Finally unlocked 1520 and a happy end to 2013 - My Rant/Soap box - hope for 2014

William Velez1

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I pretty stoked cuz my Nokia 1520 has been freed from the AT&T shackles?.Free at last, Free at last?

Apologies for the lengthy unorganized rant below...

Powering up my crystal ball for 2014 and closing 2013 with an unlocked 1520 - Reflecting on the last 7 days waiting and why ? So much time wasted on calls, unanswered emails, batteries drained from hitting refresh/sync email. What a bunch of bull.

My Nokia 1520 will share duties with my Nokia 925. My 925 was my main driver from release date until today and I will continue to use it. It will NOT suffer the same fate of the GS Note II and the iPhone 5 in my desk drawer currently. As I mentioned above, today is another Xmas day for me because today I finally got my Nokia 1520 works on T-Mobile And yes it works here in the 602 area code with full LTE. This unlock was made possible thx to our AT&T business wireless account. But the point here is WHY do they makes us do this to begin with?

As consumers we want options and freedom. We do NOT need to be forced to switch carriers to have the phone we want to have in our pockets. 7 days waiting for code and why ?

Why does Nokia & Microsoft allow for carriers to enjoy the "Premier Partner" partnership tag,a tags that hurt the WP8 brand, treat the WP8 adopter as third class citizens and these partnerships have proven over and over again that they only stifle the growth of the platform, they stifle expansion of the ecosystem, and make the consumer to go through hacks and back doors to get a phone we really want to have. Again like me, waiting 7 days to get an unlock code. I can buy a gun here faster than getting an unlock code for a paid in full phone...this is retarded. This process needs to change.

Allow me to digress and jump on my soap box to rant about WP8. I am not getting paid for this and the below is just my personal opinion. Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one and here is mine.

As we ride the Nokia 1520 momentum OK more like riding a very small tidal wave. OK. Maybe it is more like a diminutive ripple effect in the pond of Mobile phone universe when compared to the grand scheme of things of a world idiotified by iOS and Android and the big $$$ pushing their devices to us. What can we do to make people take a yellow pill and have them wake up in a whole new Matrix??.

I sincerely hope 2014 is a year where Nokia and or Microsoft really step up. Step up in a BIG way with full relentless backing of the platform in every dimension from Business Marketing to app Development, to finally developing that killer phone. That Phone that people will wait out in the cold for its release and skip work for days. I must say I was one of those idiots from the first iPhone until the iPhone 4. I would line up and I was always be the first one to the point I would plan vacation days to ensure I was #1. My first windows experience came with Windows CE and an old Phillips Nino (Palm Pilot for the poor folks) and moved to a Windows 6 phone (I think it was the HTC Tilt2). Later I went to Sprint with the promise of 4G that never came and to get my Android fix. Finally went to T-Mobile a few years back and we are going strong...for now.

I personally think the current crop of WP8 devices are leap years ahead to my last HTC Tilt2 back in the day. Would I stay out in the cold, starve, skip work for the current crop of phone or options? No. Not really. In fact Hell NO!

I remember walking to a retail store this past summer wanting to buy the Nokia 925, and the rep did everything in his power to get me to switch to Sony Experia, I already had a GS Note II in my hands which is a great phone, but NOT for me. I did walk out with my white T-mobile Nokia Lumia 925 nevertheless. But for every one like me that goes in to a retailer set on WP8 device, there those that do take the bait or drink the Kool-aid and get persuaded NOT to go WP8 because the perceived app ecosystem stigma. I think most of the issues and negatives in retail stores are based on hearsay and not based on actual training. 9 times of 10 you will get the app ecosystem shpeal which will depend on each individual consumer anyway. No Instagram, OK so what. But we have App X that does the same Fn thing. I had a similar experience when buying my Surface Pro 2 but that?s another thread and another story.

I fault Microsoft & Nokia here for the lack of go-get-itness(not a word. I know) attitude toward marketing and lack followup or follow through. They do send reps to retailers to give them Training that may be an hour or so with some handouts. So what!!

Give the retailers a 5 or 10 day challenge with actual units, and let the grunts see the value of the platform and the value the device provides. Some local AT&T stores(sad to say) have done just that and the Reps are still carrying their WP8 devices and they become your hands-on resident experts even advocates. Incentivize!, Incentivize!, Incentivize!. Play car dealer tactics, I don?t care but do something!! A media blitz once in a blue moon is not enough, be relentless?.SHOCK and AWE us damm it!!

I sincerely hope T-Mobile's 2014 strategy or stance around WP8 devices will change due to some recent facts released around T-Mobile's over-taking AT&T in sales of WP8 devices & activations thanks to the Nokia 520 price point & the Un-carriers affordable plans. And T-Mobile is not a "Preferred Partner" per say. The Nokia 520 was the phone that hooked me back to Windows phone and then Nokia 925 came out and I was done. A marriage set in heaven.

The numbers/stats released should also provide Nokia & Microsoft with a "come to Jesus" moment or at least come to the realization that AT&T (Verizon too) "Premier Partner" partner tag was not a good business alliance and in the end the alliances only hurt the business plan; to be profitable and capture market share. And is hurts us too damm it!

In the interim there will be NO market share increase here is the US until carriers stop their biased sales push away from WP8 devices. A Carrier's job is to give me options, show me the value that the consumer will get from a platform to allow me to make the decision. The store reps don't get paid by me, but they may get Incentivized! TO PUSH a product, or OS and they become recruiters serving their own pocket agenda. From personal experience all I hear in stores is the focus on the apps negatives of the OS which are valid, but is not as bleak of a picture as the majority of uninformed consumer gets as soon as they walk in the door and starts asking about a WP8 device.

T-Mobile likes to play the role of the Un-carrier, the underdog, being of the people and for the people, but honestly they need to fight a lot harder to get better phones, and more variety/freedom. T-Mobile - If you get them cool phones?.they will come!

Here is to hoping/dreaming for a better 2014. I hope Microsoft or Nokia take notice and really exploit/expand/improve the user experience across devices, for home or office which I really love, but specially they need push themselves (and others) to give us the next big thing. I REALLY REALLY want to camp out with a bunch of other crazy Fr's?.to get my next Kick A$$ WP8 device.

[*]B]Start with WFC 2014[/B] -
[*]Remove the shackles and chains and give us carrier freedom to start.
[*]DO NOT allow carrier specific specs (Qi vs PMS..oops) - from a manufacturing perspective it diverts production lines and resources to create niche product handicapped for one Fn carrier, a carrier that doesn't care about WP8, and only cares about their individual market share. Nokia Lumia RM-940 is a prime example.

[*]Start adding the little things that make us happier, and support for the development community (bribes/rewards work too).

But wouldn't it be cool to have a new WP8 device that will turn the carrier's table, sales and be able to call the shots like Apple/Samsung do today? What is stopping Nokia & Microsoft from competing? Take some of those concept phones floating around the web and make them for REAL.

So how does this tie back to the Nokia 1520 thread or any thread?...not sure. Oh yeah, I got on my soap box and started typing after waiting 7 days and numerous courteous calls to AT&T for an unlock code for my Nokia 1520 I was bound to go crazy anyway...But One thing is for sure 2014 better be different, cuz I hate to buy AT&T phones and wait 7 days for an unlock codes to use them internationally or on T-mobile or the next carrier or any way I want.

Happy New Year?sorry for the rant but I feel so much better.

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Don't ever turn it off or restart it! I'd hate for you to have to see the boot animation now that you're on T Mobile. :winktongue:

mmbond

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Hey William: Wondering how you managed this. I too have been trying through our AT&T Wireless Business Account without success. Any help you could provide would be very much appreciated!!!

Flavio76

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Hey William: Wondering how you managed this. I too have been trying through our AT&T Wireless Business Account without success. Any help you could provide would be very much appreciated!!!
I have no more hope here.
HHave a wonderful 1520 bought full price from Microsoft and can not use overseas where I live... Att told me twice that I should return the phone....

I ccalled Microsoft and opened the procedure to return the phone...

Im pretty mad with this whole thing,....

William Velez1

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
If you have a physical MS store close by you should be able to just walk in and return it assuming the phone is mint condition....they may not give $$ back if it has been more than 14 days I thnk but U will get MS Credit.

ahmad12

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Happy new year to you and everyone lucky you I live in Chandler and been trying for a long time and NO luck maybe you can sell me your phone.

Krypto7

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
What exactly did you do to get your Lumia unlocked. I'm sure everyone here would greatly appreciate the help. I know I would.

ahmad12

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
What exactly did you do to get your Lumia unlocked. I'm sure everyone here would greatly appreciate the help. I know I would.

Anyone with an at&t account can, but will have to fight at&t on it. If you paid full price you can start a case and if that fails you can file a BBB complaint I am not an at&t customer so thats not an option for me.

chuck232

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I must've been pretty lucky. I purchased a 1520 off contract for full price, got onto the AT&T International travel chat and asked for an unlock. I was instructed to use the online form, but the IMEI was rejected. They said I needed to have the phone for 60 days before they could process. I asked them to submit a request anyways directly, and they did. I was told that there was no guarantee that my request would be granted.

They then sent me a case number in email, along with instructions to submit my receipt (scan). I did so, and about 2 business days later (this was over the holidays), I got an email with the unlock code. I just need to find another nanoSIM to give it a try.

Krypto7

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
What that's insane. I have submitted two separate cases and have not received and email, and I already faxed my info. They told me I would receive an email but never did. How did you get on international chat were you a customer?

Flavio76

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
What that's insane. I have submitted two separate cases and have not received and email, and I already faxed my info. They told me I would receive an email but never did. How did you get on international chat were you a customer?

They did the same thing with me.
I opened the case and they always say that will contact me by email etc etc...but no, the do no contact , they just denied the case, don't ask for anything

Flavio76

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I must've been pretty lucky. I purchased a 1520 off contract for full price, got onto the AT&T International travel chat and asked for an unlock. I was instructed to use the online form, but the IMEI was rejected. They said I needed to have the phone for 60 days before they could process. I asked them to submit a request anyways directly, and they did. I was told that there was no guarantee that my request would be granted.

They then sent me a case number in email, along with instructions to submit my receipt (scan). I did so, and about 2 business days later (this was over the holidays), I got an email with the unlock code. I just need to find another nanoSIM to give it a try.
Are you an att ccustomer ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05