Migrating from Samsung to Windows?

anon395528

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I could not find anything previous threads....so, I am SERIOUSLY considering going from a Samsung S3 to the 1520. Historically, my Gmail/Google account has handled all my backups pretty easy. If I download the Google app for this phone, should it go the same way? I am hoping January 2nd I go into the local ATT store and make the switch and want to be prepared ahead of time. Thanks in advance.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I could not find anything previous threads....so, I am SERIOUSLY considering going from a Samsung S3 to the 1520. Historically, my Gmail/Google account has handled all my backups pretty easy. If I download the Google app for this phone, should it go the same way? I am hoping January 2nd I go into the local ATT store and make the switch and want to be prepared ahead of time. Thanks in advance.

There's no official google app for Windows Phone 8 because Google and Microsoft hate each other's guts.

The easiest way to switch is to open an outlook.com account and either have your GMail account forwarded there or use the new switch tool and have outlook transfer all your mails from GMail to outlook.

You can also use your GMail account directly via IMAP but then you lose the ability to get your mails pushed to your phone.

your Microsoft account would also handle the backup of your 1520.

Sent from my RM-937_eu_euro2_936 using Tapatalk

Flavio76

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

I was Google all the way, picasa, Gmail, Googledocs etc... When I began to use wphone I realized only way to Me be happy with windowsphone is change all ecosystem .
I did it and I really love the result. You can consider this if it's possible to you...the Microsoft ecosystem have almost all features that google have and other great things that google doesn't.
Try to make the switch , you will mostly be surprised

Happy new phone and happy new year!;!!!!

rmeigs

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

Check this out: Outlook Blog - Outlook.com makes it even easier to switch from Gmail

anon395528

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback...I think Flavio gave me the reality check...I just need to check my ecosystem...which is ok....I am getting pretty fed up with Google as I think many people are migrating to a Windows phone for the same reasons.....

apisfires

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback...I think Flavio gave me the reality check...I just need to check my ecosystem...which is ok....I am getting pretty fed up with Google as I think many people are migrating to a Windows phone for the same reasons.....

you have same path with me. I migrate from S3 too.. You can transfer phone number easily. No worry.. I'm happy migrate.. I'm tired to flash android custom ROM.. Hahaha.. Just my concern is keyboard not good enough..

Flavio76

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Just to add my personal experience, I also had an s3 and a razor HD before, migrate to a 920 at the time, and really love it. I think you will love it too, specially migrating to 1520

William Velez1

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Switching the ecosystem is not as bad as it sounds and really allows for a clean setup that will make your user experience that much better. Do it and you will see what we are talking about. Enjoy.

As a matter of act I will be doing the same with my wife. I got her off the iphone crack pipe to Android, but now I am going to get her to switch yet again to windows in April. It just makes business sense for her to have a uniform user experience across her new Windows 8 Tab, Laptop, etc.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Best ecosystem for corporate, by far. Microsoft has really raised the bar over the last 13 months. I got Apple stuff laying around all over the place. MacBooks, Ipads, iPhones.....

I would have never predicted a little Lumia 920 test drive last year to have turned my world upside down.

Now I'm carrying around a 1520, Surface Pro 2, and a 22" touch screen monitor at my desk.

Just amazing.

anon395528

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Best ecosystem for corporate, by far. Microsoft has really raised the bar over the last 13 months. I got Apple stuff laying around all over the place. MacBooks, Ipads, iPhones.....

I would have never predicted a little Lumia 920 test drive last year to have turned my world upside down.

Now I'm carrying around a 1520, Surface Pro 2, and a 22" touch screen monitor at my desk.

Just amazing.

SNAKE....ok, you got my attention. and, you got me pumped.

Phrozty

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
vegas - Get yourself an outlook account. You can set it up w/your current gmail account (that's what I did years ago). Then, when you log in, go to People (click on the arrow that will show up when you mouse over "outlook" in the top left corner). Link up to your FB account, and notice how it pulls all those contacts in. Export your contacts from gmail and import them to people. Link accounts up where you have multiples (like you stored John Smith's cell number in gmail, but you also have them as a fb friend). Pull in your linkedin accounts and/or whatever else you have.

Now, that entire contact list that you spent so little time hooking up? Once you link your windows account to your WP, which is the first step you do... EVERY contact is instantly available. From the work you just did.. on your computer. Those contacts are also instantly available to any other app on your WP that hooks into the People API. Any changes you make to the contacts on your phone? Instantly synced up to your people.live account.

Now back to the live account. If you click up where you went to find People, you'll notice you have skydrive as well. Here, you can store all your documents. Better yet, download the skydrive app to your computer, and ANYTHING you put into the skydrive folder on your comp is instantly synced to your skydrive account online. Even better, if you allow the proper permissions on the skydrive app on your desktop, the files on your desktop computer... anywhere on your computer... are now accessible from any computer simply by logging into your skydrive account.

Finally, don't forget that you get a full suite of MS office apps on your phone... just because you have a windows phone. And yes, all those apps sync to skydrive, along with any pictures you take on your phone (and of course you can turn any/all of this off if it freaks you out to be that connected).

If that ecosystem doesn't sell you, I don't know what will.

anon395528

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
That is why I rely on legit forums...and, I have the ability to filter haters and fan bois. I was not actually eligible to update for another 8 months but I pleaded my case that Android OS was not getting the job done.....ATT got me hooked up on 1520 Next plan and also the 2520 tablet. My tablet needs are not that great but mostly to show clients webstuff that the LTE will be helpful for. ANOTHER convert in da house! Free shipping and no activation fees.....I can hardly wait to get my geek on once they get shipped.

Phrozty

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
If you have any questions, you know where to come! WP isn't perfect (yet :D) but it's got some serious horsepower under the hood, and the apps are getting filled in more and more as time goes on.

I jumped on the 1520 and 2520 deal as well.. kinda in the same boat. First tablet, and first win 8 device. Wanted to get used to both since I didn't have experience with either and I don't really rely on either one. I have to say I'm a bit frustrated w/my 2520, but the 1520 is just miles above anything out there currently IMO.

anon395528

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
If you have any questions, you know where to come! WP isn't perfect (yet :D) but it's got some serious horsepower under the hood, and the apps are getting filled in more and more as time goes on.

I jumped on the 1520 and 2520 deal as well.. kinda in the same boat. First tablet, and first win 8 device. Wanted to get used to both since I didn't have experience with either and I don't really rely on either one. I have to say I'm a bit frustrated w/my 2520, but the 1520 is just miles above anything out there currently IMO.

Thanks for the honest eval on the 2520......

Phrozty

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the honest eval on the 2520......

I've definitely got hope, because Nokia is an amazing company and they DO take care of their products, and this is the first real release of win 8.1 rt... so yeah, there are going to be bugs. Does that mean we're kind of beta testers? Yep, but once again, with the deal I got and the fact that my tablet is not at all an essential part of my life, it doesn't bother me.

That being said... I was playing Frozen Free Fall once (awesome game) and I was LITERALLY swiping my finger up to win a level that had been getting the best of me for awhile now.... and it crashed. The rage I felt for a split second would make the 13 year old XBL ragers look like eloquent socialites.

anon395528

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
hahahaha....that was funny...

I've definitely got hope, because Nokia is an amazing company and they DO take care of their products, and this is the first real release of win 8.1 rt... so yeah, there are going to be bugs. Does that mean we're kind of beta testers? Yep, but once again, with the deal I got and the fact that my tablet is not at all an essential part of my life, it doesn't bother me.

That being said... I was playing Frozen Free Fall once (awesome game) and I was LITERALLY swiping my finger up to win a level that had been getting the best of me for awhile now.... and it crashed. The rage I felt for a split second would make the 13 year old XBL ragers look like eloquent socialites.

anon395528

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
can someone provide the link for this deal? thx.

Not sure what link you are referencing.....if you are referring to my personal experience it was a plain old fashioned phone call, a keen and experienced ATT salesperson and some of my own experience pitching the sale. I tried the same scenario two weeks ago and got a less veteran salesperson and the deal did not go down. I know everyone has their own hate/love story for the carriers but at the end of the day ATT has always done me right. Here is my mobile autobiographical sketch to bore you as your drink your morning coffee:

I am going to guess it was six years ago AT&T came out with the latest and greatest "smartphone" called the HTC Tilt. What a piece of crap. 6 months into a 2 year congrat they let me abort and jump into the Blackberry family. I did early 18 month upgrades on the BB until their latest Pearl came out and it was a piece of crap. ONE month into that 2 year contract they let me early upgrade into a Samsung Infuse. GREAT PHONE. I lost it on a bike ride about 12 months into a 2 year contract. No early upgrades for another FIVE months...but, I begged and pleaded last October and the local store could not help me but I called AT&T and after some account evaluations they let me upgrade to the Samsung S3. SO, now I was just 14 months into that two year contract and really wanted a phablet for my business......I was so focused on the Note 3 but this time I took a different tack and lamented the Android OS was not working for me and I NEEDED to go to a WIndows OS. Boom shacka lacka. No easy link but some strategy. oldphones_sm.jpg

Phrozty

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I've had really good luck w/my deals @ ATT as well, but be careful from now on... I've talked to multiple reps and they've completely phased out the "you can upgrade in 18 months or slightly before as long as you have a really good excuse" because it undercuts their ATT Next program.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire