. You are not.

Tech friend

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
What you shouldn't say in public the Voice command app will remove.
The Voice command app does not remove what you shouldn't say in public. The Voice command app does remove what Microsoft thinks you shouldn't say. Are we approaching a society in which a consortium of private companies (maybe Microsoft, Apple, Facebook and why not also Amazon, Walmart etc) decides on which kind of language is suitable for our private communication?

I don't understand why Microsoft has taken it upon themselves to decide what gets removed. It opens them up to some public ridicule.

I do hope that you don't mean me with that comment, since my posts weren't ridiculing. My statements expressed my concern about Microsoft's arrogation to infringe civil rights to communicate how we would like to within given legal limits.

As a moderator on this forum we have to remove offensive commentary all of the time.

The difference is that this forum IS public, accessible world-wide. Private communication via your smartphone isn't.

IMHO... There is nothing wrong with Microsoft taking a stand for public morality.

Microsoft doesn't take a stand for public morality and nothing would qualify or entitle them to do so. Since you are approving Microsoft's censorship: Why not expand that kind of snooping into people's private way of life to the Windows computer OS with the same argument? If it is for "public morality" (I didn't know that Microsoft is the authority to define what this is): How about to block emails containing strong language? Just as an example.. A talk with people living in totalitarian regimes in which moral guardians control them might be helpful to understand the far-reaching scale of Microsoft's behaviour.

Remember if you need to use the F-word you can always type it yourself. It only becomes censorship when you are blocked from the act.

You are subject to censorship as soon as the (technical) system prerequisites for censorship have been created/established. You won't find any obscenity in my language, by the way.

What Microsoft should do is make public a set of user rules that way people know what to expect.

And especially they should make it possible to deactivate that censorship function.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I think the Tell Me voice recognition service is fantastic! it seems to be fast and really accurate except for punctuation. I use it all the time for text messages especially when driving and connected to my Bluetooth. It reads the message and I can reply all without taking my eyes off the road!! As far as the censorship is concerned, when you use voice recognition to send a text or search, it has to go through Microsoft's servers first. I'm not defending them, but they are their servers and they can do with them as they please.

So, on an iDevice, when you actually had to spell out question mark or period, would it display the symbol or spell it out??

QOAM

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
So, on an iDevice, when you actually had to spell out question mark or period, would it display the symbol or spell it out??

When texting on the iDevice when I came to the end of a sentence I would say "period" or "question mark" and it would type ? or a dot .. same for comma .. With windows phone you have to come to a stop and maybe or maybe not it will insert the period or question mark. Also, iPhone voice recognition is better and understanding .. here is a weird EXAMPLE. Today I was texting to my brother about seeing this HUGE Palmetto bug in my bedroom. Twice it spelled Palmetto bug.Then after a little bit of other texting I said something else about the Palmetto bug (ugh, Florida) it typed "Paul Meadow bug" ..That was very funny. I didn't change it ... I was testing out some other voice recognition programs. One that was funny typed <vulgarity> whatever <vulgarity> I will probably buy and use that because it is hysterical. Don't get me wrong. I don't have to say F .. but if I do, I don't want it to type #**$ ... or whatever .. That looks childish .. Between the &#***$ stuff and the other one <vulgarity> windows phone people won't be doing much, if any, sexting ..

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Tell Me is serviceable and does the job although it's definitely not perfect. That being said, I'm really looking forward for the upcoming Cortana voice assistant.

QOAM

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
"The Voice command app does not remove what you shouldn't say in public. The Voice command app does remove what Microsoft thinks you shouldn't say. Are we approaching a society in which a consortium of private companies (maybe Microsoft, Apple, Facebook and why not also Amazon, Walmart etc) decides on which kind of language is suitable for our private communication?"

It's been a long long time but I am reminded of the movie "1984 .. " Will there come a time when they can bleep 4 letter words that a person might say over the phone? Or will there come a time when you can't say anything negative about Microsoft? Don't get me wrong .. I love the Windows8 phone and Nokia .. I don't have a filthy mouth, but I will call cr@p, cr@p if it is cr@p ... As it is I am already censoring myself using that word. I remember in the long ago an email wouldn't make it through AOL's filters if one AOL user complained to another AOL user about AOL. It's not only Microsoft though. Android censors text also, but iPhone doesn't.

mitsuyager9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just remember that the Cortana update is coming out with 8.1 I believe (tell me if I'm talking out of my ***). I only use the voice feature for calling a number when I'm driving so It works great for my needs.

Tech friend

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
"The Voice command app does not remove what you shouldn't say in public. The Voice command app does remove what Microsoft thinks you shouldn't say. Are we approaching a society in which a consortium of private companies (maybe Microsoft, Apple, Facebook and why not also Amazon, Walmart etc) decides on which kind of language is suitable for our private communication?"

It's been a long long time but I am reminded of the movie "1984 .. " Will there come a time when they can bleep 4 letter words that a person might say over the phone? Or will there come a time when you can't say anything negative about Microsoft? Don't get me wrong .. I love the Windows8 phone and Nokia .. I don't have a filthy mouth, but I will call cr@p, cr@p if it is cr@p ... As it is I am already censoring myself using that word. I remember in the long ago an email wouldn't make it through AOL's filters if one AOL user complained to another AOL user about AOL. It's not only Microsoft though. Android censors text also, but iPhone doesn't.
^^ Thanks.

Glad to see that at least a few ones do understand what is happening here.

I will never understand how someone who is subject to censorship can on top of that happily applaud his censor and feel well, even if the censorship complies with his own ideas.

But wait, I forgot: it's for the public morality, defined by a technology firm that gave itself authorization for this measure - moral education at its best, isn't it?.

A free person, living in a democracy - censored by Microsoft. WOW!

And you are right: it's not only Microsoft...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb