Seriously Considering Moving to Windows Phone

jtb79

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
As the title says, I am seriously considering the move to Windows Phone. I have been through them all, iPhone, Android, and Blackberry, but have yet to try WP. The Lumia 925 seems to be the right fit for me out of the current line up (I'm on AT&T). I have a couple of questions I hope some of you experienced WP users can answer. Thanks in advance.

1. I read Google Drive is available in the app store. How does it work? Every other app I use is available, so that's my only app question.
2. How is the music player? I rely heavily on my phone to listen to music while driving to work and generally at least a couple of hours a day.
3. I've heard rumors of WP's being data hogs. I'm on a 4GB plan and have never had issues before. I don't use social media only light web browsing, weather channel app, sports scores, and the occasional you tube video.
4. Lastly, is there an app for this forum?

Thanks for the advice!

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
1. Yes there is a third party Google Drive app that has a pretty good rating, but I use SkyDrive so I cannot comment further on this.
2. The music player is alright. You can't manually seek which is the biggest problem imo. If you care about displaying album art then it might bug you because it doesn't always get it right, but you can download an app to manually add album art (MPATool). The music player has all the basic functions (shuffle, play/pause, skip, rewind, repeat) but it's not as good as on iOS.
3. I have been noticing increased data usage this month compared to last month but idk if my usage has changed or if it's WP to blame. However with 4GB you should be fine. I have the 500MB throttled data plan with T-Mobile and I can make it through most of the month before it slows down.
4. Yes there is an awesome app for this forum! It's ad supported but you can get rid of the ads for $0.99!

Brecht Callens

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
1. Yes there is a third party Google Drive app that has a pretty good rating, but I use SkyDrive so I cannot comment further on this.
2. The music player is alright. You can't manually seek which is the biggest problem imo. If you care about displaying album art then it might bug you because it doesn't always get it right, but you can download an app to manually add album art (MPATool). The music player has all the basic functions (shuffle, play/pause, skip, rewind, repeat) but it's not as good as on iOS.
3. I have been noticing increased data usage this month compared to last month but idk if my usage has changed or if it's WP to blame. However with 4GB you should be fine. I have the 500MB throttled data plan with T-Mobile and I can make it through most of the month before it slows down.
4. Yes there is an awesome app for this forum! It's ad supported but you can get rid of the ads for $0.99!

I agree with everything!

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd suggest consider getting an unlocked 925 or a tmobile 925, since that would have data sense. Most At&t phones don't come with a data tracker, and strip the built in data sense feature out of it.

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Just pulled the trigger on the 925 on ATT. I am an android guy but recently got a new windows 8 computer and had a Lumia 1020 before for about a week but it was just to heavy to carry around for me.

Got a deal on SWAPPA that I was happy with. Also just got 20GB added to skydrive so looking forward to using the auto upload feature for pictures and seeing how the MSFT ecosystem works.

I remember there was a third party app that accessed google drive and it was pretty good. Since the 925 only has 16GB I am keeping the photos on skydrive and looking to use the cloud for music. Have not figured out the cloud for x box yet. I may try the app gmusicw which supposedly lets you play your google play music on your WP. I also have the WP app but I think it cost a buck or so. I found the WP site and I has all of the old apps I tried and purchased so looking forward to being up and running on my 925.

Has anyone downloaded the GDR3 on their ATT 925? How is it working?

jtb79

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. Ordered my 925 last night and its on its way. Looking forward to the experience. Now if I could just find a case I liked.......

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. Ordered my 925 last night and its on its way. Looking forward to the experience. Now if I could just find a case I liked.......

Congrats! The Lumia 925 is a great phone.

Good cases are hard to come by though. I have the Incipio DualPro for my 925 and it does provide nice protection but it makes the 925 thicker and wider. I find myself only putting it on when I'm going out because I really hate putting this phone in a case xD If you do decide to go with the Incipio, do not get the white case. Mine is white and it has stains on it that will not come out. I'd go with black.

Shad0wguy

May 15, 2013
Visit site

richard_rsp

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Congrats! I did the same thing: Normially iOS but had also tried Android and BB10; ended up with a AT&T Lumia 925. Overall the phone is great! I do find myself missing apps (and a built in timer) but nothing that is a deal killer, plus it has a few quirks here and there, but most are fixed with a periodic simple soft reset. Its so good that I really think that WP8 has a good chance at taking a large portion of the marketshare if they can get the apps on board.

As for cases, I originally tried the "Tech21 Impactology Case" from the Microsoft Store. While I feel it provided decent protection to the edges and back, it added too much width to the phone and had a seemed to collect grease from my hands (gross).

I ended up getting the "GreatShield" Guardian S TPU case from Amazon and am thoroughly satisfied. Lots of grip, minimal size, and cheap. While it probably wouldnt offer a lot of protection against impact (if dropped), it does protect against scratching when laying the phone down on the desk, etc, and offers SOME level of lip to protect the screen.

Good luck!

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I ended up ordering an Amzer tpu case and boxwave clear screen protectors from Amazon.
Pretty excited and waiting patiently for Tuesday to get here so I can try out my 925!

Sent from my Moto X!

SirNic

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Tried an Android phone but found Windows 8 much better, they can eat up the data though, especially when streaming video :smile:

Attachments

• Data Sence 1.png
    Data Sence 1.png
    105.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Data Sence 2.png
    Data Sence 2.png
    113.4 KB · Views: 3

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member