Another 920 bites the dust

TobyGadd

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
So, my Lumia 920 is broken AGAIN. The proximity sensor is failing (just like it has done with two other phones), so that when I try to hang up, the screen stays dark like it is still next to my ear. This problem has been temporarily fixed before by sending the phone to Nokia--but the same problem reappears months later. Looks like there is dust entering the case, also depositing a thick layer of junk behind the front-facing camera. Judging by the complaints on various Nokia forums, this is a common problem that Nokia is reported to know about.

But here's the really frustrating part: This time, when I go online to fill out the warranty repair form, the system tells me that it is sending out a UPS shipping label. But it never comes. Instead, I get a dozen automated messages that say, "We are experiencing some system difficulties in completing your repair request. As soon as the issue is sorted out, the relevant information will be sent to you via email." No additional e-mail ever follows after "the issue is sorted out."

I have called Nokia twice to get this resolved, and each time I was asked to resubmit the form. One of the reps even did it for me. Some result--no shipping label, just another wave of e-mails indicating that the system is "experiencing some system difficulties." Then nothing.

I've been dealing with this for a week and a half. My phone is still broken. I am tired enough of having the same problem reappear, but now I am unable to get Nokia to deal with it.

I've been through 4 repair cycles with this phone (2 due to the proximity sensor failure, 1 due to a LED failure, and 1 due to inability to start), and I've about had it. While Nokia has been good about attempting to fix them (up to this point at least!), their customer service is completely failing.

Why post this? In hopes that other people read it and consider their options. While I have been a Nokia fan for years, the evidence is starting to pile up that I should have considered a different brand this time around.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Although I've heard of the dust issue I've never heard of the proximity sensor issue. So, the question needs to be asked what are you doing to your device for this issue to keep happening? It sounds like you are hard on your equipment and probably need a case.

TobyGadd

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Although I've heard of the dust issue I've never heard of the proximity sensor issue.
Google it. Or search these very forums. You'll find lots of instances.

So, the question needs to be asked what are you doing to your device for this issue to keep happening? It sounds like you are hard on your equipment and probably need a case.
So, just because you haven't heard of a common problem means that I'm tough on my equipment? The truth is that I'm not hard on my phone. It lives in my pocket and on the charger. I've had seven smartphones (HTC, iPhone, Nokia), and probably six feature phones over the years. The Nokia 920 is the first one that has ever had issues, except for an old HTC Inspire that was accidentally tossed onto a concrete floor.

I still like the phone, and I like WP 8. Which is why I keep sending it back to get fixed. Alas, if Nokia's service department can't do a better job, I'll reluctantly move back to a different platform.

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The one and only time I have had to have my 920 'fixed' they sent me a replacement first and then I sent my broke one back. Never had to go without my phone. Not sure if you are located outside the US or not so maybe our return/repair service is different.

Now, my wife had a Samsung Focus that this problem cropped up with. Come to find out the case she was using had the cutout for the prox sensor too small and was interfering with it. I have also heard of screen protectors doing the same. This probably isn't your problem but you don't mention if you use a case or screen protector so I thought I would mention it.

If I were you, I'd call Nokia support again and insist that they send you a replacement instead of repairing the phone.

TobyGadd

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
The one and only time I have had to have my 920 'fixed' they sent me a replacement first and then I sent my broke one back. Never had to go without my phone. Not sure if you are located outside the US or not so maybe our return/repair service is different.

Now, my wife had a Samsung Focus that this problem cropped up with. Come to find out the case she was using had the cutout for the prox sensor too small and was interfering with it. I have also heard of screen protectors doing the same. This probably isn't your problem but you don't mention if you use a case or screen protector so I thought I would mention it.

If I were you, I'd call Nokia support again and insist that they send you a replacement instead of repairing the phone.

Yep, no screen protector. Good idea though, thanks.

I tried contacting support on Facebook, since I've had poor luck over the phone. They asked me to post the problem to Twitter (weird--do they really want me to keep publicizing this problem?). I got an e-mail address, which I've tried. Hopefully I'll hear something back soon.

The crazy part about this is that I've never had a problem with them at least getting me a shipping label before. But they just can't seem to get it through their heads that the system keeps sending me an error e-mail, not an actual shipping label e-mail.

I'm thinking that maybe Nokia needs to upgrade my phone at this point, but I'm not asking for it yet...

TobyGadd

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Still no response to my e-mail, other than an automated acknowledgement.

I think that I'm reluctantly finished with Nokia. I really like WP8, and I like Nokia's hardware (when it works). But I don't think that I have a choice. The phone doesn't work, and there doesn't seem to be a way to get someone to deal with it. I realize that not everyone's experience with Nokia has been so bad, but this has been mine. Too bad.

Nakazul

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
In my experience with the 920 I noticed when the phone go bad it really go bad. Its like there impossible to repair. I had a 920 repaired 3 times and they never got it right.
I got to replace the phone and got a L1020. Its the best phone I ever had with the 920 winning the worst I ever had award.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I had s*** luck with tech support ( had a battery drain problem ie app sticking, figured it out myself amazingly) but my 920 has actually sold me on Nokia. I will look at what the have to offer before anyone else. If I had 2-3 phones junk out on me I would move on.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Considering Samsung's Cheap plastic(and limited support), Htc only released one major phone and that was in 2012....Huawei and Zte are not premium hardware, there really is no comparable brand of Windows phone to Lumias.

It's why i have owned a Lumia 810, 3 lumia 920(i changed multiple times for colors :p), Lumia 1020 and Lumia 1520 :D

I never had any issues with my hardware/nokia support(to date), so i am a bit shocked to hear this but hope those having issues can resolve it positively.

TobyGadd

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
In my experience with the 920 I noticed when the phone go bad it really go bad. Its like there impossible to repair. I had a 920 repaired 3 times and they never got it right.
I got to replace the phone and got a L1020. Its the best phone I ever had with the 920 winning the worst I ever had award.
I do like Windows Phone 8, so I'm hesitant to jump back to a Android or an iPhone. I'll check out the 1020 before totally giving up...

TobyGadd

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I finally received a call from Nokia! A nice lady (Hazel) manually e-mailed me a repair ticket with a shipping label. She reassures me that they will actually fix the problem this time. I'll be sending it off to Nokia tomorrow. All it took was three weeks, four phone calls, three emails, and a whole stream of useless exchanges on Facebook. If I were in their marketing department, I would have just e-mailed a different model of phone, along with a written apology and a Starbucks coupon! But, hey, maybe Nokia's right--I'm privileged to be their customer, and the time and trouble that I've gone through to get my phone sent in isn't worth a damn.

NokFromApp

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I've had a tough time with my 920 as well. I am probably on my 5th or 6th device. But browsing the forums for other devices, it is clear to me that most of the issues Nokia had were with the 920 and most other models do not have these widespread manufacturing issues. I can also tell you that Nokia first tried repairs, then sent me a refurbished device which refused to charge. Finally, they sent me a brand new device. I don't want to jinx it, but I haven't had any issues with it from the time I got it. Before that, I had all sorts of issues including weird sounds from the phone, flash not working, battery drain, battery not charging. I've not even had to soft reset this one even once.
BTW, I did go the Stephen Elop route. And within 24 hours, he had responded

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Considering Samsung's Cheap plastic(and limited support), Htc only released one major phone and that was in 2012....Huawei and Zte are not premium hardware, there really is no comparable brand of Windows phone to Lumias.

It's why i have owned a Lumia 810, 3 lumia 920(i changed multiple times for colors :p), Lumia 1020 and Lumia 1520 :D

I never had any issues with my hardware/nokia support(to date), so i am a bit shocked to hear this but hope those having issues can resolve it positively.

hows the 1520? My 920 kicks *** so I am reluctant to move on but that 1520, although bigger than I like, sounds friggin awesome.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750