Lumia 928 "Soft-White" display color (yellow tint)

Donald Burr

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I was comparing my 928's display to a friends Apple 5s and was really thrown when his display was so much brighter and whiter. We looked a the same videos and Amazon's Kindle (which is where you really see it). The video on my 928 had a yellowish cast compared to his screen and when placed side to side the video on the 928 was no where near as clear or vibrant as the 5s. The kindle was where I really saw the difference. On the 5s the kindle screen was really page-white the text sharp against the background while the 928's background was a soft-white with a slight yellowish cast, so the contrast was no where near as appealing, the text was far easier to read on the 5s. The comparison in color rendering is like the difference between a soft-while light bulb (2700k) and a "daylight" light bulb (5000k - 6500k)

Afterwards I compared the screen to a photo white-balance 5000k card and clearly saw the difference. Now all I can see is the dim yellowish cast.

Has anyone noticed this, or is there an issue with my display?

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Is display settings is Lumia profile color temperature set adjusted to the cool ( whiter white) or warm (yellow tint) ?
You might have to play with that slider to render what you like to see as white.

Also turn OFF automatically adjust in brightness setting for a brighter display.

Donald Burr

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Ah... It was set to neutral.. which really is NOT very neutral and the warm is... well terrible.
I have set to cool and increased the color saturation a bit.

I did not notice this setting, good call...

Thank You
I will test and report my findings as this may help others.

I had already turned off the auto brightness.

Donald Burr

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Update: Set to "cool" and compared it to the Apple 5s and White Balance Card and it is STILL a dull off white when compared to the card and the very brilliant white 5s screen. Love the phone BUT now that I have seen the difference it is really noticeable to me. Argh... I would ask anyone with a Nokia 928 (or other Lumia) to look at an app that displays a lot of white space and compare that white to the Apple 4 or 5 and see if you also see the rather startling difference.

anon(8122517)

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
My lumia is also showing slightly yellowish color it is not displaying full white color and when i compared to Lumia 525 and I found that there display is showing full white color. Is it a display problem then suggest any solution for it.

Jason Drum

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I noticed this last night setting up my wife's new Icon. Changing display settings does seem to make it a little better, but not like the Icon.

JobSteves

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
The 928 has an amoled display. The 5S doesn't. This means the the 928 will have inkier blacks but more yellow whites.
Sent from my Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos