Lumia 920 AT&T in Panama can't get Amber or GDR2 update

bravo45

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Basically it all started with my annoyance with the camera. It almost never took sharp focused pics especially on something in the distance. Then I found out that the amber update has a new cam app which has manual focus.

I just found out there is Amber update and then GDR2 which are two different things. I have been checking forever and never got either. I went to the US and called AT&T (my phone is unlocked), they were not sure but said I might have to use an AT&T sim to get it. I was unable to do that coz my stay was short but I got a hold of a straight talk sim (which runs on AT&T). But that didn't work either.

Recently my phone started getting stuck on "resuming" screen, which I looked up had probably something to do with VOIP apps like Skype, which I just uninstalled to see if it works.

So basically its frustrating to never have been able to use the camera which is right now the only one I have as I am alone here in Panama with not a lot of stuff. I just heard a GDR3 coming out and its sad that I don't even have the 2....

Please help... and I am not very used to messing with phones so I might ask some explanation for some stuff, but I promise I will first try to look it up before asking.

2lalaland

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I wanted to let you know that I have a new 920 & it's 1st service carrier is Straight Talk with an AT&T sim card & I got the Amber/gdr2 update. Just today I was looking at the different apps in the store & saw you could pay for the Amber update as an app? Not sure what that was about but seemed strange that they would have a paid app for that when it should all be free.

bravo45

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I am pretty sure straight talk has its own sim which is different from and at&t sim.

Are you sure its the amber update and not an update checker?? I have seen numerous of those, both free and some for sale.

bravo45

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Isn't there any way to do it online through a laptop etc?? I have lost all faith and trust in Nokia for slaving themselves to at&t or microsoft in whom I never really had any trust ever... at least not for many many years now.

mirzafida

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
have you already tried to "check for updates" on phone update settings? Or, try to reset your phone and reinstall your apps.
don't get frustrated, you can ask here and waiting for the answer from our expert member who know much better with windows phone :)

bravo45

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a lot for the replies

I have definitely tried the "check for updates" option. In fact that is the only one I know of. I am willing to consider a reset, I would need to know the procedure and obviously need to backup the data.

To try and get help from experts is the reason I am here... Thanks for the support!!

benedict

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Use Nokia software update for retail to manually update, it's user friendly, download > install > connect phone > check updates, it happens sometimes that ota check is delayed but software check on the PC detects the update

benedict

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes data will be deleted, as for risks, if something goes wrong, you can flash it, just let it complete the process without interruption and you will be fine

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb