Curious as to your settings for your camera?

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
My daughter sparkling new, L1020 (yellow, of course. she would have no other color!) is in process to her. She is generally pumped and excited. I can help her with the WP side of life, but I was thinking:

1) I know nothing about photographs.

2) Advice ALWAYS is better from someone else then from your parents.

So- if you all do not mind sharing, please give some advice on settings for your camera and also any basics you feel are handy on your L1020. Just the preferences you have for things like basic photos, if there is a handy trick for moving objuects, night pictures, whatever. Then, if you have tricks for sharing your photos or if the L1020 has a "quirck" that there are tricks to get around.

I will send her this link, and she can play with your suggestions.

She is also an Instagram fan. Any thoughts on the official app VS. our third party ones will be appreciated as well. She does Facebook a ton,too.

Thanks gang!!
:smile:

Last edited:

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: My daughter finally took the plunge!!

6tag is the best Instagram app.

Also official Facebook beta app is the way to go. I think all 3rd party FB apps at the store are only wrappers for the mobile Facebook site...

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
For using the camera on the 1020 the best advice is to start with the auto mode and only change the flash settings as needed and slowly try out changing the various other settings as you go along and as your confidence grows.
The best way to learn is to experiment and see what happens; no photography manual necessary.

TheCrazySwede

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Camera Settings are really based on circumstances. Using the Pro Cam App, there are 3 Presets (Auto - Night - Sport)
Those are probably best to start out with. Using the more advanced options, you can learn to control the color bias, or White Balance, the exposure, shutter speed, ISO etc.
The Pro Cam app has a great tutorial built into the app that shows off the different results between settings, so check that out for sure. For a Sunny, bright day at the beach, for example, perhaps you need to make the White Balance a bit cooler to compensate for the sand (avoiding any over-saturation), drop the ISO down to 100 for the clearest quality, and perhaps lower the Shutter Speed accordingly, because we want a clear picture in the light and if there's lots of it, we can lower the Shutter Speed. Once she starts getting the hang in things, she might want to take a stab at RAW Photography (Given that she has an AT&T or a Nokia Black Firmware ready device) which lets you snap the shot and later edit it using your own post processing preferences.

Remember, the beautiful thing about the Lumia 1020 and Nokia's Pro Cam app is that the settings used to take a photo are identical to settings you'd find in a DSLR, so if you're more interested in learning about the effects of ISO control, she can always refer to DSLR Camera guides or Youtube for help.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Gang!! She seems to be having fun learning, just like ya'll said she would. She is learning the camera faster then the OS!!

:grin:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos