Default Installing Apps to microSD Card?

Roman Smith

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
On my new 1520 I have a 64gb microSD card, but I can't find a setting to make my phone default to installing apps to it. The phone storage is really small, so I want my apps to install to the microSD card. How do I change this?

Roman Smith

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Wait, what?? That's ridiculous! I only have about 10GB of space on the phone itself, this is why I even bought an SD card. Isn't there some sort of workaround?

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I dont get this need to install apps to sd card. How many apps people have?

I install everything to phones memory and rest I have on the SD (music, photos, videos...)

From the 16gb of my internal memory I have many gigs left after 8 months without hard reset.

You have 10gb, what are you going to install?

Roman Smith

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I dont get this need to instal apps to sd card. How many apps people have?

I instal everything to phones memory and rest I have on the SD (music, photos, videos...)

From the 16gb of my internal memory I have many gigs left after 8 months without hard reset.

You have 10gb, what are you going to instal?
I install several games on my phone. WP8 is supposed to be "the smartphone reinvented around you", so why the heck won't they let me store apps the way I want to?

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I dont know is there a security side of it? But for sure there is also performance side.

Was this feature coming in WP8.1, I dont remember...

raccoon210

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
It was rumored to be coming in 8.1 but we'll see. The reasons they don't allow it is it would be easier to pirate and the performance could be compromised because SD cards are nowhere near as fast as internal storage. But everything else can be installed to it

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site

I install everything to phones memory and rest I have on the SD (music, photos, videos...)

If you have 8gb storage to start with then you will understand :(

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a 64 GB card with all my media stored on it and I have roughly 30 apps and games with a few 1 GB games installed (Halo:SA, Asphalt 8, Real Soccer) and I still have a little under 7 GB of storage remaining!

I really don't get what everyone is installing that would demand more space from your devices. The only real big space hoggers would be the 20mp raw photos, any videos taken in 1080p, and movies and all those would get stored on the SD card.

iOS doesn't have a sd card slot and stock Android doesn't allow you and even removed the feature to move apps to the sd card without rooting it.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Exactly.

I have 8.7gb free of the phones memory. I admit I dont have any big games installed, which has to be the reason for the need for such a huge internal memory. I have under a gig of maps on the phone, which could be moved to the card on Nokia phones. (I have interop unlocked Ativ S, and I could move them too, but on stock Ativ I dont think its possible)

Anyway, I think its rare that someone really needs over 16gb of internal memory (8gb is low, I agree, even though it seems it would be barely enough for me). You should look at 32gb device then I guess.

How many people buy 64gb iPhones as there is no sd slot on them? Arent those f****** expensive?

adarnellb

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
No disrespect to you but you are a light user. As a heavy user 16 GB of space is very light. I have run into the same issue. I had a 920 w/ 32 GB internal and upgraded to the 1520. I've been forced to uninstall several games to keep free memory space.

Jf.Vigor

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
No disrespect to you but you are a light user. As a heavy user 16 GB of space is very light. I have run into the same issue. I had a 920 w/ 32 GB internal and upgraded to the 1520. I've been forced to uninstall several games to keep free memory space.
ditto. Coming from a 920 user to a 1520, you run into walls pretty quickly

ReggieSmith

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Exactly.

I have 8.7gb free of the phones memory. I admit I dont have any big games installed, which has to be the reason for the need for such a huge internal memory. I have under a gig of maps on the phone, which could be moved to the card on Nokia phones. (I have interop unlocked Ativ S, and I could move them too, but on stock Ativ I dont think its possible)

Anyway, I think its rare that someone really needs over 16gb of internal memory (8gb is low, I agree, even though it seems it would be barely enough for me). You should look at 32gb device then I guess.

How many people buy 64gb iPhones as there is no sd slot on them? Arent those f****** expensive?

While I don't currently have issue with not being able to install apps to the SD card (I come from the land of rooted Androids) I am grateful for the SD card so that i can store pictures, videos & music there. I have a lot of music and tend to stay away from streaming unless I am on wifi. I know PLENTY of iPhone owners who constantly complain of having to juggle apps, music & pictures on their phones.

EpidemikE1

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

Well I have Audible and apparently it saves the Audiobooks to the built in storage. I had about 4-5 titles downloaded and at high quality and I was surprised when it took up about 8GB.

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes, exactly. It's not just apps that are restricted to internal storage only, it's also app private storage.

Audible is probably the most obvious and painful example of this restriction.

Bjfcm

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I am also a former 920 owner. I eagerly anticipated the 1520 and have not been disappointed . Initially I didn't see what all the fuss was about 16 GB vs 32 GB . Now that I have the device, I have a little regret due to Apps. I was under the impression that 16 GB would be enough and that I could load Apps to the Micro Card.

BOY, I must apologize to the whiners . I'm Not a " Gamer" but the screen and power ( not to mention Microsoft offering the $20 free App Card and Halo Spartan, Spiderman )literally Gobbled up storage space. I enjoy the option of selecting various apps and a cool game or 2. I'm currently at 2.3 GB of free space , and this is because I have removed apps and avoided installing apps that I wanted to try.

I hope 8.1 allows the installation of Apps to the Micro Card. I KNOW LONGER FEEL THAT 16( 14.3) GB IS ENOUGH FOR THE 1520.I

Really???

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnsa3