Should i buy the Lumia 1520 or not?

darwichee

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I?ve never used a WP device before, and i really used to change phones alot, after seeing many reviews of 1520 on youtube i decided that i want it, but after i spent a hour or so on this forum, i don?t longer know if i should take the chance or not.

The big issues for now with this device is the screen sensitivity, and the poor low light in Video. And im not sure if these issues really are software or hardware,
The phone is going to release here in Sweden about 2 weeks, do you think Nokia will fix these until it, or i might go back to Android again.

sbps1

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I would get it. I too was concerned about having issues but I have none on mine. Really you are seeing on this forum a select number of people with issues. Many of the issues can and will be easily fixed by an update.

MAkhdar

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
If you go to any smartphone forum on the internet you will find people who have issues with their new phones. Remember that the people who don't have problems aren't they ones who will be the most vocal because they are busy enjoying their phones :smile:. You usually don't go searching online if you don't have a problem or a question. I would suggest you go to a store that has the phone when it comes out and hold it and see how you like it.

darwichee

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
If you go to any smartphone forum on the internet you will find people who have issues with their new phones. Remember that the people who don't have problems aren't they ones who will be the most vocal because they are busy enjoying their phones :smile:. You usually don't go searching online if you don't have a problem or a question. I would suggest you go to a store that has the phone when it comes out and hold it and see how you like it.

But doesnt every lumia 1520 have the "poor low light " on video capturing?, thats what i?ve read. Same thing about the sensitvty?

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I?ve never used a WP device before, and i really used to change phones alot, after seeing many reviews of 1520 on youtube i decided that i want it, but after i spent a hour or so on this forum, i don?t longer know if i should take the chance or not.

The big issues for now with this device is the screen sensitivity, and the poor low light in Video. And im not sure if these issues really are software or hardware,
The phone is going to release here in Sweden about 2 weeks, do you think Nokia will fix these until it, or i might go back to Android again.

Nokia are saying there'll be an update in week 3 or 4. After my own experience with several 1520s, I'd say wait a couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
But doesnt every lumia 1520 have the "poor low light " on video capturing?, thats what i?ve read. Same thing about the sensitvty?

The low light thing is common to all Lumias as this is not a bug but the result of a sub-optimal lens / sensor combination. Low-light photography isn't much better, either.

The sensitivity thing is more than likely a hardware problem as I've gone through three different 1520s and they all had it, albeit to drastically different degrees. Nokia might be able to ameliorate the problem with a software fix.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a source for this? Have they said what they will be fixing?

Just do a quick search here - the link to the Nokia discussions forum has been mentioned in several threads. They say they'll try to ameliorate the swipe/click problem.

darwichee

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
The low light thing is common to all Lumias as this is not a bug but the result of a sub-optimal lens / sensor combination. Low-light photography isn't much better, either.

The sensitivity thing is more than likely a hardware problem as I've gone through three different 1520s and they all had it, albeit to drastically different degrees. Nokia might be able to ameliorate the problem with a software fix.

But the Low light problem wont be fixed with an update, am i right? Because your saying it has somthing to do with the lens? What kind of problem did you have with yours, because you returned 3 of them?

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
But the Low light problem wont be fixed with an update, am i right? Because your saying it has somthing to do with the lens? What kind of problem did you have with yours, because you returned 3 of them?
I'm not sure how much stock you should put in what he said, given that Nokia has made an emphasis on photography and low-light photography. That's why they used an f2.0 lens on some models, why they introduced optical image stabilization to cameras, and why they put a very large photosensor into the 1020. Yes ,there are problems now, but no one here has any knowledge about the "fixability" of these via firmware - -we do know that the latest firmware for the 1020 improved the color balance and noise on the 1020, which already had a great camera.

I did a quick web search for "lumia low light photography" and got these hits:
10 stunning Nokia Lumia 920 low light photos taken by you - Nokia Conversations
Ad compares low-light photography on Nokia Lumia 928 with Apple iPhone 5 and Galaxy S4
Nexus 5 vs Nokia Lumia 1020 low-light camera comparison

These will give you an idea of the evolution of cameras on Lumia phones.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

The first one constantly rebooted, had a massive case of the swipe/click problem and a screen issue (shadow in the upper right corner). The second one had a faulty vibration module. The third one is almost perfect - has some dust under the screen (minimal, not visible when the phone is on) and still has a mild case of swipe/click. Other than that it's fine - no wifi issues etc.

And no, the low-light performance is unlikely to be improved with a software update

darwichee

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
How come the sound qualite while recording sounds bad compare to all other phones out there? (1020, G2, for example), and the 1520 is suppose to have 4 mic.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Low-light video recording is not good but low-light photography is a different matter. You just need to adjust the ISO and exposure settings. Better if you use a tripod.

For the sound, I think it captures sound pretty well. If only we have LTE around our mine site, I would gladly share the videos I captured with it.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Low-light video recording is not good but low-light photography is a different matter. You just need to adjust the ISO and exposure settings. Better if you use a tripod.

For the sound, I think it captures sound pretty well. If only we have LTE around our mine site, I would gladly share the videos I captured with it.

lowering the ISO and using a tripod might work for taking pictures of things that don't move but aren't really an option for taking family pictures. The fact is that even the N5 has a better low-light performance than the 1520 - I just did a quick comparison over at pocketpc.ch

Sent from my RM-937_eu_euro2_936 using Tapatalk

amir rosli

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
B4 i bought my 1020, i like to get 1520 of course many things to offer in 1520 specs,when i think again,i go for 1020 bcoz i like photography alot..so why not i go for 1020...i choose 1020 too its,easy to carry n take picture. 1020 size more confrtble in handy..so i didnt regret using 1020 now n wait for Windows black update..cheers

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
If you go into it with the mindset that you will have a bad experience then you will. If that is the case then stick with what you have.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett